Board meeting Minutes/9 March 2010

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
23 February 2010
Board meeting Minutes Next:
16 March 2010


Minutes approved: 16 March 2010

Present
Trey Harris (chair), Derek Balling, Lois Bennett, Ski Kacoroski, Philip Kizer, Dan Rich, MaryBeth Kurland, Jesse Trucks (Joined Meeting at 9:00 PM ET)
Apologies
Travis Campbell
Absent
David Parter
Opened
8:43 pm Eastern Time
Closed
10:10 pm Eastern Time

Consent Agenda

  • A motion was made and seconded and the minutes from February 23, February 16 and February 9 were unanimously approved.
  • Record results of email vote: To spend $250 to become a bronze sponsor of LinuxFest Northwest (http://linuxfestnorthwest.org/ -- April 24 - 25) and $275 to ship booth materials from SCALE to Seattle then Seattle to AH. Moved 24 February 2010 by Kacoroski by email, second by Rich. Approved 28 February 2010.

Action Items

Standing Reports

  • Executive Director's report
    • The Executive Director gave a brief update on the ststus of the NJ PICC conference.
      • There were five people registered at the time of this meeting and about $13,000 in sponsorships had been secured.
      • All speaker contracts have been sent out.
    • The Eexcutive Director discussed next steps regarding the Strategic Planning Session held during last week's call.
      • The focus moving forward needs to be on the 2010 budget so that we can see how LOPSA can best implement the plan.
  • Treasurer's report (second meeting of the month only)
    • The treasurer noted the importance of looking at December 2009 numbers to get a clear and accurate picture of the finances while preparing the 2010 budget.
    • A motion was made and seconded and the December 2009 and January 2010 financials were unanimously approved.
  • Membership report
    • It was noted that LOPSA is currently losing about one member per week.
    • The group was asked to think about ways to re-energize the base
  • Technical services report
    • The group discussed the current security settings on the Wiki and the possibility of updating to a newer version of the software.
  • Conference/events activities report
    • Lois gave an update on the Crossbow meeting held earlier in the day.
      • The group discussed LinuxFest NW.
        • Ski is going to have a table at the meeting and will have some help from three local attendees to man the table.
          • Ski mentioned that they will need to bring in ten new members to make the event revenue neutral.
          • Ski also mentioned trying to offer classes at this event next year.
        • The group also heard a good report form the NJ Chapter on the success of the conference to date.
        • The group discussed how to look at events liek Scale and LISA as revenue neutral
  • Jesse joined the conference call at 9:00 PM ET
  • Development report (Meeting focus at first meeting of the month)
  • Upcoming MtM (last meeting of the month only)

2010 Budget Review (Kurland)

    • The group was asked to look at draft budget for ways to reduce expenses and increase revenue and create a balanced budget for 2010 while relating the budget to the strategic plan.
    • The Group discussed events and services and how to make them revenue neutral or revenue generators for 2010.
    • The board also discussed the proposed AH management contract and actual hours used by the group in 2009 and considered what services are necessary for 2010.
    • The board asked AH to look at other potential management structures that included only minimal services and other potential management options.
    • The board agreed that the following actions were most important when considering the 2010 budget:
      • Preserving back office functions
      • Supporting and promoting the success of the NJ PICC Conference
      • The long term viability and success of LOPSA
  • Action Items:
    • Kurland to setup meeting with Harris & Bennett to discuss with AH options for reducing management expenses with Sam Albrecht.
    • Bennett to re-work budget with board suggestions and a reduced management fee.
    • Board to reach out to friends and family to promote a positive message and ask for support.
    • Board to come prepared at next meeting to discuss ways to increase revenue through sponsorship and membership.
      • Think about what can be accomplished as a volunteer effort
      • Re-think operations
      • Work backwards and think about how we could function without management to determine how many staff hours are needed.

Notes & Announcements

  • Special meeting to be held next week, 16 March, at usual time

Adjournment

Motion to adjourned by Balling, seconded by Rich. Board adjourns at 22:10 EST.