Board meeting Minutes/4 April 2017
21 March 2017
|Board meeting Minutes||Next:|
18 April 2017
Minutes approved: 18 April 2017
- NOTICE to those on the line: All present agree to a temporary recording of this call to be be deleted no later than when the minutes are approved. Please speak up if you disagree with this and we will discuss it after roll call.
- Move your name to Present or Apologies prior to the meeting!
- (Subject to verification) Ray Frush, Steve VanDevender, Paul English, Brian Globerman, George Beech (chair), Scott Suehle
- Ski Kacoroski, Atom Powers, Thomas Uphill
- 1 Consent Agenda
- 2 Standing Reports
- 3 Committee reports
- 3.1 Conferences/Events/Chapters activities report (Powers)
- 3.2 Marketing/Communications (LOPSAgram, #lopsa-live, etc) (English, Uphill)
- 3.3 Technical Services Report (Beech, VanDevender)
- 3.4 Mentorship Report (Beech)
- 3.5 Recognition (Uphill, Disney)
- 3.6 Leadership Committee (Warner, Kacoroski)
- 3.7 Locals/Chapters Committee (Suehle)
- 4 On Hold Committees
- 5 Policies
- 6 Next Agenda item... (NAME)
- 7 New Business
- 8 Notes/announcements
- 9 Adjournment
- Approve minutes of 21 March 2017 - APPROVED
Treasurer's report (Globerman)
- BoA Accounts: $33,988.09
- PayPal Account: $761.67
- Total: $34,749.76 +/- from last report (03/21/2017): -$27,771.86
CasitConf liabilities to date: $27,666.96 (previously anticipated ~$28,000.00
Agenda item: Loss of tax-exempt status in May 2016 occurred because IRS Form 990 was not accepted or filed for tax years 2013, 2014, 2015 (also no filing for 2016) I need to file Form 1023 to get our status reinstated. We have original one so I can get most information from it. According to the CPA I have been speaking with, it can take the IRS up to 60 days to acknowledge receipt of Form 1023, then another 60 days to make a determination. They may reinstate tax-exempt status retroactively, or determine that we were a C Corporation during the non-compliance period, in which case we would be responsible for back taxes.
We need to notify membership, because anyone claiming contribution to LOPSA after May 2016 might have IRS problem in the ~1% chance they get audited.
- Some members made contributions above/beyond $50 (or less, discounted) membership fee - they need to be specifically notified
- More general notification, including (maybe?) stopping taking donations for some months until our tax status is fixed
- Scott sent draft announcement
- George & Paul will work on getting announcement(s) out by Fri
Membership report (VanDevender)
- Total active members: 658 (previous report: 657, change: 1, pending: 19)
- Paying: 367 (36 new in last 30 days)
- Non-paying: 291 (11 new in last 30 days)
Paying members include Individual, Charter, Founding, and Lifetime memberships. Non-paying members include Student and Complimentary memberships.
- Ski: Working on Sony mass-membership add
Conferences/Events/Chapters activities report (Powers)
LinuxFest May 6,7
- Brian planning to go to staff booth
- Paul _hoping_ to go to staff booth - plans in flux
- Anyone else?
- SignupGenius for table went out in late March LOPSAgram, will go out in April LOPSAgram
LOPSA Cascadia 2018 (Kacoroski,Uphill,Globermann,English,Powers)
- Ray & SASAG member John looking into Marketing help
Marketing/Communications (LOPSAgram, #lopsa-live, etc) (English, Uphill)
- Please help provide content for the next LOPSAgram
- Please blog on your LOPSA Blog
- SASAG member John is looking into a marketing agency to potentially help with Cascadia next year
- Ray: is working on marketing intern(s) via Colorado State University.
- Paul side-note: we can use marketing help throughout the year, but particularly in the ~7 months preceding any conference
- Paul side-note: we can use market research help as well(!) - several relatively self-contained market research projects could be done by interns over say, a summer.
Technical Services Report (Beech, VanDevender)
Mentorship Report (Beech)
Recognition (Uphill, Disney)
Leadership Committee (Warner, Kacoroski)
- Ski will try to contact Warner about this before next meeting
Locals/Chapters Committee (Suehle)
- Moved most groups to google
- now have a locals alias(group)
On Hold Committees
- Ski is working on consolidating policies from many different documents into a single document
Next Agenda item... (NAME)
First new item...
Scott Suehle Motioned for Adjournment Brian Globerman Seconded