Board meeting Minutes/12 May 2008

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
28 April 2008
Board meeting Minutes Next:
9 June 2008



Present
Trey Harris (chair), Chris Palmer, David Parter, Stephen Potter, Jesse Trucks, Derek Balling, Matthew Barr, Philip Kizer, Deepa Solanki
Guests
Sam Albrecht
Absent
Bob Apthorpe
Opened
8:07pm Eastern Time
Closed
10:05pm Eastern Time

Consent Agenda

Consent agenda passes.

Executive Session (Harris)

  • Executive Session called by chair, with Solanki and Albrecht invited to report.

Board enters executive session with Solanki and Albrencht at 8:08pm EDT.

Board exits executive session at 8:33 EDT.

Disposition of matching gift programs (Harris)

The question has come up of how funds disbursed through a corporate matching gift program should be considered with regards to sponsorship. A policy needs to be drafted, but first the Board needs to answer (at least) two questions:

  1. Does the employee get individual sponsorship credit for the funds from a corporate match?
    • Consensus is yes, with the proviso that the employee must have personally directed the funds and that the employer had no choice in where the funds were directed.
  2. Is the employer offered corporate sponsorship for the funds from an employee-directed corporate match (which they can decline)?
    • Consensus is no, but:
      • LOPSA wishes to encourage matching programs, so when appropriate will send a note of thanks or other such informal recognition to the corporate matcher
      • Companies that do a directed drive for giving to LOPSA involving a match should receive some sort of sponsorship credit, to be decided on an ad-hoc basis
  • Comment Bullet Points:
    • Treat the payment as a bonus therefore should be credited to employee and this is who should receive recognition.
    • Companies are not usually looking to advertise their charitable deeds, appropriate to recongnize the individual.
    • If one large check is received from a company (with no names), they can be approached at that point - case by case basis.
    • Some board members feel the company should get the recognition as it is their money. If we had a large number of checks coming in, would we contact the company to decipher names?


Albrecht departs at 9:00 EDT.

Standing Reports

  • Executive Director's report
    • Bitpusher may be doing a mailing through AH. Touched base with Halligan. Waiting to confirm.
    • Cafepress account - $7 per month. No action in two years. Close or promote?
    • Basecamp - OK to move forward. Will start uploading all open items.
    • Membership Brochure - resend to Trucks and Palmer.
    • Member survey - Sample questions sent to board. Still pending review.
    • Founding member certificates - verbiage received. Will be mailed out this week.
    • Health Insurance - document to Exec Committee for review.
    • Jobs Board - Still need to review free postings and possible spamming issues.
    • Stock Brockerage application. - in progress.
  • Treasurer's report (second meeting of the month only)
  • Membership report
  • Technical services report
  • Conference/events activities report
  • Development report (Meeting focus at first meeting of the month)
  • Upcoming MtM (last meeting of the month only)

Solanki leaves at 9:08 EDT.

Action Items

  • All:
    • Pearson discount?
      • Potter to send a message to Pearson contacts.
    • How do we handle items falling through the cracks when sent to board@?

Trucks leaves at 9:16 EDT.

Executive Session (Harris)

Board enters executive session at 9:19 EDT.

Board exits executive session at 10:04 EDT.

  • Reported out of executive session:
MOTION: To appoint and authorize a committee of Trey Harris, Philip Kizer and Stephen Potter to discuss legal issues with outside counsel, authorized to spend up to $1000 in so doing. Motion passed.

Adjournment

MOTION to adjourn by Balling, second Barr. Passes.

Board adjourns at 10:05 EDT.