Board meeting Minutes/24 April 2006

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
19 April 2006
Board meeting Minutes Next:
1 May 2006



Minutes approved: 1 May 2006


Present
Tom Perrine (chair), Matthew Barr, Andrew Hume, Chris Palmer, David Parter, Stephen Potter, Sam Albrecht
Apologies
Pat Wilson, Trey Harris, Doug Hughes
Opened
20:04 Eastern Time
Closed
20:49 Eastern Time

Consent Agenda

Consent agenda approved.

Action Items

Board Committees

  • Development Committee (Wilson/Potter)
    • Potter - Work on proposals for potential sponsors: no progress.
  • Partnership and Liason Committee (Perrine)
    • Potter - Investigate potential discounts from targeted companies: We were accepted by O'Reilly, working on other publishing group.
  • Leadership Committee (Greg Rose)
  • Policy Committee (Harris)
  • Communications Committee
  • Membership Committee
    • Parter - Send the letter to non-paid lopsa.org account holders encouraging them to join. Awaiting list from Hughes, will send this week.

Program Committees

  • Conference Planning Committee (Wilson/Perrine)
    • Parter - Send the note to the intl members asking whether they'd like to be ambassadors for LOPSA to SANE
    • Everyone - review Pat's bulleted list of issues that arose in current training event planning cycle, on wiki
  • Technical (Online) Services (Hughes/Parter) No progress reported below; Hughes absent
    • Parter - Monthly transaction/product sales reports
    • Parter - Mailing lists/online forum
    • Parter - Sponsorships page from database
    • Hughes - Sponsorships in "userdb" interface
    • Hughes - a user management infrastructure for Sam
    • Hughes - Add field to member application asking about other organizations that the applicant belongs to
  • Content Services Committee (Palmer/Potter)
    • Parter, Palmer - Revise the About Us page and begin the corporate history Done ages ago
    • Barr, Potter - Find a volunteer to carry on the Book of the Month effort - Potter has books lined up for a few months, this takes low priority for now.

Non-Committee

  • Financial
  • Albrecht:
    • Work on a proposal for the local group support sturcture (with Parter) Preliminary material up -- will work to refine.
  • Barr:
  • Harris:
    • Post a description of the Resume Standards project No report: Harris absent.
    • Present draft financial policies for Board approval No report: Harris absent.
  • Hughes:
  • Hume:
    • Work with Usenix to pursuade them to sign a grant letter to the IRS No report -- low priority.
    • Make a proposal regarding financial planning items related to AH -- Discussion below
  • Palmer:
    • Kick off the membership drive on May 1st & manage the pre-work -- Progress good; will provide Parter with materials to launch May 1st at noon EDT; will not be able to do it myself (on a plane).'
  • Parter:
    • Work on a proposal for the local group support sturcture (with Albrecht)
  • Perrine:
  • Potter:
  • Wilson:
    • Produce a proposal for a volunteer recognition program (with Harris, Parter) -- Preliminary notes up -- everyone should review
  • All
    • Re-read business plan
    • Think about other orgs that our members may be interested in giving money to

Standing Reports

  • Membership report No report this week; nothing really changed
    • See wiki for this week's status
  • Online report Nothing to report: Hughes absent, things are working fine. etc

Report on Paying Association Headquarters

Hume discussed the goal of beginning payments to AH in return for their services now that LOPSA has achieved a degree of financial soundness. General concerns were to establish a preliminary schedule of payments we can sustain without hurting the major programs on the horizon, especially the conference. Hume will undertake to sharpen the details of this proposal, while Albrecht will research what kind of cushion will be required for the conference. Hume also suggests a followup conversation on a future call to review the financials of the business plan and commit more firmly to its goals.

ACTION: Albrecht to research funding up front required for training event. ACTION: Hume to work on a firm proposal for a schedule of payment.

LOPSA Live chat

Discussion about a LOPSA Live chat to happen mid-membership drive. Aim to talk to potential new members on the fence about joining. Scheduled for May 17th, Wednesday, from 4-6 EDT. Agreed by general consensus.

Need a copyright policy

Palmer brought up the need for a copyright policy that met both the needs of LOPSA and potential contributors. After discussion of the scope and shape of this policy, the Board generally agreed a copyright policy should leave copyright with the author, while granting LOPSA a period of exclusive use and perpetual publishing rights. LOPSA would not make contributed web content member-only.

ACTION ITEM: Palmer will undertake to draft a copyright policy putting the agreed shape into formal wording for passage by the Board.

Notes/announcements

Perrine notes that 1) conference planning should take more of our time and 2) programs and Board members are somewhat suffering due to weekly procedural meetings. He proposes that the Board meetings alternate biweekly for a period with conference planning telephone calls. General agreement was to conduct next May 1st meeting as a Board meeting and then alternate weeks with Board meetings and conference and program planning meetings. Approved by authority of the President for a trial period.

Adjournment

MOTION to adjourn by Barr, seconded by Hume. Passes. Adjourned at 20:49 EDT