Board meeting Minutes/12 June 2006
29 May 2006
|Board meeting Minutes||Next:
19 June 2006
Minutes approved: 19 June 2006
- Tom Perrine (chair), Matthew Barr, Trey Harris, Doug Hughes, Chris Palmer, Pat Wilson (note taker), Sam Albrecht
- Andrew Hume, David Parter (speaking at NC*SA), Stephen Potter
- 20:04 Eastern Time
- 21:06 Eastern Time
- 1 Consent Agenda
- 2 Action Items
- 3 Standing Reports
- 4 Project Copyright Policy
- 5 Locals group program
- 6 Business plan review and approval
- 7 Volunteer recognition program
- 8 Annual meeting?
- 9 Notes/announcements
- 10 Adjournment
- Approve minutes of 29 May 2006
- Development Committee (Wilson/Potter)
- Partnership and Liason Committee (Perrine)
- Leadership Committee (Greg Rose)
- Policy Committee (Harris)
- Communications Committee
- Membership Committee
- Conference Planning Committee (Wilson/Perrine)
- Training event (Parter): see wiki
- UCSD Campus LISA on July 18th - Wilson will be present for LOPSA
- Usenix Security - we'll draft LOPSA ambassadors who are planning to attend to be low-key presence
- Technical (Online) Services (Hughes/Parter)
- Parter - Monthly transaction/product sales reports - not present; no report
- Parter - Mailing lists/online forum - not present; no report
- Parter - Sponsorships page from database - not present; no report
- Content Services Committee (Palmer/Potter)
Palmer reports we're getting 3-4 new stories per week for the website, and expects this to increase in the future. He's also working on a piece for external publication.
- Hume - Prepare statement about AH payment [due 6/12] - not present; no report now due 6/19
- Hume - prepare annual financial report [due 6/12] - not present; no report now due 6/19
- Coordinate (with Perrine) volunteers for outreach project. - in progress
- Post a description of the Resume Standards project - not present; no report
- Present draft financial policies for Board approval - not present; no report
- Work with Usenix to pursuade them to sign a grant letter to the IRS - not present; no report
ACTION ITEM: Albercht to touch base with IRS - due 6/26
- Produce a proposal for a volunteer recognition program (with Harris, Parter) [due 6/12] - see below in agenda
- Re-read business plan
- Treasurer's report (first meeting of the month only)
- Albrecht sent out April financials on 6/12/06.
- Membership report
- See report for this week's status
- now at 505 members; Tom Limoncelli recruited the most
- Online report
Hughes reports that there are new member reports available, menus and content have been revamped with those developed on the test site, and there is a volunteer looking at mapping APIs
Project Copyright Policy
MOTION: Palmer moves to approve the Project copyright policy policy as written. Seconded by Hughes. Motion passes.
This policy is a default policy to govern the creation of content by committees or projects of LOPSA, in absense of a specific arrangement or exemption established by the Board for a given project.
Ownership of copyright
Ownership of the copyright on content created by a committee or project of LOPSA shall be held by LOPSA.
Rights of attribution
LOPSA commits not to publish or otherwise disseminate any material created by a committee or project of LOPSA without giving authorship credit to all contributors. This right may be waved by project or committee members where appropriate.
Publication of material
If content created under this policy is published, LOPSA pledges to publish it openly for any person to access; no material created under this policy will be published in such a manner that only LOPSA members may access it. If the material is for sale rather than freely available, then LOPSA may offer it to members at a discount.
Content may be created and rights transferred to LOPSA under other conditions and terms by exceptions granted by the Board on a per-project or per-committee basis.
Locals group program
[Harris joins at 20:37]
MOTION: Palmer moves to approve the charter of the LOPSA Locals Program. Hughes seconds. Passes (Harris abstains)
Palmer will write a blurb to launch the program for the June Memo to Members.
- Approved text:
Purpose of "LOPSA locals" program
The purpose of the LOPSA Locals activity is to give LOPSA members a "local community", local support and local activities. The concept of "year round hallway track" is major component of the locals philosophy.
The local organizations provide much-needed local support to our members, and the LOPSA organization supports those efforts.
Kinds of Local Organizations
There are two kinds of local groups that can have a relationship with LOPSA: local chapters and local affiliates. In general, Chapters are part of LOPSA and their members are LOPSA members. LOPSA supports the Chapters so that they can support the members. Affiliates are not part of LOPSA, but undertake activities that are in some way supportive of our community or members. LOPSA may provide some support to specific activities of these organizations to support our members or the community.
LOPSA has a policy of forming mutually beneficial relationships with other organizations that support our goals and our members and letting each group choose the relationship that works best for LOPSA and themselves.
A LOPSA Local Chapter is a local presence and part of LOPSA. Local Chapters carry on the goals and programs of LOPSA at a local level. Its members are LOPSA members, and its elected officers are covered by LOPSA's insurance. Chapters are bound by the LOPSA Bylaws. A Chapter must have at least TWELVE paid members. Provisional chapters (for the first 12 months) must have at least THREE paid members.
A LOPSA Student Chapter is a special case of a LOPSA Local Chapter. The main differences are the membership requirements, some special programs aimed specifically at students, a special advisor, and the level of support provided by LOPSA. A LOPSA Student Chapter is made up of LOPSA student members at a university/college and their Chapter Advisor. Student chapters carry on the goals and programs of LOPSA at a local level with an emphasis on education.
A LOPSA Student Chapter is a local presence at an educational institution and part of LOPSA. Its members are LOPSA Student members, and its elected officers and Student Chapter Advisor(s) are covered by LOPSA's insurance. Student Chapters are bound by the LOPSA Bylaws. A Chapter must have at least SIX paid members and one paid standard member as a Student Chapter Advisor. Provisional status can be granted with THREE paid student members (plus the Advisor) for the first year.
Local affiliates are independent local groups that share similar goals with LOPSA and in some way serve the system administration community and our members in their area. Affiliates are NOT part of LOPSA and will receive support from LOPSA primarily to assist them in providing services to our members and the community.
The LOPSA Board of Directors reserves the right to revoke Chapter status.
Business plan review and approval
moved to 6/19 meeting
Volunteer recognition program
Final approval moved to 6/19 meeting
Is the Board obligated to meet in person annually?
No, the Bylaws do not ever explicitly specify in-person meetings of the Board. There is a requirement for an "Annual Director's Meeting" midway through the term of office, and one of the normal meetings in late July or August will be designated as such.
Perrine announces a return to weekly Board meetings, effective immediately (next meeting is therefore 19 June 2006).
Harris apologizes for 26 June
MOTION to adjourn by Barr, seconded by Hughes. Adjourned at 21:06 ET.