Board meeting Minutes/13 February 2006

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
6 February 2006
Board meeting Minutes Next:
20 February 2006



Minutes approved: 20 February 2006

Present
Tom Perrine (chair), Trey Harris, Doug Hughes, Andrew Hume, Chris Palmer, David Parter, Stephen Potter, Pat Wilson (note taker), Sam Albrecht
Apologies
Matthew Barr
Opened
20:30 Eastern Time
Closed
21:48 Eastern Time

Consent Agenda

Consent agenda approved.

Action Items

Board Committees

  • Development Committee (Wilson/Potter)
    • Wilson - Work on proposals for potential sponsors - no action
  • Partnership and Liason Committee (Perrine)
    • Perrine- Write another note to the Advisory Council as soon as biz plan first draft complete - still pending biz plan

Perrine notes that he's gotten helpful feedback on the buisness plan.

  • Leadership Committee (Greg Rose)
  • Communications Committee
    • Palmer -- Fix the problems with the postcard and revisit information requested - in progress
  • Membership Committee
    • Harris, Albrecht - membership kit
      • Report from Albrecht - stationary in, code of ethics in, waiting for new graphics on membership card, certificate holders (shipped to us on Friday), database ready. Plan A is to run mailmerge on Tuesday or Wednesday - hope that the membership cards are done by Thursday, and print them also, with everything to be mailed by Friday.

Program Committees

  • Conference Planning Committee (Wilson/Perrine)
    • Barr, Perrine, Wilson - present several possible scenarios for LOPSA training events - in progress
      • Report from Albrecht - preliminary cost scenarios sent to Wilson, Perrine.
  • Technical (Online) Services (Hughes/Parter)
    • Albrecht, Hughes - extend member database - Done
    • Albrecht, Barr, Parter to define an expedited member registration process for use at SCALE. - Done
  • Content Services Committee (Palmer/Potter)
    • Palmer, Potter - Contact other LISA '05 content contributors with hosting offer - in progress; waiting for replies

Non-Committee

  • Financial
    • Hume - Present draft financial policies for Board approval. - in progress
    • Note from Albrecht - there was some discussion on when the Board should see financials, hours, and staff activity reports. The current work-to date is the 20th of the month following the close. For example, you should see January financials by 2/20. You should have seen 2005 financials by 1/20, but we've run into a delay due to matching up multiple membership reports for accounting and still have to track down Amazon payment. Deepa and I hope to meet with accounting this week to finalize 05 and Jan 06. We are spending extra time on these efforts to ensure future accuracy. I don't know if we can meet the 2/20 goal for Jan 06, but for future months, it shouldn't be a problem.
  • Albrecht:
    • Give a plausible estimate of fully loaded member cost — Done; see on wiki.
    • Draft letter of agreement for LOPSA-AH 2006 work.
      • Report from Albrecht - draft done and given to AH management. Should have draft to Board by next Monday.
  • Barr:
  • Harris:
    • Put an item on this agenda regarding how the Membership Committee would like to proceed regarding membership drives — see wiki - Done; see below
  • Hughes:
    • Speak with the volunteer coordinator (Hans Kugler) regarding setting up some regular reporting methods. -Done
  • Hume:
    • Review minutes and provide a list of redactions pertaining to SAGECom that may now be restored - Done
  • Palmer:
  • Parter:

Notes discussion on discuss mailing list re: mailing word documents. PDF is preferred if text is not workable. Albrecht will take under advisement.

  • Perrine:
  • Potter:
  • Wilson:
  • All:
    • Flesh out charges/specifications for 90 day services listed on project plan - in progress

Standing Reports

  • Membership report
members 333
payment pending 6
paper signups at SCALE unknown

How did you learn about LOPSA?:

from another kind of local group 1
from SAGE 11
from a friend 9
at a trade-show booth 5
other 6
at USENIX LISA conference 14
on the world wide web 3
from a mail list 4
from a local sysadmin group 2
from a magazine advertisement 0

Growth seems to have leveled out at ~10 new members/week.

  • Online report
    • added verisign transaction reports page
    • all members now in the membership database

Preliminary SCALE report (paw)

[ Hughes joins at 20:40 ET ]

The LOPSA presence at SCALE was successful - 10-20 new members joined at the show, and the stock of "postcard" applications was exhausted (Welch quickly produced a PDF version that was downloaded and printed to replenish the supply). A complete report will be provided next week.

Thanks to booth volunteers Mario Obejas (who coordinated the LOPSA presence), Micheal Crusoe, and Lynda True.

Rewarding Volunteers

Discussion about possible ways to reward members who volunteer in various capacities. Suggestions including

  • gift certificates/vouchers
  • (more) public recognition
  • "Volunteer of the Month"
  • exclusive (not for sale) logo'd merchandise

were presented.

ACTION ITEM: Haris, Parter, Wilson will produce a proposal for a volunteer recognition program.


New Business

Membership drive

Various ideas (tactical and otherwise) concerning membership drives were discussed.

ACTION ITEM: Harris will produce a proposal for membership drives for the Feb 27th meeting.

90-day project list

An update on all of the current "90 day projects" was requested.

  • Recommended Reading: Potter will take the primary role, and has updated the project description.
  • Book Reviews: Palmer will be the point person for these until the web editors get up to speed. Both the Book Review and the Recommended reading project are on hold until the web site structure for them is determined.

[ Albrecht leaves at 21:23 ET ]

  • Tools: Hughes anticipates work on this can begin this week
  • Quote of the Week: Barr is not present and this is low priority
  • Standards: Hughes will get this going this week
  • Topic Area Editors: in progress
  • Mail Forwarding: many volunteers, but no lead identified. Time to find one.
  • Jobs Board: in progress
  • Web redirect: a Drupal modual that does this may exist
  • Forum to Mailing List Gateway: in progress; Parter will disuss issues (access, etc) with various interested parties
  • Events: calendar is functional; time to put volunteers to work getting entries
  • Themes: 2 or 3 volunteers are busy with the style guide. Will probably take longer than expected
  • Local Resources: ongoing; Parter will followup
  • Membership: in progress
  • various Conference projects: in progress; need to get the volunteers involved
  • LOPSA Campus Network: Wilson will work with Parter to define the program
  • Local Group Speakers: can start with a flat list of people who are willing to speak
  • Resume Standards: Harris to prod the mailing list, which has gone dormant

ACTION ITEM: Harris to post description of the Resume Standards project

It was agreed that a regular all-projects update should be scheduled for the 2nd week of each month.

Notes/announcements

  • Splunk corporate sponsorship check received.
  • Potter will not attend the 20 February meeting. Wilson will be attending, but not online.

Adjournment

MOTION to Adjourn by Wilson, seconded by Hume. Passes Adjourned at 21:48 ET.