Board meeting Minutes/13 March 2006

From GovernanceWiki
< Board meeting Minutes
Revision as of 18:01, 14 November 2006 by TreyBot (talk | contribs) (Uploading from board wiki)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
6 March 2006
Board meeting Minutes Next:
20 March 2006



Minutes approved: 27 March 2006

Present
Tom Perrine (chair), Trey Harris, Doug Hughes, Andrew Hume, Chris Palmer, Stephen Potter
Apologies
Sam Albrecht, Matthew Barr, David Parter, Pat Wilson
Opened
20:04 Eastern Time
Closed

Consent Agenda

Consent agenda approved.

Action Items

Board Committees

  • Development Committee (Wilson/Potter)
    • Wilson - Work on proposals for potential sponsors
  • Partnership and Liason Committee (Perrine)

Perrine to visit Bitpusher when he's in SF area next week

  • Leadership Committee (Greg Rose)
  • Communications Committee
    • Palmer, Harris - Touch base with Art Director Welch and inquire as to his availability to do the modifications (postcards) or new design (tri-fold). Done - plan is to do a short run of current postcards while considering new design going forward.

Harris, Albrecht, and Welch spoke and decided to make a shortrun of current postcard. Artwork provided to AH. That should last 2-3 months. A new tri/quadra fold will be designed. Note due date for new design late April.

  • Membership Committee
    • Albrecht: Verify the number of members who did not provide a mailing address - Done
      • Report - it seems that the international members were not updated in the database when their kits were sent. I don't have a good number since I'm traveling - but it's closer to 12 than 38.

Program Committees

  • Conference Planning Committee (Wilson/Perrine)
    • Parter - Write a note to the intl members asking whether they'd like to be ambassadors for LOPSA to SANE
    • Parter - Send mail to Zavras asking about possible LOPSA involvement with SANE - Done

Parter and Zavras continuing to consider LOPSA/SANE coordination

    • Perrine - Send a Parter-written note to the intl members asking whether they'd like to be ambassadors for LOPSA to SANE
  • Technical (Online) Services (Hughes/Parter)
    • Parter - Monthly transaction/product sales reports
    • Parter - Mailing lists/online forum
    • Parter - Sponsorships page from database
    • Hughes - Sponsorships in "userdb" interface
    • Hughes, Parter - Investigate the technical aspects of the drupal poll and survey modules - Done: using the survey module for the NJ "anonymous posting law" survey.
  • Content Services Committee (Palmer/Potter)

Non-Committee

  • Financial
    • Hume - Present draft financial policies for Board approval.
      • Hume to bundle raw process notes to Harris for policy.
    • Hume - Work with Albrecht to revise financial statement for Board approval
      • Report - Albrecht & Hume talked - financials have gone back to Finance for revision.

Harris has not received draft financial policies email. Will coordinate with Andrew

  • Albrecht:
    • It seems several membership kits were received damaged due to the pins. They should have all been wrapped in bubblewrap. Will investigate and provide a report next week.
  • Barr:
    • Ask legislative contacts for further details on the proposed NJ legislation

Perrine to contact Cat Okita about ISP fining in CA for more details

    • Contact the EFF

According to contacts the proposed bill can't go anywhere because some of the proposed things are illegal from a constitutional perspective in the state of NJ. If there are changes, we'll hear about it.

  • Harris:
    • Produce a proposal for membership drives - no progress
    • Post a description of the Resume Standards project
    • Migrate the board-only list from sage-members.org — Done (by Barr)
  • Hughes:
  • Hume:
    • Work with Usenix to pursuade them to sign a grant letter to the IRS by 30 March 2006 - not done
  • Palmer: (absent)
    • Write a letter to non-paid lopsa.org account holders encouraging them to join (with Harris).
  • Parter: (absent)
    • Revise the About Us page and begin the corporate history (with Palmer) - in progress, a skeleton is online at lopsa-01.lopsa.org, but the menus are not right yet
  • Perrine:
    • Explore partnership possibilities with Company J
    • Write an article about NJ Bill A327 for the web site - Done
  • Potter:
  • Wilson:
    • Produce a proposal for a volunteer recognition program (with Harris, Parter)
  • All:

Standing Reports

  • Treasurer's report (first meeting of the month only)
  • Membership report filed
  • Online report filed

2005 Financials

Perrine signed letters and sent to AH


New Business

Liaison policy


Liaisons to other organizations

Policy approved by the Board on 13 March 2006.

Purpose and scope

LOPSA may from time to time engage in partnerships with other organizations lasting a significant duration of time and encompassing many activities. In such cases, the Board may designate an individual to serve as liaison from LOPSA to the partner organization.

This policy shall be applicable to any case where the Board designates, by motion, an individual, whether volunteer or staff, to serve as "liaison" or to "liaise" with another entity. This policy shall not apply when there has been no explicit Board action to designate a liaison, or when the Board uses other terminology such as "represent", "approach", or "work with".

Duties

The duties of a liaison from LOPSA to another organization include:

  • Acting as a point of contact for LOPSA. This includes answering questions and offering advice on LOPSA matters. Any formal interactions and decisions must be made by the Board, unless explicitly delegated.
  • Acting as an observer within the other organization on behalf of LOPSA. This includes being familiar with activities within the organization and relevant to LOPSA, and looking for opportunities for collaboration between LOPSA and the other organization.
  • Reporting to the Board periodically (monthly is recommended) on the status of the liaison relationship.


Membership kits

We have received a number of complaints about the lapel pins not being properly protected during mailing. Albrecht is looking into shipping snafu. We'll redesign membership cards perhaps later in the year. Acknowlegement that we stumbled on this and spent some credibility.

SANE

At least one LOPSA member (Lee Damon) will be attending and speaking at SANE; there may be another member from the Netherlands who might be going. AH will coordinate shipping materials to the conference. There's been some discussion with SANE folks regarding potential incentives for LOPSA memebers

Notes/announcements

  • Albrecht will be absent. He's driving back from DC.

Adjournment