LOPSA Policies/Code of Ethics review committee
Code of Ethics review committee
Policy approved by the Board on 19 September 2005.
The SAGE Code of Ethics was adopted in 2003. it is intended that the Code of Ethics should be broad enough to not need frequent revision, but strong enough to serve the Profession, individual Practitioners and system administration organizations.
To take into account any deficiencies found in the Code after adoption, and to adapt to changing circumstances, a two-year review was mandated at the time of adoption, with the expectation that future reviews every four years would be appropriate. It is not intended that this review entail a major rewriting of the Code of Ethics. If the review comittee feels that a major rewrite is necessary, it should provide an explanation in the submitted recomendations, but not undertake that task.
The Code of Ethics Review Comittee is charged with organizing the review of the SAGE Code of Ethics:
- Appropriate attention should be paid to publicity, both for the sake of an informed review involving our members, and as an opportunity for publicity and raising awareness in the broader sysadmin community and perhaps even further (managers, etc). Publicity should be coordinated with the SAGE Communications Committee.
- Discussion with the community should include a public event at LISA 2005 and online discussions, using SAGE online resources and others as deemed appropriate by the committee
- The Committee is not charged with redrafting the Code in its entirety. If the Committee believes this necessary, it should make a recommendation to the Board, but should not proceed.
- A report and recommendations (separate from the report) should be submitted to the Board no later than Feb 1, 2006:
- The report should document review activities, level of participation, and any other information about the review process as determined to be appropriate by the review committee
- The Recommendations should address:
- any proposed changes in the text of the Code of Ethics
- future review schedule (tenatively set for 4-year cycle after the initial 2-year review)
- any other recommendations from the review committee
- The budget for this activity is up to $100. If additional funds are needed, the Committee must seek approval from the Board in advance.