Board meeting Minutes/17 March 2008

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
3 March 2008
Board meeting Minutes Next:
31 March 2008



Minutes approved: 31 March 2008

Present
Trey Harris (chair), Bob Apthorpe, Derek Balling, Matthew Barr, Philip Kizer, Chris Palmer, David Parter, Stephen Potter, Jesse Trucks, Deepa Solanki
Opened
20:07 Eastern Time
Closed
21:58 Eastern Time

Consent Agenda

  • Approve minutes of 3 March 2008
  • Record email motion: MOTION: Redact the member name and monetary value from the Membership section of the New Business in the 2008/01/07 meeting minutes. Moved by Kizer on 4 March 2008, seconded by Balling on 4 March 2008. Passes on 4 March 2008.

Consent agenda passes.

Minutes discussion

Action Items

Standing Reports

  • Executive Director's report
    • Chapter policies - policies need to be revised and modified.
    • Sponsorship - Silicon postcard mailing sent. Mistakenly mailed to "opt outs". NB: First sponsorship mailing for ACNC was sent to the correct list.
    • Membership cards - resent to vendor for alignment
    • Membership brochures - in progress. Verbiage being reviewed
    • Propay/Credit card processing - under discussion
    • Founding member certificates - in progress. Waiting for certificate text
    • Job Target - in progress. Need to review contract.
    • Project management tool - reviewing Basecamp.com and Smartsheet.com
    • Stock Brokerage Application - in progress
  • Discussion on face to face meetings (see below). Consensus is that the majority of the board agree that a face to face meeting is essential.
    • Action Item: Deepa to research cost
  • Treasurer's report (second meeting of the month only)
  • Membership report
  • Technical services report
  • Conference/events activities report
  • Development report (Meeting focus at first meeting of the month)
  • Upcoming MtM (last meeting of the month only)

LOPSA Face-To-Face Board Meeting (dballing)

I think there is some value in having an annual face-to-face meeting of everyone. LISA seems like an appropriate time to do it, as we can reduce organizational costs since many of us will already be there on an employer's dime.

I'd like to propose discussion surrounding budgeting -- if not for 2008, certainly for 2009 and beyond -- to cover the travel expenses for "non-LISA-attending" board members to fly to where LISA is, and cover their hotel for a night or two so as to facilitate everyone being in the same place at the same time. The understanding would be that this is not a substitute for employer-funding of LISA expenses, and hotel and airfare would only be theoretically covered for the two days or so that would be necessary.

We could use the LOPSA Suite for the meeting, and simply bookend it onto the beginning (Saturday night?) or the end (Friday Night? Saturday morning?) when there are no other LISA activities planned. Alternatively, it could be scheduled for one night that we're not doing After Dark, and when there either are no BOFs, or are after BOFs are over (again, to avoid conflict, since we're asking people to use employer money first, those people should not miss things their employer theoretically paid for, or be forced to make a decision about which to do.

Education Committee mission/charter/charge (dparter)

Here is what the Education Committee ("crossbow") has come up with as a missing/charter/charge. Please comment, we'll bring it back for approval after updates:


One of the primary missions of LOPSA is the education of system administrators. The Education Committee exists to further this goal.

The Education Committee shall:

  • Take responsibility for improving and expanding LOPSA's involvement and visibility in the realm of system administration education.
  • Maintain, at the board's discretion, a broad plan for LOPSA to advance the state of education for system administrators and about system administration.
  • Manage LOPSA's educational efforts in all realms to include, but not limited to, professional training, partnering with conferences for presentations and a LOPSA presence, maintain a speakers and topics bureaus for LOPSA chapters and other outreach opportunities and partner with other organizations with regards to educational opportunities.
  • Acquire specific approval from the board for proposed strategic organization to organization partnerships.
  • Report to the board on activities and progress in the Education Committee's endeavors.
  • Manage time and/or project based budgets approved by the board for educational activities.
  • Build and develop local system administration communities through educational events and opportunities.
  • Take on other tasks as assigned by the board and as appropriate.
  • The Education Committee will submit to the LOPSA board a set of operating rules that will specify the committee's working budget and specific programs that the committee will work on through the year

Due to potential access to proprietary LOPSA information and/or administrative access to technical resources by Education Committee members, all members of the Education Committee shall have a signed copy of the LOPSA Non-Disclosure Agreement on file with LOPSA Staff prior to any granting of access to sensitive information or resources.


Board recesses at 20:43 for strategy discussion.

Return from recess at 21:57.

Adjournment

Parter moves to adjourn, Balling seconds.