Board meeting Minutes/23 January 2006

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
16 January 2006
Board meeting Minutes Next:
30 January 2006



Minutes approved: 30 January 2006

Redactions below were approved by the Board.

Present
Tom Perrine (chair), Matthew Barr, Trey Harris, Doug Hughes, Andrew Hume, Chris Palmer, David Parter, Stephen Potter, Pat Wilson (note taker), Sam Albrecht
Opened
20:04 Eastern Time
Closed
22:02 Eastern Time

Consent Agenda

Consent agenda approved. Potter holds minutes of 16 January for redaction.

Action Items

Board Committees

  • Development Committee (Wilson/Potter)
    • Potter, Wilson - Draft more rigorous sponsorship policy (including definitions) - in progress
      • First draft on wiki
    • Wilson - Work on a proposal for {Name redacted; business sensitivity} - no action
  • Partnership and Liason Committee (Perrine)
    • Perrine- Write another note to the Advisory Council as soon as biz plan first draft complete - on hold
  • Leadership Committee (Greg Rose)
  • Policy Committee (Harris)
  • Communications Committee
    • Palmer -- Fix the problem with the postcard - in progress. further modifications to the information collected on the form were requested
  • Membership Committee
    • Harris, Albrecht - membership kit - in progress. issues concerning proper reproduction of the Code of Ethics will be investigated
    • Harris - draft "welcome email" for new members - almost complete
    • Parter - send "welcome email" to new members - will send tonight
    • Hume - Contact the individuals who had expressed interest in a life membership and try to sell multi-year instead - still no response. action item will be dropped

Program Committees

  • Conference Planning Committee (Wilson/Perrine)
    • Barr, Perrine, Wilson - Review charter for Conference Committee and propose a structure to address issues related to participating in conferences and trade shows, including setting criteria for participating, goals. base budgets, etc. - Done
    • Finnalize the structure and decide about SCALE participation by 20 January - Done it was noted that there should be a press release concerning LOPSA's participation in the event
  • Technical (Online) Services (Hughes/Parter)
    • Albrecht, Hughes - extend member database (expected first look 8 Jan) - in progress; pending staff review
    • Parter - add verisign credit card processing - almost done some minor cleanup remains
    • Parter - make "staff@" alias for Solanki and Albrecht. Done
  • Content Services Committee (Palmer/Potter)
    • Palmer, Potter - Contact other LISA '05 content contributors with hosting offer - no action
Palmer and Potter will temporarily act as content editors until the committee framework can be finalized and volunteers recruited.

Non-Committee

  • Financial
    • Albrecht, Hume, Parter - Work on integrating databases and financial procedures - in progress; see above
  • Albrecht:
    • Give a plausible estimate of fully loaded member cost - no action
  • Barr:
  • Harris:
    • Find the Wiki page of 90-day services and relay the location to the rest of the Board - Found
    • Put an item on this agenda regarding how the Membership Committee would like to proceed regarding membership drives - no action
  • Hughes:
  • Hume:
    • Review minutes and provide a list of redactions pertaining to SAGECom that may now be restored - no action
    • Contact Usenix regarding how much of the $10000 allocated to the spinoff startup remains. - no reply from Usenix qualifying expenses should be sent to Hume for tracking purposes
  • Palmer:
  • Parter:
  • Perrine:
  • Potter:
    • Update the Code of Ethics Review committee charge - in progress; mail sent to committee
  • Wilson:
  • All:
    • Flesh out charges/specifications for 90 day services - in progress. projects should be defined by 30 January

Standing Reports

  • Treasurer's report
  • Membership report
    • 264 members with online accounts
    • 34 members without online accounts
    • 298 total (+10 from last week)
    • 14 pending payment

It was decided that a "how did you find out about us" question should be part of the requested information for new members.

ACTION ITEM: Hughes to add a "how did you find out about us" question to the new member process.

  • Online report
    • verisign credit card interface almost done
    • new "membership" product type almost done (automates membership bookkeeping)
    • 460 online accounts (some duplicates)
    • 324 on announce list
    • 346 on discuss list
    • 337 on tech list
    • 263 on profession list
    • other mailing lists:
      • 188 on config-mgmt
      • 105 on ethics-review
      • 37 on lopsa-regional-project
      • 11 on lopsa-us-az
      • 36 on resume-interest

There are still a fair number of people with accounts on the site who aren't members - it's probably time to contact them.

ACTION ITEM: Hughes to generate report regarding how recently non-paid folks have visited the site

USENIX Liason

USENIX has requested that we select a liaison to them.

MOTION by Hughes, seconded by Potter to appoint Hume to the USENIX Liason position. Passes

ACTION ITEM: Harris, Hume, Wilson to draft a liason charter and policy

Exec session

MOTION by Harris, seconded by Palmer to enter Executive Session, inviting the Executive Director to attend. Passes

[Executive session entered at 21:08]

[Executive session ends at 21:53]

NDA

MOTION (by Harris, Wilson seconds): Adopt the NDA per the policy on Nondisclosure agreements. Passes

Linux Expo Apr 3-6 - Boston

It was decided that the possibility of having a booth at the upcoming Boston Linux Expo should be pursued, assuming sufficient vounteers can be found to staff it.

ACTION ITEM: Palmer to canvass BBLISA for volunteers.


Notes/announcements

Wilson will be absent for the 30 January meeting.
Barr will be absent 13 and 20 February.

Adjournment

MOTION to adjorn by Wilson, seconded by Hume. Passes. Ajourned at 22:02 ET.