Board meeting Minutes/20 Oct 2014

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
6 Oct 2014
Board meeting Minutes Next:
3 Nov 2014



Minutes approved: 1 Dec 2014



  • NOTICE to those on the line: All present agree to a temporary recording of this call to be be deleted no later than when the minutes are approved. Please speak up if you disagree with this and we will discuss it after roll call.
Unspecified
Move your name to Present or Apologies prior to the meeting!
Present
(Subject to verification) ? Dan Rich (chair), Ski Kacoroski, Matt Disney, John Boris, Steve VanDevender, Matt Simmons
Apologies
William Bilancio(I have a 6pm appointment so I might not be done in time)

George Beech : Out of town at yearly SE meetup

Guests
 ?
Opened
9:02 PM Eastern Time
Closed
9:28 PM Eastern Time

Consent Agenda

Action Items

Board members are reminded to review the Action items.

Standing Reports

Treasurer's report (Disney)

  • Balance info
    • BoA Account: $22,735.88
    • PayPal Account: $4,295.01
    • TDBank: $1,989.65
    • Total: $29,020.54
    • +/- from last meeting: -$2073.65
  • Summary of expenditures since last report:
    • Budgeted operational expenses
    • Legal retainer
  • Summary of income since last report:
    • Membership dues: $436.35
  • Outstanding liabilities
    • VanDevender (report submitted, William has this)
  • Top priorities
    • F2F reimbursement (VanDevender)
    • Budget update and annual financial report
    • Transition bank accounts
    • 2013 990
  • Misc:
    • Need VanDevender expense report from William
    • Legal retainer check has cleared
    • Any additional info about bogus lifetime membership? A discussion on this deposit ensued. The transaction looks valid.

Membership report (VanDevender)

  • See CiviCRM
  • Previous Month:
    • New: 10 (4 students)
    • Renew: 2 (0 students)
    • Lapsed: 22
  • Month to Date:
    • New: 10 (6 students)
    • Renew: 3 (0 students)
    • Lapsed: 12
  • Total: 835 (689 paying)

Conference/events activities report (Bilancio)

  • no report
  • Ski reported that sCale is looking for instructors.
  • Dan will contact William about SCALE.

Local Chapter Committee report (Bilancio)

No Report

Development report (Kacoroski)

Nothing new

Communications (LOPSAgram, #lopsa-live, etc) (Simmons/Kacoroski)

LOPSAgram sent on October 16th

  • 2,524 deliveries
  • 302 opens (12%)

Twitter

  • 1,264 followers
  • 5 tweets sent this month (including a RT of a renewal)

Facebook

  • 449 "Likes"
  • 3 posts this month (172 people reached)
  • Matt Simmons spoke on having each of the Directors supply a portion of the LOPSAGram pertinent to their projects/committees.
  • Ski asked about having LOPSA's involvement with LISA'14 be promoted in the LOPSAGram and Matt Simmons agreed.

Project Management report (Rich)

You can now create individual project pages, see the documentation at the top of the project category page. Create the page with the name of your project as the page name, then link that page to the title on the existing 2014/2015 projects page (see the sa-jobs page for an example).

Overdue projects (most with no information on the Projects_2014/2015 page):

  • Communication Committee to develop a definition of System Administration and present to the board for ratification
    • Owner: Communication Committee
    • Scope:
    • Timeframe: complete by mid-Sept
    • Milestones:
  • Communication Committee to develop web site content on “how to become a sysadmin” (tie to mentorship, et. al.)
    • Owner: Ski
    • Scope: Presentation that folks can give
    • Timeframe: Will draft done by Nov 1st
    • Milestones: 1st draft done this week for review by Board
  • Upgrade web site to Drupal 7
    • Owner: TSC
    • Scope:
    • Timeframe: ASAP
    • Milestones:
  • Consult with a lawyer to determine ambiguity around Local finances and liability
    • Owner: Locals Committee
    • Scope:
    • Timeframe: Aug-Oct
    • Milestones:
  • Work with board and Warner to decide role of LC
    • Owner: Ski
    • Scope:
    • Timeframe: Dec - jan
    • Milestones:
    • Notes: Hard time getting time with him now as he is busy with OLF
  • Committees need to provide initial specific goals and projects
    • Education
      • Timeframe: Nov - Dec
    • Development
      • Timeframe: Nov - Dec


Projects that need an owner (formerly Steve M.):

  • Expand community communications behavior policy with specific procedures, expectations, and enforcement to Improve the LOPSA on-line community to provide more acceptance and an environment of professionalism (IRC, mailing lists, etc)
  • Develop moderator schedule/procedure for moderation of communication resources

Liaison reports (LC, etc.)

Technical Services Report (Bilancio)

No Report

Mentorship Report (Boris)

Amy Rich has stepped away for a bit from the co-chair position.George Beech is looking into his schedule to take over the Liaison position.

LOPSA Professional Recognition (Simmons)

No Report

Leadership Committee (Kacoroski)

  • Nothing new

Lisa'14 (Kacoroski)

  • Yerkes award for Mark Marra - ordered and going to be shipped to Ski (WB)
  • Items needed from William (will send him email tonight)
  • LOPSA After Dark - will check at hotel when I get there for a location
  • Table all set up
  • Advertising (tweets, etc.)
  • Need help with LISA Labs.
    • USENIX is looking for LOPSA members to be in the Labs for certain times. They also are looking for How-To papers.
    • Ski mentioned about setting up some VMs and have the people find the problem and fix them.
    • Dan mentioned that did a "Treasure" hunt at SCALE and that would be a good thing where you had to solve the problems in a number of VMs under a time limit. This idea would be good for next year.

Next Agenda item... (NAME)

New Business

Ohio LINUX Fest OLF...

Ski sending package of LOPSA swag tomorrow to Warner. For us to have something there we would have to fund it or find a sponsor as OLF is mostly vendor sponsored.

Matt Simmons posed the question of finding somehow to have something there that is cost neutral. Ski agreed and reminded the board we did this at Southeast LINUX Fest and the vendor backed out at the last minute and we had to absorb the entire cost. But it is something we should follow up on. A short discussion followed on this idea.


Notes/announcements

Adjournment

John motioned for adjournment. Matt Simmons Seconded