Board meeting Minutes/15 August 2005
8 August 2005
|Board meeting Minutes||Next:
22 August 2005
Minutes approved: 22 August 2005
- Tom Perrine(chair), Geoff Halprin, Trey Harris, Doug Hughes, Andrew Hume, Chris Palmer, David Parter, Steve Potter, Pat Wilson, Stacey Schmidt, Sam Albrecht (note taker)
- 8:04 PM EDT
- 9:33 PM EDT
- 1 Consent Agenda
- 2 Approve Interim Board Minutes
- 3 Status of Action Items
- 4 Transition Committee
- 5 Budget Approval
- 6 Update on IRS filing status
- 7 Update on AH contract status
- 8 Discussion of SAGECom meetings
- 9 Meeting with David Blank-Edelman
- 10 Discussion of communications to members about status
- 11 Value of Membership
- 12 New Business
- 13 Notes/Announcements
- 14 Adjournment
- Approve minutes of 8 August 2005
- Interim Board minutes of 12 July 2005 were removed from the consent agenda.
- Motion by Perrine to approve the consent agenda, seconded by Hume, none opposed, motion passes.
Approve Interim Board Minutes
- Motion by Halprin to approve Interim Board minutes of 12 July 2005. Seconded by Harris, none opposed; Hughes, Palmer, Perrine, Potter, Wilson abstain; motion passes.
- ACTION- Harris to write minutes from General Membership meeting on 7/18/05.
Status of Action Items
- Perrine - contact Greg Rose to report change in number of members, ask for committee member names - Done
- Hume - MOA to USENIX - Done
- Hume - "sense of board email" regarding Transition Committee charter to be sent to Geoff -Done
- ACTION- Hume to forward "sense of board email" regarding Transition Committee charter to entire board.
- Parter - email to Ellie Re: approval for SAGE staff to work directly with USENIX staff on transition issues - Ellie's position is to wait until the agreement is signed.
- ACTION- Parter to email Ellie next week after agreement completion.
- Perrine - "thank you" emails sent to people on the Thank You List-Not yet complete, 3 of 6 are drafted and need board review.
- ACTION- Perrine to finish 3 remaining draft emails and post on wiki for board review. Upon review, Perrine to send thank you emails.
- Hume and Albrecht - interim status of reimbursement policy -Not yet complete
- ACTION- Hume and Albrecht to work on reimbursement policy for next board call.
- Harris - status of "policy process" AKA the "policy policy" Not yet complete
- ACTION- Harris to complete draft of "policy policy."
- Discussion about transition committee charter.
- Same place as last time. :-)
- Motion by Harris to have all text under section 2 added (as posted on the wiki), seconded by Hume, none opposed, motion passes.
- Budget and chart of accounts are not yet ready to be discussed.
- ACTION- Hume to work on budget and chart of accounts for discussions on the August 29th board call.
Update on IRS filing status
- Geoff: see Government officialdom page
- Still waiting on hard copies from Cheswick.
- ACTION- Albrecht to call IRS this week to check on status, preferably after hard copies of documentation are received, and post results on mail list.
Update on AH contract status
- Halprin has posted contract with legal comments on the board only wiki.
- ACTION- Board to review and comment on contract.
- ACTION-Halprin to take board and legal comments to Pawlucy (MacMillan) for discussion/negotiation.
Discussion of SAGECom meetings
- USENIX wants to discuss options with SAGE booklets. USENIX made two suggestions for what they would like following the completion of the USENIX/SAGE agreement (and the termination of joint rights); 1) continue with the current publishing arrangement, and 2) offer booklets to USENIX members at a discount.
- Membership growth will be measured by adding the number of USENIX/SAGE members to the SAGE only members and will be over the period of January 2, 2006 to January 2, 2007.
- ACTION- Board to review document on wiki and add comments/suggestions.
- ACTION- Hume to turn into a legal document following board review/approval next week.
Meeting with David Blank-Edelman
Discussion of the ideas & tone of meeting with David, and what we want to do of the types of options ahead of us to promote & work on LISA (Palmer)
- Palmer reported that David is very supportive of the new SAGE and has lots of ideas/suggestions for them. David has offered to help and support SAGE.
Discussion of communications to members about status
— see discussion
- ACTION- Hume to draft correspondence to members and send to Palmer for review.
- ACTION- Palmer to review correspondence to members from Hume and bring to board for discussion at the next board meeting.
Value of Membership
(Discussion of Membership value proposition wiki page - needs to lead to brochure content, etc.
- Membership value proposition is to be used as a basis for pulling content for various publications/materials such as the membership brochures.
- ACTION- Board to continue work on wiki regarding membership value and to discuss next board call.
- ACTION- Albrecht to review strategic planning session notes, specifically "you are a sysadmin if..." and post on the wiki soon.
- ACTION- LISA committee to decide on which ideas they want to implement and then bring those ideas back to the board for approval.
- Motion by Hume to adjourn at 9:33 PM EDT, Seconded by Palmer. None opposed, motion passes.