Board meeting Minutes/26 Sept 2011

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
12 Sept 2011
Board meeting Minutes Next:
10 Oct 2011



Minutes approved: 10 Oct 2011

Present
Philip Kizer (chair), Lois Bennett, William Bilancio,Ski Kacoroski, Matt Disney, Dan Rich, Jesse Trucks, Nadine Miller, Chris St. Pierre
Apologies
Opened
2102 Eastern Time
Closed
2229 Eastern Time

Consent Agenda

Action Items

See RT Board Queue

  • Lots of open tickets, everyone needs to be reviewing the queues regularly!
RT Ticket Status
User Open tickets by queue Totals
Board Customer S General Membership Mentorship Tech Team Website
Unassigned 5 5 1 2 3 3 19
drich 8 1 1 10
jessetruck 2 2
lois 12 1 13
mharlow 5 5
nickanders 5 5
pckizer 4 4
ski 8 8
stpierre 4 4
wbilancio 12 1 7 20
zodic 4 4
Totals 55 6 1 1 12 9 10 94
  • Email William if you need business cards or if you can pick them up at LISA.

Standing Reports

  • Treasurer's report
    • see Google doc Bank account
    • note PayPal transfer covers paypal income from Jul 25th to present.
    • Decided to make another payment on AH debt
  • Membership report
    • See CiviCRM
    • Membership up 3 since the last meeting
    • 55 lapsed members this quarter, 11 in Sep
    • Need to contact lapsed members to figure out why they are not renewing
    • Membership is stable, but not growing. Too many folks are not renewing.
Membership Summary (counts are new / renewed / total)
Members by Type Aug Sep (MTD) 2011 (YTD) Current #
Individual 52 / 14 / 66 10 / 2 / 12 276 / 44 / 320 567
Student 0 / 0 / 0 1 / 0 / 1 16 / 1 / 17 39
Honorary 0 / 0 / 0 0 / 0 / 0 0 / 0 / 0 0
Charter 0 / 11 / 11 0 / 0 / 0 1 / 19 / 20 139
Founding 0 / 0 / 0 0 / 0 / 0 0 / 1 / 1 12
Complimentary 0 / 0 / 0 0 / 0 / 0 1 / 0 / 1 1
Totals (all types) 52 / 25 / 77 11 / 2 / 13 294 / 65 / 359 753
  • Technical services report
    • In a lull. Just doing normal server maintenance. Everything is running well.
    • William got Drupal polling set up for the LOPSAgram quick polls
  • Conference/events activities report
    • Looking for SCALE trainers
    • PICC and Cascadia are have their call for papers out
  • Mentorship Status report
    • Picked up a new protegee that found us from link on LISA website, we are expanding
    • The are looking at more ways to promote it.
  • Local Chapters
    • Columbus, OH chapter is setting up their meeting times. Other locals are doing ok.
    • Matt Simmons is working on a local package for new local groups
  • Development report (Meeting focus at first meeting of the month)
    • Each board member needs to let Philip know of 3 companies that may be good sponsors for LOPSA
  • Upcoming LOPSAgram (last meeting of the month only) and #lopsa-live
    • Going on Saturday, please let Ski know what you want in it.


Global NetWatch Sponsorship Terms (Disney)

Discuss and vote on acceptance of Global NetWatch Sponsorship Terms as distributed to the Board, including the following elements:

  • All LOPSA members will receive a discounted rate of $10 per month for 1 URL of choice for an annual contract, termed the “initial offering” and will be prepaid by credit card ($120 per subscriber, paid to GNW / nonrefundable). “Initial offering” is non-commissionable to LOPSA.
  • LOPSA Association will receive a 20% commission on all services purchased by LOPSA members (excluding “Initial Offering”).
  • Other details and terms included in the distributed proposal.
    • Board decided to go ahead with this sponsorship/member benefit
    • They will provide an monitor service for the LOPSA web site.

LISA Presence Status (Disney)

  • Discount code obtained and in place on LOPSA website. Discount email sent to membership.
  • LOPSA discount listed on LISA discounts site.
  • Annual meeting and town hall BoF confirmed: Wed 9:30PM in Fairfax A (60 pers, A/V available). Long discussion about the room and the time.
  • Other BoF ideas? Filesystem BoF (Miller)? Thursday between reception and Google BoF?
  • Board discussed other ideas for events at LISA.
  • Discussed how to get non-Unix folks involved and to help promote LISA
  • Need to get list of members for LISA mailing - Dan and Matt will take care of this.

Change Secretary-Treasurer into Secretary and Treasurer positions (Trucks)

If the motion to make the ByLaw change passes, Trucks will post the proposed change for comment, per ByLaw Article 11.

I, Jesse Trucks, move that the Board of Directors amend the ByLaws for Article 7. Officers to split the Secretary-Treasurer position into two separate positions of Secretary and Treasurer. The wording for the new Article 7. Officers section of the ByLaws would be as follows:

Article 7. Officers

The Officers of the Association shall be: (a) the President, (b) the Vice-President, (c) the Secretary, and (d) the Treasurer.

President

The President shall preside, or arrange for other Directors to preside, at all general meetings and at all meetings of the Board of Directors.

The President shall have general supervision over the affairs of the Association subject to the control of the Board of Directors. The President shall perform such other duties as may from time to time be assigned to this office by the Board of Directors.

Vice-President

The Vice-President shall perform all the duties of the President in the President's absence or at the Board's request and in so acting shall have all the responsibilities of and be subject to all the restrictions upon the President.

The Vice-President shall perform such other duties as may from time to time be assigned to this office by the Board of Directors or by the President.

Secretary

The Secretary shall ensure that all records are maintained and that all member communications are conducted in accordance with the Rules of the Association.

The Secretary shall perform such other duties as may from time to time be assigned to this office by the Board of Directors or by the President.

Treasurer

The Treasurer shall ensure that all books and financial records are maintained and shall prepare an annual financial report for the Association. The Treasurer shall file all statements and reports required of the Association in a timely manner.

The Treasurer shall perform such other duties as may from time to time be assigned to this office by the Board of Directors or by the President.

  • Motion approved by the entire board.

Around the table: Projects (Kizer)

  • We have all committed to a variety of bigger projects for the year. We will do an around-the-table on which ones you are the champion of and hear the progress and/or what resources you need to move forward.
    • Chris: Has not bean able to do much on benefits, communications, volunteers.
    • Jesse: Tech Team revamp is done, started work on volunteer management. Working on process for getting volunteers. Please work with Jesse if you need volunteers.
    • Dan: Has not done anything with SIGs, but has started a review of benefits that other peer groups offer.
    • William: Working on a standard package with more benefits for locals. Working on improving our website design. Trying to access to other conferences to publicize LOPSA
    • Nadine: Content, communications, and volunteer recruitment. Contacted some friends about sponsorships and looking for folks who can Blog about LOPSA.
    • Ski: LOPSAgram is going out regularly, doing the minutes. Cascadia is coming along. Sponsorship documentation is out. Have not done much on the ethics quiz and membership yet.
    • Matt: Working on LISA liaison. Security online community is going slow. Wrapped up Global Netwatch sponsorship.
    • Lois: Focused mostly on keeping up the finances. Have not had time to work on her other items - Salary survey, Education.
    • Philip: Working on clarifying our debt. Starting work on the Salary survey. Still looking for ways to encourage diversity in LOPSA.

Adjournment

Motion to adjourn at 2229 by Jesse. Seconded by William