Board meeting Minutes/31 July 2006
24 July 2006
|Board meeting Minutes||Next:
7 August 2006
Minutes approved: 7 August 2006
- Tom Perrine (chair), Matthew Barr, Trey Harris, Doug Hughes,David Parter, Stephen Potter, Pat Wilson (note taker), Sam Albrecht
- Chris Palmer
- 20:00 Eastern Time
- 20:56 Eastern Time
- 1 Consent Agenda
- 2 Action Items
- 3 Standing Reports
- 4 Member benefits (spp)
- 5 Ohio LinuxFest (spp)
- 6 Institutional membership
- 7 Column Name (Palmer)
- 8 Formal appreciation to sysadminday designers
- 9 Sysadmin of the week
- 10 New Business
- 11 Notes/announcements
- 12 Adjournment
- Approve minutes of 24 July 2006
Consent agenda passes.
- Development Committee (Wilson/Potter)
- Albrecht - Provide list of materials for development kit - no action now due 8/7
- Partnership and Liason Committee (Perrine)
- Palmer - Contact local office of possible partner - in progress waiting reply to email
- outreach project (sysadminday) - DONE site launched very late Wed night (7/26), had 40K hits Thursday morning, were expecting 500K+ hits on 7/25 - expect final numbers from Kekatos later this week - LOPSA.ORG saw "sysadminday" effect - received many new members as a result of this partnership. BitPusher was responsive to increased load.
[ Palmer joins at 20:07 ]
[ Palmer leaves at 20:08 ]
ACTION ITEM: Perrine to write a "lessons learned" recap document for internal use
- Leadership Committee (Greg Rose)
- Policy Committee (Harris)
- Communications Committee
- Parter - Contact the 500th member for comments for a "member profile" [due 7/24] - no action
- Membership Committee
- Draft a proposal for an Institutional Membership, which Executive Director will then be given discretion to use. — On agenda below.
- Conference Planning Committee (Wilson/Perrine)
- Technical (Online) Services (Hughes/Parter)
- Parter - Mailing lists/online forum - no action
- Content Services Committee (Palmer/Potter)
- Hume - Prepare statement about AH payment [due 6/26] - no report
- Hume - prepare annual financial report [due 6/26] - no report
- Touch base with IRS - no action
- Query insurance company regarding possible member insurance options [due 8/28]
- Restart Resume Standards project - in progress
- Present draft financial policies for Board approval (low priority) - no action
- Work with Usenix to pursuade them to sign a grant letter to the IRS - no report
- Chat with the SNIA Chief Scientist regarding possible partnering - no report
- Send notice of designated Annual Meeting to the Board - no report delegated to Albrecht
- Contact Leadership Committee regarding next (summer 2007) election [due 8/7]
- Help Perrine "wikify" the business plan.
- Treasurer's report (first meeting of the month only)
- Membership report
- See the online report for this week's status
- Sysadmin Day publicity generated ~20 new paid members
- Time to nag the non-converted website accounts (non-members). Three tiers of nag letters, as described in the Visitor to member conversion plan
- Online report
- Training event report
- see Planning Committee page
- no real action lately. Parter and Albrecht will touch base.
- Development report
Member benefits (spp)
Pearson user group membership completed, need to update members only section of website with code for ordering.
ACTION ITEM: Hughes to add Pearson info to discount page.
A member reports that, per company policy, AT&T employees can serve as customer complaint escalation conduits. Do other companies have similar policies?
ACTION ITEM: Hughes to set up email alias for member who volunteer problem escalation service
Ohio LinuxFest (spp)
OLF application accepted, need to have agreement signed by Tom or Sam.
ACTION ITEM: Albrecht to sign and return agreement
Potter to designate the appropriate volunteer reward level for key member volunteer Eicher. In addition, LOPSA will offer to host any event-related content.
Harris, on behalf of the Membership Committee, submits the following motion:
- MOTION: To amend the policy on Membership classes to add an Institutional Membership class, as follows:
Seconded by Hughes. Passes
Column Name (Palmer)
Amy Rich has offered to name her column for Sun's BigAdmin site to something involving LOPSA. Sense of the Board is that this is fine provided certain conditions are met; future request for the use of the LOSPA name will be approved on a case-by-case basis.
ACTION ITEM: Harris to send Palmer appropriate wording conveying sense of Board decision
ACTION ITEM: Palmer to convey Board's decision and negotiate with Rich
Formal appreciation to sysadminday designers
The Board will apply recognition policy to sysadminday volunteers and express the board's deepest gratitude for a job well done.
ACTION ITEM: Perrine, Albrecht, and Palmer will send letters to Sysadmin Day volunteers and their employers.
Sysadmin of the week
Will have a new editor from the volunteer ranks, to be announced in the next week or so.
- the events calendar has gotten sparse
- there should be a mailing list for events, which may need to be prodded.
- Jobs Board
- Hughes notes that employers aren't getting hits from the jobs board - let's reassess in 6 months or so and see if it's worth charging for
- Barr notes that geographic data isn't in the short synopsis of job postings.
MOTION to adjourn by Potter, seconded by Hughes. Passes. Adjourned at 20:56ET