Board meeting Minutes/13 November 2006

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
8 November 2006
Board meeting Minutes Next:
20 November 2006



Minutes approved: 20 November 2006

Present
Tom Perrine (chair), Matthew Barr, Trey Harris, Doug Hughes, Andrew Hume, David Parter, Stephen Potter, Pat Wilson (note taker), Sam Albrecht
Apologies
Chris Palmer
Opened
20:03 Eastern Time
Closed
21:37 Eastern Time

Consent Agenda

Deferred until next meeting.

Action Items

Board Committees

  • Development Committee (Wilson/Potter)
  • Partnership and Liason Committee (Perrine)
    • Palmer - Contact local office of possible partner [due 10/16] - no report
  • Leadership Committee (Greg Rose)
    • Perrine - Contact Rose and convey Board's thoughts on the election - not done
  • Policy Committee (Harris)
  • Communications Committee
    • Palmer - Discuss possible member survey methodologies with Chavez - no report
    • Potter - Select current sponsor to use regarding possible ad mockup. - DONE - see below
    • Perrine - Follow up with SysAdmin Magazine regarding volunteers for online anwer folks - in progress staff changes necessitate reconnection
    • Barr - Get CMP contact info to Albrecht - in progress
  • Membership Committee
    • Hughes - Work on membership renewal system [due 11/8] - DONE
    • Albrecht - Work on renewal letter with testamonials - DONE

Program Committees

  • Conference Planning Committee (Wilson/Perrine)
  • Technical (Online) Services (Hughes/Parter)
  • Content Services Committee (Palmer/Potter)
    • Potter - Work on Jobs Board outsourcing evaluation - DONE - see below
    • Harris - Put approved minutes up on public wiki - not done
  • Locals Committee (Parter)
    • Albrecht - Work on a process for periodic contacts with chapters - DONE AH staff will deal with this

Non-Committee

  • Financial
    • Hume - prepare annual financial report [due 6/26] - in progress
  • Albrecht:
    • Touch base with IRS [due 10/16] - in progress still waiting on NJ
    • Query insurance company regarding possible member insurance options - in progress
  • Barr:
  • Harris:
    • Set up wiki for Resume Standards project - no report
    • Present draft financial policies for Board approval (low priority) - no report
    • Write FAQ regarding insurance question - DONE
  • Hughes:
  • Hume:
    • Chat with the SNIA Chief Scientist regarding possible partnering [due 10/30] - in progress
  • Palmer:
  • Parter:
  • Perrine:
    • Touch base with Hume - DONE
  • Potter:
  • Wilson:
  • All:
    • Consider locations for Q2 2007 Sysadmin Days

Standing Reports

  • Treasurer's report (first meeting of the month only)
  • Membership report
    • See the online report for this week's status
  • Online report
  • Training event report
    • see the web site
  • Development report

Review Board Committees

Some of the current Board committees (list at Committees policy) may not be what's needed, and it's possible that some that would be useful have not been formed.

ACTION ITEM: All to review board committees with respect to charters and usefulness

[Harris joins at 20:38 ET]

Recognize New Founding Members

It's LOPSA's first year of existence, we need to recognize those people who have materially contributed to making it possible. Potential new founding members will be reviewed by a committee of Barr, Hughes, and Parter, and recommendations made at the 11/20 meeting.

MOTION: by Harris seconded by Hughes, that Geoff Halprin be named a LOPSA Founding Member. passes.

ACTION ITEM: Harris to send Founding Member email to Halprin.

Job Board Proposal

After some discussion, the recommendation is to work with JobTarget to productize a managed job board as member benefit and revenue source. Some followup needs to be done to ensure that our member posting/searching requirements can be met before approval is officially granted. The Board thanks Chuck McIntyre for his work on the evaluation.

ACTION ITEM: Albrecht to get with his contact at JobTarget and get a specific proposal including the features LOPSA requires.

Advertising in Memo to Members

Recommendation of the focus group was that LOPSA should persue relevent advertising in the MtM with the goal of generating additional non-due, non-sponsor revenue. Ads should be limited to 10-12 lines, with no more than one per page. Ads should be set off from the main body by a recognizable border other than just a line.

MOTION: Potter, seconded by Hume, that LOPSA should persue relevent advertising in the MtM with the goal of generating additional non-due, non-sponsor revenue. Ads should be limited to 10-12 lines, with no more than one per page. Ads should be set off from the main body by a recognizable border other than just a line. Passes (7 in favor, 1 (Wilson) opposed, 1 not present)

LISA planning

The LISA planning committee has a booth and a suite. Stickers to give away, shirts from inventory to sell onsite, plans for a LOPSA birthday cake, and drawings are highlights.

New Business

Code of Ethics status

Questions arose over whether the Code of Ethics review committee had ever produced a report. Potter will investigate.

ACTION ITEM: Potter to search for the Code of Ethics review document/report

Adjournment

MOTION to adjourn by Hume, seconded by Wilson passes. Adjourned at 21:37 ET