Board meeting Minutes/25 Mar 2013

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
11 Mar 2013
Board meeting Minutes Next:
8 Apr 2013



Minutes approved: 6 May 2013


  • NOTICE to those on the line: All present agree to a temporary recording of this call to be be deleted no later than when the minutes are approved. Please speak up if you disagree with this and we will discuss it after roll call.
Present
(Subject to verification) Philip Kizer (chair), William Bilancio, Jesse Trucks, John Boris, Dan Rich, Matt Disney, Ski Kacoroski, Evan Pettrey, Martin Gehrke
Opened
8:02 PM Eastern Time
Closed
9:20 PM Eastern Time

Consent Agenda

  • The minutes of 11 Mar 2013 Approved with no desenting votes.

Action Items

Board members are reminded to review their open tickets.

Standing Reports

  • Treasurer's report
    Our Financial Status is well. We got a big kick by the Puppet Sponsorship.
  • Membership report
    • 775 members
    • 36 lapsed members this month, 78 this quarter
    • Cascadia attendees not updated yet, that's a good percentage of the lapsed members above
  • Technical services report
    The monitoring is working fine. We have a few weeks of data into Splunk Storm so we can start doing some analysis. we evaluated OPS Genie and the Tech Team sees that it is not as sophisticated as what we have now. Pager Duty is a better option which will give the team the needed features that our current system doesn't offer. We will review Pager Duty and may comeback with a motion for the board to approve the monthly cost for that service.
    We are in contact with a Drupal designer for our themes for Drupal 7.
  • Conference/events activities report
    • Cascadia
      Cascadia did very well two weeks ago with 144 attendees. We are going over the figures to finalize how much Cascadia owse LOPSA for the memberships. William will be in touch with Evan as soon as those figures are compiled.
    • LOPSA-EAST
      The Early bird pricing ends April 1st and will be extended another week. We currently have 53 registered. They will be starting another big media blitz. The price increase may be the cause of the slow sign ups. We have corporations asking for discounts to send 5 or more of their employees so that is a good sign. Puppet just signe on as a Bronze sponsor. Thanks to Ski for getting them in touch with us.
      LISA is coming up in November. Any ideas for LISA please update the Wiki page. Since it is on the East Coast we hope to have a good Board Presence at the Community Meeting.
      Start thinking about the Yerkes award so we can have that purchased ahead of time to save on the expediated work.
      Matt suggested that we look into Budgeting some money for the Community meeting this year at LISA.
  • Mentorship Status report
    Short meeting this week. Lois and John will be on Call. The program is going along very well. We are getting an average of 3 requests per week. The number of non paired Proteges is still hard to get as the data has not been consolidated. The Mentorship project is almost a full time job with the amount of overview needed. Jesse offered some help with the Google Docs automation. He has a volunteer to some work.
  • Communications (LOPSAgram, #lopsa-live, etc) (last meeting of the month only)
    LOPSAgram is coming up. Get your info into Ski as soon as possible. The social media is going well. If there are any others area needs covering get back to Ski.
  • LOPSA-Live
    The Doodle was filled out now the date can be set and a moderator can be selected.
  • Project Management
    • Diversity
      Philip will be publishing the Harrassment policy soon. He
    • Jobs board is in protype stage
    • Voulunteer Management is stalled but will pick up.
    • Martin has been busy and has a meeting this week with a local.
    • Advisory Board of Educators has been put aside but will hope to revisit it and maybe partner with other organizations.
  • Liaison reports (LC, etc.)
    Mario has been doing well with the committee and with the upcoming elections. The Team is doing a great job.

Change TSC Charter (trucks)

Jesse moved that the Technical Services Committee (TSC) charter be changed such that the sentence currently reading:

   "The LOPSA Board of Directors shall appoint a current Board Director to
   be the Technical Services Committee Chair (TSCC)."

would instead read:

   "The LOPSA Board of Directors shall appoint a current LOPSA member in
   good standing to be the Technical Services Committee Chair (TSCC).
   If the TSCC is not a current member of the LOPSA Board of Directors, a
   liaison shall be appointed to the TSC from among the current LOPSA Board of Directors."

in order to allow the LOPSA Board of Directors to delegate the TSCC position to non-Board members of LOPSA.

There was a discussion on the motion which revolved around if the Chair position has to be a board position. Issues revolved around access to certain data that was Board Level only and that might cause an issue but it wold have to be resolved. It was mentioned that the Board should be directing and delgate more. The consenus was that the Board still needs interaction to committees but does not have to do the work.

It was pointed out that this has been done before especially with Crossbow, Mentorship. A concern was raised about accountability issue and an access issue. But this concern was dealt with.

Seconded by: Matt A Roll Call Vote was taken William Yes Jesse Yes John Yes Dan No Matt Yes Ski yes Evan Yes Martin No Philip Yes Motion Passed with Seven For and two against

LOPSA-U at SELF... (Ski)

We need to decide if we are going to go forward with this. Details are:

  • June 7 - 9, Charlotte, NC
  • closest chapter is NC*SA about 2+ hours away, they may help a bit, but did not sound super excited about it
  • SELF did a survey of preferred classes and if people would pay. Results are that
    • 52% were interested in Matt's "Security Best Practices and Tools for Linux"
    • 47% in Puppet
    • 47% in DNS/DNSSEC
    • 47% in IPv6
    • 90% would pay (depends on class)
  • I talked with Garrett Honeycutt who has been teaching a puppet class there for the last 2 years and he said the conference has more tech types than home types. He also willing to teach the puppet class for us.
  • We have a vendor that will help defray up to $1000 of the costs.

Proposal is (assuming Matt is available and willing):

  • Matt/Garrett teach 1/2 day each of Puppet and Security
  • We could add on Shumon for DNS and IPv6 classes if he is willing for a second day
  • I would get 1 room over 2 days so none of the classes are back to back
  • Charge $50 per class for lopsa members, $75 if not a member. If we get 10/people/class we make money. Break even would be 5 people per class.

Matt Agreed to do it.

It was proposed to charge non members $75.

The SouthEast people will make it work.

The stipend for a trainer is $750 for one course. $500 travel, $250 cclass.

Matt and Ski will try to develop a second day of training.

New Business

WiAC Civi Pledge Page (jboris)

The Civi Pledge page is on the site and ready for testing so it can be published. Thanks to Ski for the wording in the beginning. I have a question on the amount. If a person wants to donate $100 in 2 installments and pay by check. They may get confused in the amount. That would be $50 per installment and that is the amount that goes in the amount field. I can't find a place to explain that in the page setup.

The consenus was to go live with the page to get started and get it publicized.

If this works out we can start other pages for other projects.

William will try to correct the link to make it easier to publish.

Executive Session (trucks)

  • Exec session for a discussion.

Adjournment

Matt moved for adjournment William Seconded