Board meeting Minutes/7 November 2005

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Comment

This website is not affiliated with SAGE or the USENIX Association. The use of the term "SAGE" below is historical, and refers either to the SAGE subgroup of USENIX, or to a precursor of the organization now called LOPSA.


Prior:
3 November 2005
Board meeting Minutes Next:
14 November 2005



Minutes approved: 14 November 2005


Present
Tom Perrine (chair), Andrew Hume, Stephen Potter, Chris Palmer, Doug Hughes, Pat Wilson, Trey Harris, David Parter, Sam Albrecht (note taker)
Apologies
None
Opened
8:06 EST pm
Closed
10:00 EST pm

Consent Agenda

  • Approve minutes of 31 October 2005 Motion to approve, none opposed. Motion passes.

Action Items

  • Harris:
    • Draft a procedure for the vacancy appointment and charge for the Leadership Committee
    • Contact Rose (chair of the Leadership Committee)- Done
    • Continue the resume project - Project continues to develop.


  • Hughes:
    • Finalize plans for LISA awards - Done
    • Work on technical aspects of systemadministrators.org website (with Parter and Potter) - Starting to add content. Everyone to send 5 things that they would like to see on the site.


  • Hume:
    • Motion the Board to approve the Nov 18th report once it's been finalized
    • Send the Nov 18th report to the Usenix Board
    • Continue to pursue parallel negotiations with Usenix Board members


  • Palmer:
    • Draft a Memo to Members including framing the Nov 18th report and our future plans - Hope to have a draft by tomorrow.
    • Lead efforts to find an acceptable new name for newSAGE - New name has been determined.


  • Parter:
    • Work on techincal aspects of systemadministrators.org website (with Hughes) - Will begin more work once direction is given and becomes clear.


  • Perrine:
    • Draft a business plan for newSAGE (with Wilson) - Has not started yet.


  • Potter:
    • Lead content/design efforts of website - See Hughes notes above.


  • Wilson:
    • Approach BayLISA about co-hosting the locals BoF - DONE
    • Finalize LISA section of Nov 18th report - DONE
    • Draft a business plan for newSAGE (with Perrine) - Not started yet.


  • Albrecht:
    • Continue work on merchant account procurement - No work yet. Will try and get done by next weeks meeting.

Restoration of redactions

  • Hume requested (on 12 September 2005) that we consider restoring the minutes redactions having to do with SAGECom at this time.
    • ACTION: Hume will review minutes and provide a complete list.

Membership policy

  • Finish discussion and approval of policy on Membership classes
    • Trey moved to accept the membership policy as amended and described on the wiki. Second by Hughes. None oppossed. Motion passes.


Approved text: Membership classes policy

The Association shall have the following classes of membership:

Class Voting Dues Renewal period Benefits Notes
Individual Member Yes $40/year until May 2006; $50/year after One year All benefits of STG Transitional Membership, plus such other benefits as defined by the Board Renewal notices for expiring STG Transitional Memberships shall offer this class of membership.
Charter Member Yes $50 N/A All benefits of Individual Membership, plus:
  • The lifetime right, for as long as membership is maintained in good standing, to refer to oneself as a "Charter Member"
  • A 3- or 4-digit member number (offered on an as-available basis)
  • Recognition by name as a Founding Member on the SAGE website (may be declined at member request)
  • Other such benefits as defined by the Board
Admission to this membership class shall be limited to those joining prior to 1 May 2006. Renewals of Founding Members shall be as Individual Members. STG Transitional Membership or Individual Membership dues shall not be applied, in whole or in part, to Founding Membership dues.
Founding Member Yes Same as Individual Member N/A All benefits of Founding Membership, plus:
  • The lifetime right, for as long as membership is maintained in good standing, to refer to oneself as a "Founding Member"
  • A 1- or 2-digit member number
  • Recognition by name as a Founder on the SAGE website (may be declined at member request)
  • Other such benefits as defined by the Board
Admission to this membership class shall be by invitation of the Board. Renewals of Founders shall be as Individual Members. STG Transitional Membership dues shall not be applied, in whole or in part, to Founder dues. Individual or Founding Member dues may be applied to Founder dues on an annualized pro-rata basis.
Student Member Yes $25/year One year All benefits of Individual Membership, plus such other benefits as defined by the Board Admission or renewal of this membership class shall require proof of full-time primary, secondary, or post-secondary student status.
Honorary Member No $0 N/A As defined by the Board Admission to this membership class shall be by invitation of the Board.
Trial Member No TBD One month As defined by the Board. Memberships in this class shall be automatically renewed unless cancelled or upgraded to another class of membership, as described in the policy on Trial memberships.

Voting status

Voting status as defined for each membership class above shall entitle a member of a voting class to:

  1. Vote in elections, referenda, and other such ballots as may be offered to the Membership;
  2. Stand for election for Association office, subject to the Rules; and
  3. Participate in petition actions as defined in the Rules.


Travel and reimbursement policy

  • Finish discussion and approval of travel and reimbursement policy from 17 Oct agenda
    • Tabled.

LISA '05

  • Sam to sign up for a Leading Volunteers BOF.
  • Board meeting will be on Sunday.
  • Discussion on who is going to run the SAGE Community Meeting.
  • Booth volunteer schedule to be developed. Sam will spend most of his time there.
  • Suite will be needed Tue - Fri.
  • Need to send note to local chair to preclude any concerns.
  • Discussion getting the booth listed as System Administrators Guild, Inc. - Hume to send email.

Web site

  • We need to decide on membership policies in order to put on the site.
  • Paypal will be set up as a temporary gateway for payment acceptance. Hughes to call Albrecht to get bank account info.

  • Discussed implications of using arrowthorpe

Report on AH meeting

  • Sam reported that after a meeting with senior management at AH, AH is still 100% behind this organization. We will work out a new agreement and will look at the contract for ways to cut expenses and/or share income as it is received.

Legal issues

  • General discussion on legal issues with with respect to USENIX.

Adjournment

  • Meeting was adjourned at 10:00 pm EST.