Board meeting Minutes/13-14 Aug 2011

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
13 Aug 2011
Board meeting Minutes Next:
29 Aug 2011



Minutes approved: 29 Aug 2011


Present
Philip Kizer (chair), Matt Disney, Lois Bennett, William Bilancio, Ski Kacoroski, Chris St.Pierre, Dan Rich, Nadine Miller, Jesse Trucks.
Opened
Aug 13th, 1033 Eastern Time
Closed
Aug 14th, 1258 Eastern Time

Consent Agenda

Action Items

Standing Reports

  • Treasurer's report
  • Membership report
  • Technical services report
  • Conference/events activities report
  • Mentorship Status report
  • Development report (Meeting focus at first meeting of the month)
  • Upcoming LOPSAgram (last meeting of the month only)

Board Overview and Work Assignments

New members Nadine, Chris, and Matt are welcomed by Philip. Philip provided a brief history of LOPSA, the Board structure, the committees and the goverance and procedures of LOPSA. The Board is compose of 9 members elected by the membership from which the Board selects its officers - President, Vice-President, and Secretary-Treasurer. The Board voted and unanimously approved Philip for President, Dan for Vice-President, and Lois for Secretary-Treasurer. Committees (Board liaisons) are:

  • Development (Philip): Grow membership and grow LOPSA in the public view.
  • Leadership (Dan): Dan will work with the Leadership chair to get more volunteers and encourage new leaders from within LOPSA
  • Communications (Chris/Nadine): Press releases, etc. This is the focal point for hte public. Use social networks in addition to traditional media.
  • Membership (Ski): Work to retain members and get new members
  • Finance (Lois): Manage LOPSA finances

Discussed the Yerkes award that we present at LISA each year. Also discussed idea of more annual awards that we may give to members of our community. Decided to put on next meeting' agenda.

Aug 13th, 2011, 12:20pm Motion to adjourn for lunch by Philip seconded by Chris, passed

Aug 13th, 2011, 1:07pm Phil resumed meeting

  • Conference (William): Work with locals for LOPSA conferences and with other organzations for LOPSA presence at their conferences
  • Locals (William): Increase LOPSA local chapters
  • Technical Services (William/Jesse): Run the website backend
  • Content Services (Chris/Nadine): Website content
  • Mentor Program (Lois): Changed this to a permanent committee

Strengths/Weakness/Opportunities/Threats (SWOT) and Goals

Next the board ran through a SWOT exercise about LOPSA to help focus on what needs to be done to grow LOPSA.

Aug 13th, 2011, 2:22pm Dan moved to recess Nadine seconded

Aug 13th, 2011, 2:42pm Called back to order by Philip.

The rest of the afternoon was spent discussing ideas for goals for LOPSA for the next year.

Aug 13th, 2011, 4:36pm Dan moved we recess. Chris seconded.

Aug 14th, 2011 10:20am resuming session

Goals for next year

  • Focus on getting more locals (William)
  • Improve website design and content (William/Nadine)
  • Reach out to USENIX (Matt)
  • Setting up a viable online security community under that auspices of LOPSA (Matt/Jesse)
  • Support Mentorship as they grow (Lois)
  • Reach out to educational institutions (Lois/Philip/Matt)
  • Ethics Survey (Lois/Ski)
  • Improve technical support (Jesse/William)
  • Figure out better way to do projects (Jesse)
  • Improve volunteer recruitment and management (Jesse/Nadine)
  • Improve member benefits (Dan/Chris)
  • Look into forming Special Interest Groups - SIGs (Dan)
  • Improve communication to members and public (Chris/Nadine)
  • Improve LOPSAgram (Ski)
  • Work on getting more sponsors (Ski)
  • Jobs Board (Jesse/William)
  • Surveys (Philip - All)
  • Improve member recognition (Philip - All)
  • Get LOPSA's name out to public via writings, discussions, etc. (Nadine - All)

Aug 14th, 2011, 11:25am Recess Motion by Chris Dan seconded.

Aug 14th, 2011, 11:45am Philip resumed

Discussed when to hold board meetings. Decided on every other Monday at 9pm EST. Discussed procedures for how to call into a meeting and how to add items to the agenda. Decided that Chris and Nadine will own LOPSA Live chat sessions and do them on a quarterly basis.

New Business

  • Covered the relationship between PICC, which provides management support for locals that want to hold conferences, and LOPSA.
  • Lois will forward a letter from Mentorship to the board as they want to hold a raffle and contact sponsors for prizes.
  • Need to figure out a better way to retain members (on Ski's plate to contact non-renewing members)


Adjournment

Aug 14th, 12:58pm Dan motioned to adjourn Ski seconded