Board meeting Minutes/17 July 2006
10 July 2006
|Board meeting Minutes||Next:
24 July 2006
Minutes approved: 24 July 2006
- Tom Perrine (chair), Trey Harris, Doug Hughes, Chris Palmer, David Parter, Stephen Potter, Pat Wilson (note taker), Sam Albrecht
- Matthew Barr
- 20:04 Eastern Time
- 21:18 Eastern Time
- Approve minutes of 10 July 2006
Consent agenda approved.
- Development Committee (Wilson/Potter)
- Albrecht - Provide list of materials for development kit. in progress expected 7/21
- Partnership and Liason Committee (Perrine)
- outreach project - in progress
- Leadership Committee (Greg Rose)
- Policy Committee (Harris)
- Communications Committee
- Parter - Contact the 500th member for comments for a "member profile" - no progress
- Membership Committee
- Draft a proposal for an Institutional Membership, which Executive Director will then be given discretion to use. - no report
- Conference Planning Committee (Wilson/Perrine)
- Technical (Online) Services (Hughes/Parter)
- Parter - Mailing lists/online forum: Chris St. Pierre will help with this
- Content Services Committee (Palmer/Potter)
- Hume - Prepare statement about AH payment [due 6/26] - no report
- Hume - prepare annual financial report [due 6/26] - no report
Albrecht requests approval of a check to pay Director's insurance. MOTION by Palmer, seconded by Wilson, to approve Albrecht sending the check. Passes.
- Touch base with IRS. in progress
- Post a description of the Resume Standards project - no report
- Present draft financial policies for Board approval (low priority) - no report
- Work with Usenix to pursuade them to sign a grant letter to the IRS - no report
- Chat with the SNIA Chief Scientist regarding possible partnering - no report
- Nathan Hruby has volunteered to help with SOTW
- Nag Board regarding online "mission" brainstorming. - DONE
- Continue to edit the Mission Brainstorming page to build more consensus
- Treasurer's report (first meeting of the month only)
- Membership report
- See the report for this week's status
- Online report
- There was a minor problem with reverse DNS (causing the MtM to bounce for some); trouble ticket filed
- We should investigate the feasibility of hosting the "outreach project" website.
- Training event report
- see Planning Committee wiki page
- some progress, but waiting for a third party response. dates are firming up.
- Development report
- Albrecht will round up straggling sponsor
LISA 2006 isn't that far away. Time to check about booth space availability, whether there's anything LOPSA could collaborate on, the state of the sysadmin awards program, etc. It was agreed that the Board should have an in-person meeting at the venue.
ACTION ITEM: Wilson to contact Cat Allman regarding availability of .org booth space and possible collaboration opportunities.
ACTION ITEM: Wilson create a LISA 2006 wiki page
Partner updates (spp)
- Status requested on Palmer contacting local-to-him office of possible partner
no action thus far.
ACTION ITEM: Potter to nag Palmer on 7/19 regarding email to possible partner
ACTION ITEM: Palmer to contact local office of possible partner
- Logistical issues WRT to offered training discount
- how to verify LOPSA membership?
- either via mail to staff or web interface can be built
- what about payment?
- LOPSA should not be in the middle of payment transaction. A coupon/discount code can be generated via a web form if desired; Parter will take the technical lead here.
- no - the vendor's policy applies - LOPSA is just enabling a discount
- how to verify LOPSA membership?
[Harris joins at 20:45]
MOTION: Potter moves, Palmer seconds that $250 be approved for potential Ohio Linuxfest booth expenses (includes $75 cost of table) to be spent at Potter's discretion. Passes [Harris abstains]
see the commentary on the Board wiki page.
- Albrecht will get in touch with our insurer about the possibility/cost of various member insurance options
- Discussion over need to poll/survey membership on priorities, what people want, how are we doing? Look into Sun Recommend Sun Index (RSI) kinds of questions. See the 2006 member survey planning wiki page. Perhaps consider adding a focus group as well (or instead of polls)
[Parter leaves at 21:01]
- Bias for action, rather than endless discussion
Something may be coalescing in Arizona. Should recheck existing locals now that we have an explicit program.
MOTION to adjourn by Wilson, seconded by Potter. Passes. Adjourned at 21:18 ET