Board meeting Minutes/8 May 2018
24 April 2018
|Board meeting Minutes||Next:
22 May 2018
Minutes approved: 5 June 2018
- George Beech (President), Brian Globerman (Treasurer), Aleksey Tsalolikhin (Secretary), Steve VanDevender, Drew Adams, Scott Suehle
- Andy Cowell (VP), Danielle White
- Roger Luedecke, LOPSA Community Manager (for the first agenda item only)
- 21:03 Eastern Time
- 21:52 Eastern Time
- 1 LOPSA/LPI Partnership Proposal (Tsalolikhin, Roger Luedecke)
- 2 Consent Agenda
- 3 Standing Reports
- 4 Committee reports
- 4.1 Conferences/Events (Adams)
- 4.2 Marketing/Communications (Tsalolikhin)
- 4.3 Technical Services (White)
- 4.4 Education, Training and Mentorship (Cowell)
- 4.5 Recognition (Beech)
- 4.6 Leadership (Tsalolikhin)
- 4.7 Locals/Chapters (Tsalolikhin)
- 5 Adjournment
LOPSA/LPI Partnership Proposal (Tsalolikhin, Roger Luedecke)
Roger presented on the LOPSA/LPI partnership MoU (not a contract - but the first step towards one) and fielded questions from the board.
Aleksey moved to adopt the MOU. Drew seconded. Unanimous.
Roger will ask for input from membership re Certifications page in the next LOPSAGram.
- Approve minutes of 24 April 2018
24 April minutes approved unanimously.
Treasurer's report (Globerman, Beech, Suehle)
Bank balance on 5/6/2018: $31,489.78 -$369.03 over last reported balance on 4/22/2018
- Balance Sheet Comparison, 05/06/2018 and 05/06/2017 (pdf)
- Profit and Loss, current month, year ago, and YTD (pdf)
- Graph of monthly bank balances, 5/1/2017 - 5/1/2018 (png)
- Graph of monthly bank balances, 5/1/2017 - 5/1/2019 (projected) (png)
- IRS Form 990EZ for 2017, filed 5/8/2018 (pdf)
- IRS Form 990EZ Acceptance Letter, received 5/8/2018 (pdf)
1. Cascadia IT 2019: Previous venue (Deca Hotel) not an option. Looking into alternatives (Mountaineers Conference Center, Seattle Community College).
2. Budget (requested by Aleksey): will create for period 7/1/18 - 6/30/19 by 6/30/18.
Membership report (VanDevender)
- Total active members: 644 (previous report: 637, change: 7, pending renewal: 13)
- Paying: 308 (8 new in last 30 days)
- Non-paying: 336 (14 new in last 30 days)
Paying members include Individual, Charter, Founding, and Lifetime memberships. Non-paying members include Student and Complimentary memberships.
Wild Apricot has a rather cursory statement on GDPR compliance:
"Wild Apricot sites are compliant with the European Union’s Data Protection Directive. That’s because Wild Apricot sites are hosted on Amazon Web Services (AWS), which is certified under the Privacy Shield Network, a framework designed by the US Department of Commerce and the European Commission to allow the US companies to host European sites while complying with the EU’s data protection requirements."
Technical Services (White)
Education, Training and Mentorship (Cowell)
- Per Scott Murphy, leadership committee head, we won't be conducting a vote as we have more open board seats than candidates.
- George asked that we still conduct the LOPSA Lives to give LOPSA members a chance to get to know the board, ask questions, and to put their name in the hat for the board (election).
- Aleksey expanded the list of volunteer opportunities at https://lopsa.org/Volunteer
- LA - May meeting cancelled due to low registrations. Next meeting in June, Kirk Waingrow presenting on his tool KASM: "Operational Management Tools and IT KASM" https://www.meetup.com/lopsala/events/250133706
- Columbus - met on April 30th. "Mining Ethereum Transactions". Good attendance, good food. Thanks to our sponsor TEKsystems. Next event tentatively May 29. Working out final details with speaker.
- SASAG - met on April 12th for a SCALE recap by Brian Globerman.
- ETENN - met on May 1st for a presentation "Azure Automation: What is it and Why Do I Care?" by Benjamin Mitchell of Discovery, Inc. (21 attendees.) Next meeting will be June 5th, Jesse Trucks presenting.
- Ottawa - met on April 19th, for the first in a series of microservices builds. Next meetup on May 17th.
- San Diego - has been missing for the last 6 months per report from Chris McEniry - he reached out to their mailing list to get things going again.
- NJ - thanks to Roger's efforts on Facebook we have potential new co-organizers for NJ. Aleksey asked Joe Youn to add Kristófer Jóhann Ólafsson and Shahab Sheikhzadeh as co-organizers.
- Chicago - Aleksey is talking to Brian and Erich about them holding the initial meeting.
- Nigeria - two new members have expressed interest in forming a local LOPSA chapter in Nigeria.
Meetup.com sites for chapters
Aleksey moved to offer LOPSA chapters reimbursement for meetup.com ($15/mo), with promotion of LOPSA membership at every chapter meeting. Drew and Brian seconded. Unanimous.
George asked we take a look at Meetup Pro, which we'll do separately.
Steve Motioned for Adjournment Drew Seconded