Board meeting Minutes/4 December 2007

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
20 November 2007
Board meeting Minutes Next:
18 December 2007



Minutes approved: 18 December 2007

Present
Trey Harris (chair), Jesse Trucks, Derek Balling, Matthew Barr, Philip Kizer, Chris Palmer, David Parter (note taker), Sam Albrecht
Guests
Travis Campbell (Chair, Technical Services Committee), JD Welch (Art Director)
Apologies
Stephen Potter
Absent
Bob Apthorpe
Opened
7:12 Eastern Time
Closed
8:42 Eastern Time

Consent Agenda

Minutes

tabled until next meeting

Action Items

  • Albrecht:
    • Contact Hans regarding tracking of volunteers for program committees. Contact made. Need to report to Board. Estimated completed in one week.
    • (with Potter) to develop revenue/expense projections through EOY and provide report on impact of payment Completed. Payment done for additional management fee. Budget done for 2008. Payment for sponsorship work to be made this week after final coordination with Potter.
  • Harris:
    • Figure out state of committee policy, return with recommendation on policy and active/defunct committees
    • Add new/incoming board members to wiki

Standing Reports

  • Executive Director's report
    • Talked to IRS. As you may remember, they lost the last application and I sent them the file copy of what I had. What I didn't notice is that it wasn't signed by Lorette. The IRS guy was holding it - I guess he assumed that I could read his mind and/or the document would grow a signature. He finally answered the phone last week, I found out what the problem was, and immediately signed and faxed the document to him. He said he would "try to get it off his desk by the end of the day". I'll check in with him again next week.
    • Membership - we've got to move on membership cards. We've got 130+ kits to send out.
    • Sponsorship check from Dasher received.
  • Treasurer's report (second meeting of the month only)

Trucks, Palmer and Harris will send a letter to all expired members and all new contacts from LISA

  • Technical Services report (Travis Campbell)
    • Drupal upgrade: Hughes preparing procedure and documentation for transfering data to test server; next step: compare with stock drupal, identify LOPSA changes
    • Kernel upgrades waiting for bitpusher to provide console access (have it now, need to document it)
    • expiration notifications fixed (will add some kind of monitoring)

Harris to request mailing list that he wants created, email to tech-team@lopsa.org

  • Conference/events activities report (Barr): SCALE is comming up. Edu committee also involved.
    • Campbel requests advanced notice if any web site work is needed

Barr will contact Hans and Mario about getting a booth, etc

Barr will reconstitute the committee

  • Development report (Meeting focus at first meeting of the month)
    • Albrecht met with Michelle to plan next years activity
  • Upcoming MtM (last meeting of the month only)

IRC RFC report (Campbell)

  • Travis Campbell will report on the #lopsa IRC RFC, which went on the website 21 November.
    • No major objections to proposal to move to freenode
    • Issues of professionalism on the channel, no clear answer other than reminding people
    • Test channel has been in place for a few weeks, people are using/testing it
    • When the RFC closes, the tech-team will make a recommendation to the Board (expect to recommend "yes"), then tech-team will draft a migration plan

Discussion:

  • idea of multiple channels to address the professional/social chat issue (and other solutions)
  • Issues raised re: channel join message reminding people of privacy/logging issues (and perhaps reminder about ettiquette?)
  • Improve documentation for users

'Campbell will report to the Board after the RFC comment period closes 12/8

DNS proposal (Campbell)

  • Campbell will present a proposal for offering DNS to LOPSA Locals:
  • Proposal: standard DNS name space: $city.chapter.lopsa.org

Discussion:

  • note: to make sure that lopsa.org cookies are scoped appropriately now that we are adding to the domain

Motion: Approve the proposal ($city.chapter.lopsa.org) and request the technical services committee to draft a more comprehensive DNS namespace policy (Parter, Second: Barr) Approved

Campbell left at 8:05

Welch joined at 8:05

Apthorpe joined at 8:05

Proposal from Kosada on website redesign (Potter)

The person they talked to would have been moose, but contact should come from an official representative of the org.

Palmer to organize technical/design discussion with Kosada (and others?), tech-team, Welch

Membership cards

From Courtney Wright:

Also getting quotes from Laser Membership Cards

Discussion:

  • value of the card to us, to members. sense of "really" being a member
  • value of something visible (maybe something for the monitor top?)
  • laser-printed cards look like the way to go
  • value of member number: we promised founding, charter members low numbers, etc.

Albrecht, Trucks and Welch will finalize details of membership cards

Discussion: Policy for @lopsa.org email addresses

TABLED to next meeting

Adjournment

Motion to adjourn (Balling, Barr) 8:42