Board meeting Minutes/26 February 2007
19 February 2007
|Board meeting Minutes||Next:
12 March 2007
- Matthew Barr, Trey Harris, Chris Palmer, David Parter, Stephen Potter, Pat Wilson (chair, note taker), Sam Albrecht
- Tom Perrine
- 20:08 Eastern Time
- 20:43 Eastern Time
- 1 Consent Agenda
- 2 Action Items
- 3 Standing Reports
- 4 Sponsorship policy (spp)
- 5 Partnership Policies (spp)
- 6 Partnership and Partnership Committee
- 7 Purpose
- 8 Membership
- 9 Guidelines
- Approve minutes of 19 February 2007
- Development Committee (Wilson/Potter)
- Partnership and Liason Committee (Perrine)
- Palmer - Contact local office of possible partner - no progress still no response to email; Palmer will try to call
- Barr, Albrecht - Contact SCALE regarding future cooperation [due 2/26] - in progress
- Leadership Committee (Esther Filderman)
- Policy Committee (Harris)
- Communications Committee
- Perrine - Follow up with SysAdmin Magazine regarding volunteers for online answer folks - no report
- Membership Committee
- Albrecht - Work on different instances of member renewal letters DONE now Hughes action item
- Parter - Send a note to the prospects gathered at LISA - not done did Hughes pick this up? yes, done
- Hughes, Parter - Implement member opt-out of non-LOPSA mailings - no report may be in progress
- Conference Planning Committee (Wilson/Perrine)
- Technical (Online) Services (Hughes/Parter)
- Content Services Committee (Palmer/Potter)
- Palmer, Potter - Draft a plan regarding how a paid/compensated content director might help the website, and what sort of requirements we might make for that position - not done
- Locals Committee (Perrine)
- Hume - Provide at Dec 2006 Treasurer's report writeup for the Board and for the web site - no report
- Provide status on IRS 501.c.3 status [due 3/12]
- Query insurance company regarding possible member insurance options [due 2/12] - in progress
- talk to MIT spam people - in progress not really clear what the need/fit is, here - Barr and Albrecht will pursue
- php-list(?) mailer integration into Drupal - no action
- Present draft financial policies for Board approval (low priority) - no action
- Gather material for Halprin request [2/26] - no action
- Work with Frisch, Chalup, Halprin, Barr on resume resources skeleton/framework (should have status by mid February) [due 2/19] - no report
- Chat with SNIA regarding possible partnering - no report
- Reconvene Code of Ethics review committee - no report
- Perrine will work with Sam and Michele on "CONVERSION" of visitors to members - no report
- Draft a new charter for the combined Development/Partnership committee - DONE see below
- Determine whether there's enough interest to staff a booth at Linuxfest Northwest - not done
- Treasurer's report (first meeting of the month only)
- Membership report
- See the online report for this week's status
The trend is slowly but steadily upwards. Might have expected a little more bump from the Sysadmin Magazine ad, though it's possible that will only happer after a few more have gone out.
- Online report
- Sysadmin Days report
Still no word from the other event organizers; Albrecht and Parter will develop an alternate scenario plan.
- Development report
Corporate sponsors are beginning to renew (Silicon Mechanics has renewed at the Silver level!). Individual renewals are also occurring. Potential sponsor contacts should be sent to Biordi for development.
- Upcoming MtM (last meeting of the month only)
Target 3/1 for mailng, though will hold until opt-out news is publishable.
Sponsorship policy (spp)
MOTION: Potter moves that the Board accept the Sponsorship policy as written. Palmer seconds Passes.
Sponsorships provide LOPSA with a means to generate positive cash flow and help to defray costs that would otherwise need to be borne by the organization's members. The purpose of this policy is to
The LOPSA board may solicit and accept sponsorships as a means to finance organization efforts. Sponsorships may come from three possible sources and may be of several types.
The board may accept any of the following types of sponsorships, although primary preference should always be given to undesignated sponsorships.
LOPSA must always, first and foremost, protect its reputation, credibility, and future viability over short term financial needs. In this regard, LOPSA may decline to accept sponsorships from individuals or organizations deemed to have incompatible values or goals.
To protect the reputations of both LOPSA and potential or rejected sponsors, LOPSA shall make no public statement regarding any sponsorships not formally accepted by Board or approved designate action.
Benefits of sponsorship
LOPSA recognizes that most individuals and organizations use sponsorships as a means to achieve some benefit. The LOPSA Development Committee shall determine a standard list of benefits and recognition that will be followed for all sponsorships. The Development Committee may, at its discretion
Benefits and recognition for sponsorships shall be limited to that list only. Any additional benefit or recognition will be considered a sale of LOPSA service, not a sponsorship. The appropriate committee shall determine a schedule of fees for all such activities. At no time shall LOPSA enter into any sponsorship agreement that requires it to specifically endorse a sponsor's product or service.
Sponsors wishing to promote LOPSA and their sponsorship of LOPSA may use LOPSA's name, logo and online contact information in accordance with the provisions at LOPSA Sponsor Logos and Web Buttons. Any use not covered by these provisions, or any printed use, requires prior written approval from LOPSA. Any unauthorized use of LOPSA's name or logo will void the offending party's sponsorship benefits and may be considered grounds for legal action.
Terms of sponsorship
The effective date of a sponsorship shall be the date payment is received and processed by the LOPSA office unless otherwise specifically agreed upon by LOPSA and the sponsor. All sponsorships and benefits will run for one year from the effective date of sponsorship.
Renewal of sponsorship
At its discretion, LOPSA may contact each sponsor every 30 days commencing 60 days prior to the expiration of the sponsorship period to solicit renewal. The effective date of a renewal will be the expiration date of the prior sponsorship period.
At the recommendation of the Development Committee, a sponsorship may be granted a 30 day grace period before the sponsorship benefits and recognition are terminated.
Partnership Policies (spp)
This has been deferred to the March 5th meeting
The following items from the current Partnership Committee]] charge should be codified as policies.
- Partnerships must be approved by the Board
- All parties should sign a document that covers all expectations and/or deliverables
- Partnerships should be renewed annually
Partnership and Partnership Committee
MOTION: by Potter, seconded by Parter, to accept the Partnership and Development Committee charter as written. Passes
The Partnership and Development Committee is responsible for activities that will result in some form of continuing relationship with an external organization or person. These relationships may include sponsors, partners, or affiliates.
The Partnership and Development Committee chair will be chosen from the Board and may include any number of Board or general members as may be interested and appropriate. Members with prior fund-raising experience and/or good high-level relationships with appropriate sponsors should consider being involved.
To fulfill its purpose, the Committee shall:
MOTION to adjourn by Potter, seconded by Harris Passes. Adjourned at 20:43 ET