Board meeting Minutes/6 March 2006

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
27 February 2006
Board meeting Minutes Next:
13 March 2006



Minutes approved: 13 March 2006

Present
Tom Perrine (chair), Matthew Barr, Doug Hughes, Andrew Hume, David Parter, Pat Wilson (note taker), Sam Albrecht
Apologies
Trey Harris, Stephen Potter
Opened
20:04 Eastern Time
Closed
21:11 Eastern Time

Consent Agenda

Moved to agenda, below

Action Items

Board Committees

  • Development Committee (Wilson/Potter)
    • Wilson - Work on proposals for potential sponsors - no action
  • Partnership and Liason Committee (Perrine)
    • Perrine- Write another note to the Advisory Council as soon as biz plan first draft complete - biz plan still incomplete This action item will be removed pending completion of biz plan.
  • Leadership Committee (Greg Rose)
  • Policy Committee (Harris)
    • Harris, Hume, Wilson - draft a liaison charter and policy. - in progress
  • Communications Committee
  • Membership Committee
    • Harris, Albrecht - membership kit - Done
      • Update from Albrecht: The kits (welcome letter, certificate, sticker, pin, and membership card) have been completed (on Friday) and have gone to the mailroom (Monday) for compilation (envelope stuffing and labeling) and mailing. We hope to see them hit USPS within the next couple of days. There were about 10 members that did not provide addresses, and did not respond to Deepa's request for addresses. Therefore they won't be getting a kit.

Albrecht will verify the number of members who did not provide a mailing address.

Program Committees

  • Conference Planning Committee (Wilson/Perrine)
    • Barr, Perrine, Wilson - present several possible scenarios for LOPSA training events - Done
  • Technical (Online) Services (Hughes/Parter)
    • Parter - Monthly transaction/product sales reports - in progress
    • Parter - Mailing lists/online forum - in progress -- needs some css work to make it pretty
    • Parter - Sponsorships page from database - not started, need to load database
    • Hughes - Sponsorships in "userdb" interface
  • Content Services Committee (Palmer/Potter)

Non-Committee

  • Financial
    • Hume - Present draft financial policies for Board approval. - not done - Hume to bundle raw process notes to Harris.
    • Hume - Work with Albrecht to revise financial statement for Board approval - not done; call Hume Mar 7.
    • Albrecht - goal for financial reports will be about the 22nd of each month for the month prior.
  • Albrecht:
    • Sent out January staff activity report and hours report on 3/3/06
  • Barr:
    • Communicate the Board's decision regarding wifi partnering (with supporting reasons) to Albrecht - Done.
  • Harris:
    • Produce a proposal for membership drives - no report
    • Post a description of the Resume Standards project - no report
    • Migrate the board-only list from sage-members.org - no report
  • Hughes:
    • Create a list of non-paid online account holders - Done and emailed to parter/palmer
  • Hume:
    • Work with Usenix to pursuade them to sign a grant letter to the IRS by 30 March 2006 (from 30 Jan 2006 meeting) - in progress
      • Albrect provided updated draft letters on 3/2/06.

Hume has been in contact with Usenix Liason Couch and both are working through the issue. The question about a potential LOPSA presence at the Usenix Annual Technical Conference was raised, though no decision was reached by the Board.

  • Palmer:
    • Write a letter to non-paid lopsa.org account holders encouraging them to join (with Harris). - no report
    • Revise the About Us page and begin the corporate history (with Parter) - in progress Parter will take over this action item
  • Parter:
  • Perrine:
    • Explore partnership possibilities with Company J - in progress; call made, no response yet

Perrine went to the local UCSD Friday Beers sysadmin gathering last week and evangelized.

  • Potter:
  • Wilson:
    • Produce a proposal for a volunteer recognition program (with Harris, Parter) - in progress; should be ready by next week
  • All:
    • Review AH letter of agreement - Done

Standing Reports

  • Treasurer's report (at first meeting of the month)

We have exhausted the $10,000 of "startup" expenses from Usenix (on various reimbursements)

  • Membership report
3/6/06 2/27/06 2/20/06 2/13/06 1/9/06
members 343 338 335 333 272
payment pending 8 7 7 6 18
non-members w/online accounts 208 205 - - -

Membership, while steadily increasing, is not increasing at the rate necessary to meet the 2006 projections.

  • Online report

Given via action items, above.

2005 Financials

Deferred until the March 13 meeting

AH letter of Agreement

MOTION: by Hume, seconded by Hughes that The LOPSA Board direct Perrine to sign letter with AH. Passes.

It was agreed that Perrine should also write a letter to Pawlucy expressing LOPSA's thanks for AH's support and understanding, without which LOPSA would not now exist.

SANE

LOPSA is interested in supporting and possibly having a presence at SANE (May, Netherlands). It was agreed that LOPSA's Eurpoean members should be canvassed to find out if anyone's going and would be willing to be an ambassador. We should also directly contact the SANE organizers and find out about cooperation opportunities.

ACTION ITEM: Perrine will send a Parter-written note to the intl members asking whether they'd like to be ambassadors for LOPSA to SANE.

ACTION ITEM: Parter will send mail to Zavras asking about possible LOPSA involvement with SANE.

LOPSA handouts

The stock of LOPSA postcards has been virtually exhausted. The question of whether to print new postcards and/or tri-fold brochures was raised (the postcards have some minor typos and should be capturing more information; Palmer has suggested changes).

ACTION ITEM: Palmer and Harris to touch base with Art Director Welch and inquire as to his availability to do the modifications (postcards) or new design (tri-fold).

27 Feb 2006 minutes

MOTION: Hume moves to accept the 27 Feb 2006 minutes as amended. Wilson seconds. Passes.

New Business

Proposed NJ Bill A1327

Barr sent mail to the Board earlier in the week regarding proposed legislation in the state of New Jersey that would require the owners of web sites to maintain valid contact information for anyone allowed to post to the site. This would have a potential chilling effect on free speech on the Internet.

It was decided that this issue might be a good one to bring to the attention of our members and be the beginning of LOPSA's legislative review activities. It might also be a good time to make contact with organizations such as the EFF, and a chance to ask for member feedback via a poll/survey.

ACTION ITEM: Barr to ask his legislative contacts for further details on the proposed legislation.

ACTION ITEM: Barr to contact the EFF.

ACTION ITEM: Hughes, Parter to investigate the technical aspects of the drupal poll and survey modules.

ACTION ITEM: Perrine to write an article for the web site.

Notes/announcements

  • Staff Priorities on wiki
  • Wilson will not be at the 13 March meeting. Apologies.
  • Parter will not be at the 13 March meeting. Apologies.

Adjournment

MOTION: by Wilson, seconded by Hughes to adjourn. Passes. Adjourned at 21:11 ET