Interim Board meeting Minutes/25 October 2004
18 October 2004
|Interim Board meeting Minutes||Next:
1 November 2004
Minutes approved: 1 November 2004
This document is a board working paper, and commercial in confidence.
- Geoff Halprin, Lorette Cheswick, David Parter, Trey Harris
- 2004-10-25 1900 US/East
- 1 Consent Agenda
- 2 Action Items
- 3 Unfinished Business
- 4 New Business
- Meeting minutes (2004-10-18) approval DEFERRED until next week.
- See action points for annotations.
- Need answers on membership xfer and 501c3/c6 decision.
- Can move forward immediately with this info.
- Using copy on Geoff's wiki. Lawyer will edit down.
- David: Our rules are generic. If it is easier to use a prepared set, then do so.
- Issues to decide:
- Member resolution/referendum.
- Board amendments of bylaws.
- Composition/election mechanisms.
- Size of quorum (membership).
- Does "committee vote by email" need bylaw?
- Next week's meeting: Decide these issues.
- Geoff: Coordinate USENIX office and Lawyer to talk on member xfer and 501c6 issues. (Action Point #20041025.01)
- Lorette: Get legal feedback before next week. (Action Point #20041025.02)
- Establish Nomcomm at LISA?
- Chair from advisory council.
- Past board member?
- Limit to 3-4 ppl.
- Couple from advisory committee. Couple from membership.
- All: Scout for/propose chair of nomcomm, committee. (Action Point #20041025.03)
- About a third of the way through the responses.
- Using these to refine evaluation criteria.
- Most (so far) are lowtech, some have good ideas.
- Will prepare a report on findings.
- Intent is to identify shortlist.
- Then meet with a few of them on way to/from LISA.
- Geoff: upload responses to private wiki when it is available. (Action Point #20041025.04)
- Need ability to maintain LISA momentum.
- Need plan for admin to come on as soon as Phase 2 gate achieved.
- (It is our intent to pass gate to phase 2 at LISA USENIX BOD meeting.)
- Need phone/email (front office).
- Need bookkeeping from day 1 of phase 2 (back office).
- Need roughcut budget.
- Geoff: assuming existing budget, we have plenty to cover admin.
- How do we find one?
- David volunteered to find one.
- David: Commence search for admin candidates. (Action Point #20041025.05)
- Geoff wants input on shortlist.
- No new reports.
- Kolstad has offered to do non-Yerkes award.
- Kolstad: come back to us within one week with one/more names. (Action Point #20041025.06)
- No (useful) feedback from advisory council on Yerkes award.
- Time is short.
- David volunteered to do this.
- David: come back with names within the week. (Action Point #20041025.07)
- SAGE Community Meeting: Thursday @ 8pm.
- SAGE Board Meeting: Monday AM (Geoff teaching PM).
- USENIX Board Meeting: Tuesday.
- USENIX Open Board Meeting: Wednesday @ 8pm.
- Geoff's suite is available for meetings all week.
(JD joined teleconference for this agenda item.)
- 5 Designs chosen. Quantities tbd (David/JD).
- Post-its approved. Need costs to determine qty (David/JD).
- David: Proceed with production of merchandise for LISA. (Action Point #20041025.08)
Memo to members
- MUST DO NOW!!
Domain Name Renewals
- Domain name lapses per email from John and Tony ok.
- Could JD have conf reg.
- No prob. (But shouldn't need it.)
- Meeting closed