Board meeting Minutes/4 August 2008

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
7 July 2008
Board meeting Minutes Next:
15 September 2008



Minutes approved: 15 September 2008

Present
Trey Harris (chair), Philip Kizer, David Parter, Derek Balling, Bob Apthorpe, Stephen Potter, Deepa Solanki
Absent
Jesse Trucks, Chris Palmer
Apologies
Matthew Barr
Opened
20:15 Eastern Time
Closed
21:21 Eastern Time

Consent Agenda

  • Approve minutes of 7 July 2008
  • Record motion: MOTION: To authorize the expenditure of an additional $2500 (total $6000) to the firm of Novins, York & Pagano for work completed on the lawsuit brought by Usenix during transition of representation to Kasowitz, Benson, Torres & Friedman. Motion passed. Reported out of executive session on 10 July 2008.
  • Record motion: MOTION: To give Eric Stieglitz, Esq., read-only access to both the board and board-exec wikis. Motion by Trucks and second by Parter on 24 July 2008. Motion passed 24 July 2008.

Passed with no comment.

Action Items

Standing Reports

  • Executive Director's report
    • Transition of Courtney out of LOPSA
    • My vacation schedule (8/6 - 8/30) - Courtney and Sam to cover for Deepa. Sam to attend next meeting.
    • Sponsorship Drive - AH has identified a third-party fundraiser which can provide better terms and additional assistance; Deepa to forward details to Harris and Potter. In progress: Draft to Sam who will review and email to board as Deepa will be on vacation.
    • Basecamped all open action items.
  • Treasurer's report (second meeting of the month only)
  • Membership report
  • Technical services report - Travis has stepped down, Jesse currently serving double role, need to identify new chair to save deadlines
  • Conference/events activities report - Need to discuss LISA; OLFU planning underway
  • Development report (Meeting focus at first meeting of the month)
  • Upcoming MtM (last meeting of the month only) - we missed July

Missing budget items (spp)

There was an expenditure of around $4500 for the new permanent membership cards, which appears to have been agreed to in principal, but never officially motioned.

MOTION: To budget an additional $3550 to "Membership Expenses", divided $1600 to postage and $1950 to printing, for expenses related to the new printing and mailing of the new permanent membership cards.

Motion by Potter, second by Balling as written above. Passed without objection.

There was discussion about a program for "Speakers at LOPSA Locals Meetings" with a $3000 budget that was never actioned. Is this a program we plan to pursue this year?

Parter to take action item and return to Board in two weeks

Matching Gifts/Sponsorship Policy (spp)

MOTION: Add the following to the end of the Individual source (subsection 2) of the Sponsorship policy: "Corporate matching programs, unless specifically designated by the originating company as a corporate sponsorship and which are based upon an individual contribution, will be deemed to be provided by the individual and will not be counted as a corporate sponsorship."

Motion by Potter, second by Parter, as written above. Passed without objection

Solanki departs at 20:49

Legal update (executive session) (Harris)

Board enters executive session at 20:50 EDT.

Board exits executive session at 21:20 EDT.

Adjournment

MOTION by Balling, second Potter to adjourn at 21:21 EDT. Passes.