Board meeting Minutes/15 August 2005

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Comment

This website is not affiliated with SAGE or the USENIX Association. The use of the term "SAGE" below is historical, and refers either to the SAGE subgroup of USENIX, or to a precursor of the organization now called LOPSA.


Prior:
8 August 2005
Board meeting Minutes Next:
22 August 2005



Minutes approved: 22 August 2005

Present
Tom Perrine(chair), Geoff Halprin, Trey Harris, Doug Hughes, Andrew Hume, Chris Palmer, David Parter, Steve Potter, Pat Wilson, Stacey Schmidt, Sam Albrecht (note taker)
Opened
8:04 PM EDT
Closed
9:33 PM EDT

Consent Agenda

  • Approve minutes of 8 August 2005
  • Interim Board minutes of 12 July 2005 were removed from the consent agenda.
  • Motion by Perrine to approve the consent agenda, seconded by Hume, none opposed, motion passes.

Approve Interim Board Minutes

  • Motion by Halprin to approve Interim Board minutes of 12 July 2005. Seconded by Harris, none opposed; Hughes, Palmer, Perrine, Potter, Wilson abstain; motion passes.
  • ACTION- Harris to write minutes from General Membership meeting on 7/18/05.

Status of Action Items

  • Perrine - contact Greg Rose to report change in number of members, ask for committee member names - Done
  • Hume - MOA to USENIX - Done
  • Hume - "sense of board email" regarding Transition Committee charter to be sent to Geoff -Done
  • ACTION- Hume to forward "sense of board email" regarding Transition Committee charter to entire board.
  • Parter - email to Ellie Re: approval for SAGE staff to work directly with USENIX staff on transition issues - Ellie's position is to wait until the agreement is signed.
  • ACTION- Parter to email Ellie next week after agreement completion.
  • Perrine - "thank you" emails sent to people on the Thank You List-Not yet complete, 3 of 6 are drafted and need board review.
  • ACTION- Perrine to finish 3 remaining draft emails and post on wiki for board review. Upon review, Perrine to send thank you emails.
  • Hume and Albrecht - interim status of reimbursement policy -Not yet complete
  • ACTION- Hume and Albrecht to work on reimbursement policy for next board call.
  • Harris - status of "policy process" AKA the "policy policy" Not yet complete
  • ACTION- Harris to complete draft of "policy policy."

Transition Committee

  • Discussion about transition committee charter.
  • Same place as last time. :-)
  • Motion by Harris to have all text under section 2 added (as posted on the wiki), seconded by Hume, none opposed, motion passes.

Budget Approval

  • Budget and chart of accounts are not yet ready to be discussed.
  • ACTION- Hume to work on budget and chart of accounts for discussions on the August 29th board call.

Update on IRS filing status

  • Geoff: see Government officialdom page
  • Still waiting on hard copies from Cheswick.
  • ACTION- Albrecht to call IRS this week to check on status, preferably after hard copies of documentation are received, and post results on mail list.

Update on AH contract status

  • Halprin has posted contract with legal comments on the board only wiki.
  • ACTION- Board to review and comment on contract.
  • ACTION-Halprin to take board and legal comments to Pawlucy (MacMillan) for discussion/negotiation.

Discussion of SAGECom meetings

  • USENIX wants to discuss options with SAGE booklets. USENIX made two suggestions for what they would like following the completion of the USENIX/SAGE agreement (and the termination of joint rights); 1) continue with the current publishing arrangement, and 2) offer booklets to USENIX members at a discount.
  • Membership growth will be measured by adding the number of USENIX/SAGE members to the SAGE only members and will be over the period of January 2, 2006 to January 2, 2007.
  • ACTION- Board to review document on wiki and add comments/suggestions.
  • ACTION- Hume to turn into a legal document following board review/approval next week.

Meeting with David Blank-Edelman

Discussion of the ideas & tone of meeting with David, and what we want to do of the types of options ahead of us to promote & work on LISA (Palmer)

  • Palmer reported that David is very supportive of the new SAGE and has lots of ideas/suggestions for them. David has offered to help and support SAGE.

Discussion of communications to members about status

— see discussion

  • ACTION- Hume to draft correspondence to members and send to Palmer for review.
  • ACTION- Palmer to review correspondence to members from Hume and bring to board for discussion at the next board meeting.

Value of Membership

(Discussion of Membership value proposition wiki page - needs to lead to brochure content, etc.

  • Membership value proposition is to be used as a basis for pulling content for various publications/materials such as the membership brochures.
  • ACTION- Board to continue work on wiki regarding membership value and to discuss next board call.
  • ACTION- Albrecht to review strategic planning session notes, specifically "you are a sysadmin if..." and post on the wiki soon.


New Business

  • ACTION- LISA committee to decide on which ideas they want to implement and then bring those ideas back to the board for approval.

Notes/Announcements

Adjournment

  • Motion by Hume to adjourn at 9:33 PM EDT, Seconded by Palmer. None opposed, motion passes.