Board meeting Minutes/6 Oct 2014

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
22 Sep 2014
Board meeting Minutes Next:
20 Oct 2014



Minutes approved: 20 Oct 2014


  • NOTICE to those on the line: All present agree to a temporary recording of this call to be be deleted no later than when the minutes are approved. Please speak up if you disagree with this and we will discuss it after roll call.
Unspecified
Move your name to Present or Apologies prior to the meeting! ,
Present
(Subject to verification) ? Dan Rich (chair), William Bilancio, Ski Kacoroski, Steve VanDevender, Matt Simmons,John Boris, Matt Disney, George Beech
Apologies
 ?
Guests
 ?
Opened
9:02 PM Eastern Time
Closed
9:56 PM Eastern Time

Consent Agenda

  • Minutes of 22 Sep 2014 were approved
    • Request from Mentorship for them to review their portion of the meeting before publishing - Rich

Action Items

No items to report on but Board members are reminded to review Request Tracker for their open tickets. See RT Board Queue

Standing Reports

Treasurer's report (Disney)

  • Balance info
    • BoA Account: $25,245.88
    • PayPal Account: $3,181.16
    • TDBank: $1,989.65
    • Total: $31,094.19
    • +/- from last meeting: -$27.37
  • Summary of expenditures since last report:
    • Budgeted operational expenses
    • Rich F2F expenses
  • Summary of income since last report:
    • Membership dues: $581.15
  • Outstanding liabilities
    • VanDevender (report submitted, William has this)
    • Bilancio (report outstanding?)
    • Murawski (report outstanding?)
    • Simmons (report outstanding?)
  • Top priorities
    • F2F reimbursement (VanDevender)
    • Transition bank accounts
    • 2013 990
  • Misc:
    • Matt reported on an odd PayPal transaction which he is investigating to see if it is real or the Tech team doing a test.
    • Matt Simmons asked about the retainer invoice for the Lawyer. Matt Disney saw this and thought it had to have a motion to before it was paid. This was clarified the motion to pay the retainer was made at the Face to Face so Matt Disney will cut the check to pay the invoice.

Membership report (VanDevender)

  • See CiviCRM
  • Previous Month:
    • New: 10 (4 students)
    • Renew: 2 (0 students)
    • Lapsed: 22
  • Month to Date:
    • New: 4 (3 students)
    • Renew: 2 (0 students)
    • Lapsed: 4
  • Total: 834 (692 paying)

Conference/events activities report (Bilancio)

No Report

Local Chapter Committee report (Bilancio)

No Report

Development report (Kacoroski)

Pernix Data interested in a sponsorship. Working with them on the details.

Communications (LOPSAgram, #lopsa-live, etc) (Simmons/Kacoroski)

October LOPSAGram is almost finished and Matt Simmons was waiting for tonight's meeting to see if anything needed to be added. It will go out shortly after the meeting. He did not receive any new input for this edition. William Bilancio asked about a timing for input from the Locals. Matt Simmons stated he is striving to publish the LOPSAGram the latter part of the first week of the month so Locals should be sending in their information a Month ahead of time if their meetings are on the first week of the month.

Project Management report (Rich)

No report, no updates have been made to the project planning page. Projects 2014/2015 Dan will be touching base with ewveryone.

Liaison reports (LC, etc.)

Technical Services Report (Bilancio)

Chan is building up the dev site and is seeking help with CiviCRM. Matt Simmons did touch base with Chan just before the meeting. Chan stated the dev site is almost operational with Drupal 7 and the CiviCRM upgrade is stalled with a database upgrade. Matt Simmons will forward the email thread to William.

Mentorship Report (Boris)

I will try and make the meetings. No report as Steve Resigned

LOPSA Professional Recognition (Simmons)

No Report

Leadership Committee (Kacoroski)

Warner has started looking for possible candidates for board positions. I would like to have him attend a board meeting so he can hear directly from various board members about what works and what does not work on the elections and LC.

Expense Reports (Rich)

In order to prevent long-term financial liabilities, I would like to make the following motion:

MOTION: All expense reports must be submitted to the treasurer no later than 90 days following the expense or the event the expenses are related to, whichever is later. Any submitted after that date will only be paid at the discretion of the treasurer.

A discussion on the motion ensued with an explanation of what needs to be reported to the treasurer. Dan stated that even if you are ot seeking reimbursement you should notify the Treasurer so it does not get marked as a liability.

Dan read the motion, Seconded by John Boris, there was no further discussion. The motion passed without objection or abstentions.

Steve Murawski's Resignation... (Kacoroski)

What do we do next? Appoint someone? Do we :

  1. Announce that Steve has left and we need people to submit their name to the board.
  2. Seek out a replacement and then announce the replacement
  • William stated we should announce Steve's resignation and then we go out and seek a replacement to appoint to the unexpired term.
  • Matt Disney feels that we should announce it prior to LISA'14 and then make it a topic of discussion at Lisa'14.
  • The consensus of the board was to try and speak to Steve a bit before we formally announce the vacancy.
  • Matt Simmons brought an idea of a Board Member that is not a Sysadmin from another Non Profit (ex. Nina Borg Institute) where they would add some perspective to the board.

Ski will speak to Warner about the possible vacancy and tell him not to worry about the immediate vacancy and look for the future.

  • George Beech feels that we should be up front about what we are doing and why. He cited issues with the PASS board where similar steps caused rifts in the board.

Lisa'14 (Kacoroski)

Please go to the Board wiki page LISA_2014 so we can work through everything needed.

Yerkes Award Selection (Rich)

We're a month away from LISA, we need to select a winner for the Yerkes award so we can get the award ordered.

From Stack Exchange Sites
Name Contact SE profile
Edmund White. ewwhite@mac.com http://stackexchange.com/users/270504/ewwhite
Mark Marra markmarra@gmail.com http://stackexchange.com/users/47534/mdmarra

A discussion on these nominees ensued. Ski Motioned that the Yerkes Award be awarded to Mark Marra Seconded by William

The Motion passed without objections or abstentions. George Beech will reach out to Mark to see if he will accept the award.

Raffle, BoFs and Meeting

  • Ski is doing well with sponsors and gifts for the Raffle. One prize is worth $2,000
  • The Meeting room and times for the Town Hall Meeting and BoF is set.
  • LOPSA After Dark is still in need of a sponsor. Costs are on the LISA'14 page
    • If a sponsor can't be found we may cover this ourselves. Matt Disney says that it is feasible using the numbers in on the LISA page.
  • A discussion on how to take Credit Cards at the table. Matt Disney stated we still may have to use Square or PayPal this year
  • Ski asked about Black & White or Colored literature. Matt Simmons stated that he heard that the Black & White printouts were just as popular as the color but if Ski wanted to get both it would not be a bad thing to do.Ski will check what he has left from LAst Year.
  • Ski needs LOPSA-East literature a PDF would be just as good as paper as Ski can get it printed.
  • Ski will contact Atom Powers about Cascadia. Ski wants to push our conferences.
  • The Locals can send us information on their Chapter which we can hand out.
  • We will have a CA-Cert there
  • We need Ribbons.
  • Ski questioned a way for Non Members to check membership status. Dan will look for the link to it.
  • LISA-Labs is asking us for help with this. They are looking for people to be there to answer peoples questions. They are looking for How-Tos so when a person came into the lab they could be handed a worksheet. Sort of a Workbook.
  • Ski asked if Craig could post on social media about LOPSA being at LISA and sessions taught by LOPSA members.
  • Matt Disney mentioned that suggesting forums/IRC to people that come into the LISA-Labs attendees.
  • John mentioned an application where you pre-load the data for certain days the data you want to promote and then it will send it out to Social Media. Ski and Matt Simmons stated it was like Hootsuite
  • John also offered his PayPal and Square devices for the table.

Local and LOPSA Birthdays (William B)

In an effort to give back to the members and the Locals we put an amount of money toward a celebration of the Locals birth month meeting and in December to celebrate LOPSA's birthday. Some groups may be against it but it seems to be a good idea. The amount he was thinking of $50 per local. Which would be a $100 a year per local if they decide to take advantage of it. The consensus of the board was for this move. Matt Disney asked for a number of locals so he could run the numbers and see what impact this would have. William will get the number of Locals to Matt. John raised a question that once before we were going to send them some T Shirts for them to dole out as they choose. William did not recollect that. Matt Disney suggested that the reason for the reimbursement could be open ended and tell them here is money to either celebrate their beginning or help cover a speaker.

William and Matt Disney will come back to the board with numbers so the board can act on it.

New Business

No New Business

Notes/announcements

No Announcements

Adjournment

Matt Simmons motioned for Adjournment William Bilancio seconded