Board meeting Minutes/20 February 2006

From GovernanceWiki
< Board meeting Minutes
Revision as of 17:50, 14 November 2006 by TreyBot (talk | contribs) (Uploading from board wiki)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

13 February 2006
Board meeting Minutes Next:
27 February 2006

Minutes approved: 27 February 2006

Tom Perrine (chair), Trey Harris, Doug Hughes, David Parter, Pat Wilson (note taker), Sam Albrecht
Matthew Barr, Stephen Potter, Andrew Hume
20:04 Eastern Time
20:50 Eastern Time

Consent Agenda

Consent agenda approved.

Action Items

Board Committees

  • Development Committee (Wilson/Potter)
    • Wilson - Work on proposals for potential sponsors - no action
  • Partnership and Liason Committee (Perrine)
    • Perrine- Write another note to the Advisory Council as soon as biz plan first draft complete - in progress
  • Leadership Committee (Greg Rose)
  • Policy Committee (Harris)
    • Harris, Hume, Wilson - draft a liaison charter and policy. - no action
  • Communications Committee
    • Palmer -- Fix the problems with the postcard and revisit information requested - no report
  • Membership Committee
    • Harris, Albrecht - membership kit
      • Report from Albrecht - Code of Ethics printed and in house. Certificate holders in house. Stationary and envelopes printed and in house. President's signature received and incorporated into letter. Database received and mail merge done. Membership cards not complete - but printer received final file on Thursday, so they should be here today or tomorrow. All we now have left to do is print the letters and setup/print the membership cards. Estimated mailing date is now Wednesday/Thursday.
        • Membership kit will include - welcome letter from President, membership card, membership lapel pin, color copy of the Code of Ethics with a "certificate holder".

Program Committees

  • Conference Planning Committee (Wilson/Perrine)
    • Barr, Perrine, Wilson - present several possible scenarios for LOPSA training events - in progress

Albrecht has presented a tentative budget to the committee, which will be sent to the whole board soon. Some concern about event timing was expressed and will be taken into account. The issue of contract (performance) liability was also raised and will be investigated.

  • Technical (Online) Services (Hughes/Parter)
  • Content Services Committee (Palmer/Potter)
    • Palmer, Potter - Contact other LISA '05 content contributors with hosting offer - no report


  • Financial
    • Hume - Present draft financial policies for Board approval.
    • Albrecht - sent out 2005 Financials on 2/20/05. Recommend approval and delivery to accountant to prepare tax return.

Approval deferred until next week, pending board review.

    • Albrecht - sent draft 2006 budget to Hume.
    • Albrecht - Jan 2006 finances should be done in a couple of days - will send to Board ASAP.
  • Albrecht:
    • Draft letter of agreement for LOPSA-AH 2006 work.
      • Report - sent out on 2/14. Moved to "New Business" on this agenda.
  • Barr:
  • Harris:
    • Move policy proposals from draft minutes of 13Feb2006 to appropriate policy pages - Done
    • Produce a proposal for membership drives (due 28Feb2006)
    • Post a description of the Resume Standards project - no action

Harris has posted all of the approved minutes to the public wiki

  • Hughes:
  • Hume:
  • Palmer:
  • Parter:
  • Perrine:
  • Potter:
  • Wilson:
    • Produce a proposal for a volunteer recognition program (with Harris, Parter) - in progress
  • All:
    • Flesh out charges/specifications for 90 day services listed on project plan - in progress

Most now seem to have some sort of description. The volunteer coordinator is on vacation.

Standing Reports

  • Membership report
    • not too many new members this week
    • perhaps 6-10 new members came in from SCALE
  • Online report

SCALE wrap up

Michael Crusoe sent a nice summary email which was passed on to the Board. Recommendations from that and from conversations with Mario Obejas have been placed on the wiki. AH will be the storage point for all LOPSA inventory (including t-shirts). There's still been no word from the Boston Linux Expo regarding a booth.

Revisit sponsor benefits

MOTION: by Wilson, seconded by Parter to remove the "free set of short topics booklets" from the list of sponsor benefits wherever it appears. Passed.

New Business

Management Agreement

  • Discuss and approve the Letter of Agreement for AH services

Defered to Board discussion on 27 Feb

Board mail list

Acknowledgement and discussion of member concerns regarding board@ mail list. Resolved to change description to "board and key staff" with instructions to send to an individual board member (preferably president) if there are issues that the staff shouldn't see; will need to change text in Memo to Members as well as the "contact us" web page.

ACTION ITEM: Harris to migrate the board-only list from


  • Albrecht - have doctor appointment at 6 - might be late for meeting.
  • Albrecht - will be traveling for 2/27 meeting - will not be able to call in.
  • Albrecht - LOPSA official font installed - staff striving to send out all documents in this font.
  • Albrecht - Staff recognized concern on email attachment file type. Staff striving to send out all documents as pdfs.

ACTION ITEM: Perrine will reply to Ross West email and seek further information about what he wants.


Motion to adjourn by Wilson, seconded by Hughes. Adjourned at 20:50.