Board meeting Minutes/14 Dec 2015

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
23 Nov 2015
Board meeting Minutes Next:
11 Jan 2016



Minutes approved: 11 Jan 2016

  • NOTICE to those on the line: All present agree to a temporary recording of this call to be be deleted no later than when the minutes are approved. Please speak up if you disagree with this and we will discuss it after roll call.
Unspecified
Move your name to Present or Apologies prior to the meeting!
Present
(Subject to verification) John Boris, Ski Kacoroski (chair), William Bilancio, Paul English, Steve VanDevender,George Beech, Matt Disney, Thomas Uphill
Apologies
Atom Powers
Guests
Opened
9:08 PM Eastern Time
Closed
9:41 PM Eastern Time

Consent Agenda

Action Items

Board members are reminded to review RT for open tickets

Standing Reports

Treasurer's report (Disney, Kacoroski)

  • Balance info
    • BoA Account: $44,569.90
    • PayPal Account: $5,246.98
    • TDBank: $2,001.21
    • Total: $51,818.09
      • +/- from last report: -$4,055.51
      • LOPSA Balance: $45,899.70
      • CasITConf Balance: $5,918.39
  • Summary of expenditures since last report:
    • Budgeted operations
    • Website design and move to WildApricot (WildApricot fees and third Nicasio invoice, $1,800.75)
    • LISA expenses ($1,171.71) and related promotional materials ($1,750.98)
    • Awards ($200.00)
  • Summary of income since last report:
    • Membership dues (LISA)
  • Top priorities
    • BEFORE 2016: F2F meeting reimbursements
    • EIN for LOPSA East
    • Cascadia: accounts receivable
    • New budget framework
    • Scott Koch refund
    • Transition bank accounts
    • 2014 990
    • Assuming HootSuite charges
    • Finances committee charter

The CasITConf Balance is after the payment to the Hotel.

Membership report (VanDevender, Bilancio)

Total active members: 634

Paying: 461 (10 new in last 30 days)

Non-paying: 173 (13 new in last 30 days)

Paying members include Individual, Charter, Founding, and Lifetime memberships. Non-paying members include Student and Complimentary memberships.

Committee reports

Conferences/Events/Chapters activities report (Bilancio, Powers)

Cascadia has about 19 proposals and William spoke to Tom Limoncelli which helped.

LOPSA-East has met with Pager Duty and they are working out a sponsorship. Ski will be down at sCale. William will be sending stickers to Ski. William will check on business cards.

Education (Kacoroski, Boris)

Ski and John have to get together

Speakers Bureau (Powers, English)

Nothing to report

Marketing/Communications (LOPSAgram, #lopsa-live, etc) (English, Uphill)

  • LOPSAgram
** first one using WildApricot in December
** Systems seems relatively similar to Civi in capabilities, with the added bonus of well designed templates for better layout and basic graphics. 
** December LOPSAgram was one of the most basic templates. 
** Paul will take a swing at a template to incorporate the LOPSA logo and color for January and send it for review in the last week of December. We could (presumably) have a professional design an even better one.
  • Hootsuite
** Still needs work to get maximum value 
** accidentally paid $197.18 for 1 year on Paul's credit card. Will just expense it, but should still get LOPSA card into account instead
** Working on LinkedIn connection
  • Cumulo is interested in Cascadia and maybe more.

Technical Services Report (Beech, VanDevender)

Need to setup meetings (honestly probably after the holidays) to catch up with the team.

Mentorship Report (Boris, Beech)

I have not met with the core team members. I will try to setup a meeting again to get with the Core team members and the Automation team members to get back to a common starting point.

Recognition (Uphill, Disney)

Nothing to report

Leadership Committee (Warner, Kacoroski)

We've had a couple interested candidates reach out, so promising results from LISA.

Matt reported that he hasn't tested or worked out the new tech stuff with the elections but it sounds like he hasn't outright quit, so that's good.

Outside of that, there's no major pushes right now.

Happy holidays from the LC!

William asked who was up for re-election: John Boris, George Beech, Steve VanDevender and Matt Disney

Next Agenda item... (NAME)

New Business

LOPSA Recognition Program -- From SASAG (Uphill)

  • SASAG had a discussion about the LPR program and certification. The feeling was divided on having a recognition/Certification program. Lee spoke up at that meeting stating early on this was brought up and the effort fell flat and never materialized. There is a push from some of the members to have such a program but back then it was a big time sink and noone could come up with a good plan as to what you are certifying for.
  • Paul mentioned that it was mentioned to look into Mozilla Badges. That it was something we could affiliate ourselves to. A comment from SASAG is that the value of such a certification/recognition would not be of much value. It might have value for certain areas but in highly specific areas it would be hard for us to develop certifications.
  • Thomas and Ski mentioned Truability. William mentioned his work had used it but could never get a good response from it.
  • William brought up that before we go the certification route we have to get our Brand out there and Market ourselves.
  • Thomas mentioned that we could go through some of the certifications that are out there and recognize those certifications.
  • John stated the initial reason of the LPR was to recognize those sysadmins that were out there striving to keep up on their field and learning.
  • A consensus of the board felt that a list of certification list would be good like "These certifications are what are looking for."
  • John spoke on the Brand issue that we have to get our name out there in different media and not just once but multiple times and not just at conferences.
  • Thomas pointed out we should advertise on places like Serverfault and Redditt and r/sysadmin.
  • Thomas will take it as an action item to create a list of certifications and then crowd source the list to rank them.
  • A consensus was to look for some help on Marketing and look for some marketing assistance.
  • Thomas and Ski will get together and John will speak with the Marketing person at his work.

Next Meeting

Ski recommended our next meeting to be moved to January 11th. The Board agreed on the move.

Adjournment

 John Motioned for Adjournment
 William Seconded