Board meeting Minutes/14 August 2018

From GovernanceWiki
< Board meeting Minutes
Revision as of 13:43, 19 October 2019 by Ajacobson (talk | contribs) (Populate page from internal wiki: Board_meeting_Minutes/14_August_2018)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
31 July 2018
Board meeting Minutes Next:
28 August 2018



Minutes approved: 18 December 2018

Present
Andy Cowell (President), Brian Globerman (Secretary), Danielle White, Drew Adams, Scott Suehle, Alekesy Tsalolikhin
Opened
9:04 p.m.
Closed
10:00 p.m.

Consent Agenda

Standing Reports

Treasurer's report (Globerman, Beech, Suehle)

Brian went over annual budget and balance sheet

Bank balance on 8/12/2018: $28,437.16 This represents $2,976.36 decline since last reported balance on 6/16/2018

Current:

Previous:

Budget for FY 2018 (07/01/2018 - 06/30/2019):

Budget has been cross-posted at https://board.lopsa.org/FY_2018_Budget_and_Financial_Statements

Requests and Proposals:

  • Requesting Board approval to switch to Wild Apricot's AffiniPay payment gateway (from PayPal): Wild Apricot Payments
    • Advantages: 1. Visa, Mastercard, Discover, Amex supported, 2. We gain complete control of this account, 3. Can give up one of our checking accounts, saving $180/yr
    • Disadvantages: 1. PayPal not supported, 2. Members having created recurring PayPal payments will have to recreate them using credit card details
  • Proposal to raise standard membership dues from $50 to $60/year

Aleksey will mention to Roger that we haven't had any donations this year; and encourage Roger to reach out. Roger can get help from Brian if he needs help getting the donors contact information from Wild Apricot. (Brian wants Roger to confirm if Roger can get this data.)

Brian proposed we switch from PayPal to AffiniPay

  • because we are locked out of our PayPal account, primarily
  • we may lose members that are set up to pay via Paypal
  • Scott will try to get an "in" at PayPal to help us regain access
  • Brian will check if we can have both PayPal AND AffiniPay (he thinks not)
  • Brian will check if we can go back to PayPal (i.e., *try* AffiniPay for a week)


Membership report (VanDevender)

  • Total active members: 641 (previous report: 636, change: 5, pending renewal: 15)
  • Paying: 301 (9 new in last 30 days)
  • Non-paying: 340 (11 new in last 30 days)

Paying members include Individual, Charter, Founding, and Lifetime memberships. Non-paying members include Student and Complimentary memberships. "Pending renewal" is a count of members whose memberships are due for renewal within 14 days.

Committee reports

Conferences/Events (Adams)

Conferences and events - Drew - Big Data LA booth went sideways.

 - Drew didn't have the booth box
 - we didn't coordinate with the volunteer
 - we had an empty booth (no stuff, no volunteer)
 - Drew will talk to Aleksey to try to understand where this went off the rails


Marketing/Communications (Tsalolikhin)

  • LOPSAGram is every month now
  • Roger published the O'Reilly deal in the last LOPSAGram

Technical Services (White)

AT will ask Roger to report on how is it going with the Mattermost instance, and do we want to make it long term, if so, the Tech Team needs to be brought in the loop

Education, Training and Mentorship (Cowell)

55 Total Users

  • Role breakdown:
    • 42 Protege
    • 13 Mentor
  • Registration status:
    • 20 have not completed their registration
    • 27 have completed their registration
    • 8 have completed their registration but are not approved (not members)

Currently paired:

  • 5 mentors
  • 6 mentees

Other notes:

  • participation is low (6 mentees) given the 4K/year outlay
  • Drew suggested we promote it more widely on social media
  • AT to ask Roger to add a splash banner for the mentorship program,

and to remove the splash banner for the SRECon that happened in June

  • Andy will write an appeal to members to promote the Mentorship Pgm
  • all board members will promote the Mentorship Pgm on social media

Recognition (Beech)

No report

Leadership (Tsalolikhin)

  • AT to make sure new incoming Board members sign NDAs
  • AT to post agenda for 28th meeting (old board; new board)

Locals/Chapters (Tsalolikhin)

  • AT to ask for a volunteer to help run the Locals program
  • Seattle area chapter has been having monthly meetings. 29th of July, about 12 people showed up for Sysadmin Day lunch
  • Columbus chapter had an event for Sysadmin Day too