Board meeting Minutes/12 Oct 2015

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
28 Sep 2015
Board meeting Minutes Next:
24 Oct 2015



Minutes approved: 26 Oct 2015

  • NOTICE to those on the line: All present agree to a temporary recording of this call to be be deleted no later than when the minutes are approved. Please speak up if you disagree with this and we will discuss it after roll call.
Unspecified
Move your name to Present or Apologies prior to the meeting!
Present
(Subject to verification) ? Ski Kacoroski (chair), William Bilancio, John Boris, Steve VanDevender, Matt Disney. Paul English, George Beech, Thomas Uphill, Atom Powers, Paul English
Apologies
 ?
Guests
 ?
Opened
9:03 PM Eastern Time
Closed
9:43 PM Eastern Time

Consent Agenda

Action Items

Board members are reminded to review their open tickets.

Standing Reports

Treasurer's report (Disney, Kacoroski)

  • Balance info
    • BoA Account: $49,394.91
    • PayPal Account: $2,368.98
    • TDBank: $2,000.89
    • Total: $53,765.78
      • +/- from last report: -$1,785.67
      • LOPSA Balance: $47,850.48
      • CasITConf Balance: $5,918.39
  • Summary of expenditures since last report:
    • Budgeted operations
    • Website redesign
    • F2F Meeting Expenses
    • Zoom subscription
    • Square chip/contactless reader
  • Summary of income since last report:
    • Membership dues
    • Bronze ($1000) Sponsorship - Edgestream
  • Top priorities
    • F2F meeting reimbursements
    • Annual meeting financial reports
    • Cascadia: accounts receivable
    • New budget framework
    • Scott Koch refund
    • Transition bank accounts
    • 2014 990
    • Assuming HootSuite charges
    • Finances committee charter
  • Notes
    • 2013 990 has been submitted. Submission was validated but still awaiting confirmation of filing.
    • Paul asked Matt about Cascadia figures and Matt stated the figures do not reflect monies spent to reserve the Hotel. Matt will update the minutes with the correct figures.
    • William asked about the transitioning bank accounts. Matt explained that we want to get rid of the TD bank account or open a new TD bank. Also change the signatures on the TD bank account or open a new one.
    • Matt asked if there was a US Bank in the New Jersey area and William and George answered there were none.

Membership report (VanDevender, Bilancio)

  • See CiviCRM
  • Previous Month:
    • New: 10 (6 students)
    • Renew: 3 (0 students)
    • Lapsed: 15
  • Month to Date:
    • New: 3 (2 students)
    • Renew: 4 (1 students)
    • Lapsed: 9
  • Total: 625 (456 paying)

Committee reports

Conferences/Events/Chapters activities report (Bilancio, Powers)

  • LOPSA-East Call for Participation and Papers is almost ready to go out.
  • Ski asked about sCale and William stated he had to get back in touch with them.
  • Ski asked William for a LOPSA-East logo for LISA'15

Lisa'15 (Kacoroski, Uphill)

Making progress on the Raffle. We have a grand prize from OpenGear already ($800). Need to order swag this week. Sent list of proposed tweets to Paul. Yerkes award has been ordered along with business cards. So far Ski, George, Steve, and John will be at LISA. Ski asked if everyone would send the template that was created to your vendors to see about sponsorship or gifts for the raffles.


PayPal/Square Devices (Boris)

We need to verify what devices we will have to handle payments and sales at the Table. Ski will be bringing his Square Reader. Matt has ordered the new Square Reader. John will bring the PayPal reader and Square reader he has. Ski has found a Local in Washington who will bring the cake.

Education (Kacoroski, Boris)

Charter is done. Plan to have some pages ready for the new website (list of colleges, list of books for system admins).

Speakers Bureau (Powers, English)

Draft charter: https://board.lopsa.org/Speakers_Bureau_Committee

Marketing/Communications (LOPSAgram, #lopsa-live, etc) (English, Uphill)

Draft Charter: https://board.lopsa.org/Communications_Committee

HootSuite/Social:

  • Pre-LISA Tweets queued up
  • Need us to "move to Google" so that I can get comms@lopsa.org for administrative purposes. Why is this not approved yet?
    • George explained that the Google move is almost finished and will speak to Dan and Philip in a few days and will get back to Paul with status.
  • Fishing expedition (phishing even?) to retrieve credentials for other social accounts underway. Twitter is the only social network Paul has access for. William asked what other social networks does he need access and Paul stated that he would like to get to
      • LinkedIn Group
      • Facebook Group
      • Google+ Page
  • LISA stuff coordinated elsewhere. Note: Paul will not be at LISA, but can help prepare remotely

Technical Services Report (Beech, VanDevender)

Dan still moving forward with google migration. Will try and catch up with them next week.

Mentorship Report (Boris, Beech)

Link to the Mentorship Program Charter

  • Need to get in touch with the Mentorship Team and link back up with them.
  • Touch base with the Automation Team for status

Recognition (Uphill, Disney)

Ski and Thomas will link up offline.

Leadership Committee (Warner, Kacoroski)

Warner put a note in the LOPSAGram about the election.

Member-Only Services (apowers)

We want to encourage people to be members and many people won't become members unless they see value in what LOPSA does. It is difficult to show what we do when we only provide services to existing members.

I propose that most LOPSA services should not be member-only services. By encouraging everybody to use our services we get increased participation and with increased participation we get increased publicity and eventually increased membership.

I propose that any member-only services we have must have a good reason for being member-only, such as a desire to review who participates in those activities.

Possible Member-Only services:

  • Being a mentor.
  • Being a certified professional.
  • Managing a conference.
  • Managing a LOPSA branded local group.
  • Anybody representing LOPSA in any capacity.


Suggested Anybody services:

  • Requesting a mentor.
  • Being a speaker.
  • Being in a local group.
  • Being on the mailing list or chat room.
  • Anybody consuming LOPSA services.

A discussion on a requirement to managing a local or conference is that you had to be a member. This led to a discussion on services that require membership. A discussion followed on how to increase membership. The consensus of the discussion was the current funding model used by LOPSA needs to be reviewed while the services provided are reviewed. Matt gave an explanation of how the monies spent toward members for benefits get reported on the 990s.

Website... (Ski)

Website is on schedule for LISA. Theme is picked out and evaluation website is ready for you to play with and learn about membership, administration, etc. The consultant will be upgrading the eval site over the next two weeks to match our branding guide and start migrating over content. I need to get the civi data extracted this week for them to work with. This will be a draft extract and I will do a final one before we go live. I am working on a detailed go live process. We will need to make our first monthly payment in a few weeks. I have asked the tech team to look for sponsored hosting of our current servers as they will be needed for mailman, wikis, wordpress blogs, and to keep the civi database up for at least a year or more for reference.

There is a different price for contacts over 2,000 in the new web site. We have more than that in Civi. Ski is going to send an email to all contacts we have in Civi. This will raise the first month's charge for the new Website to $240. Then if people don't reply to the email saying they want to be members we will archive them off the system so they can be brought back if needed. Ski expects the the number of active contacts to drop below the 2,000 mark in the second month and thus reduce our bill.

Paul asked if we would still have the data in some other format once we make the move for us to use later on if we choose to do so. Ski confirmed that.


LOPSA Swag (Ski)

Ski asked Paul about the email he sent out about Swag. Paul stated it is worth it to spend some money toward these items. William reminded everyone that time is short before LISA so we have to decide quickly.

Atom asked about Sweaters, Button Down shirts etc instead of T Shirts. William and George stated that the cost is a bit prohibitive for hand outs. The going rate for the button down shirts is in the $35 range.

Ski and Paul will work out some ideas and get a mail thread started.

Adjournment

 Boris Motioned for Adjournment
 William Seconded