Board meeting Minutes/13 Aug 2012

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
30 July 2012
Board meeting Minutes Next:
25 Aug 2012



Minutes approved: 10 Sep 2012

Present
Philip Kizer (chair), Dan Rich, William Bilancio, Ski Kacoroski, Lois Bennett, Matt Disney, Jesse Trucks, Nadine Miller
Apologies
Chris St. Pierre
Opened
909pm Eastern Time
Closed
1012pm Eastern Time

Consent Agenda

Action Items

Standing Reports

  • Treasurer's report
    • Our bank account is pretty healthy.
    • Lois is working to transfer responsibilities to Matt
  • Membership report
    • Dan has reviewed all of the PICC 2012 new memberships and merged those that could be identified as duplicates. This only made a small difference in the total membership numbers as most of them were PICC 2011 attendees that had already expired. It did boost our renewal count a bit, although the overall renewal rate is still dismal. The import script will be reviewed when we import the next conference attendees to better detect existing memberships and avoid this in the future.
    • 864 members
    • 86 lapsed members in July, 248 YTD (nearly 1/4 of our membership has lapsed this year -- this is a *big* problem)
    • 243 new members, 38 renewals YTD (new member count down since the last mtg due to the PICC member fixes)
  • Technical services report
    • Server move waiting on domain TTL change, should happen soon
  • Conference/events activities report
    • PICC & Cascadia starting to get active for next year
    • Waiting to hear back from SCALE
    • Will talk about OLF and LISA at Face to Face meeting
  • Mentorship Status report
    • Two new mentorship committee members are active which is nice. Things are coming along well.
    • Need more help with publicity
  • Development report (Meeting focus at first meeting of the month)
    • Philip gave input to a magazine article that we linked to from our web site.
  • Upcoming LOPSAgram and #lopsa-live (last meeting of the month only)
    • Sent out request for content
  • Liaison reports (LC, etc.)
    • Tom Perrine is stepping down as LC Chair, we will need to discuss his replacement at the face-2-face meeting.


Executive Session (wbilancio)

Face-to-face planning (Dan)

As this is our final meeting before the face-to-face, we need to finalize the agenda and any discussion topics for the meeting.

  • Philip will work up a schedule and get it to us for review.
  • Discussed how the face to face meeting will be run.

USENIX Security Conference... (Ski)

  • Picked up one new member
  • Had 10 - 12 good discussions with folks including one I am going to follow up on from CT (may want to start a chapter with his friends)

Notes

  • Nadine offered to help out with a Google Adwords campaign starting now and continuing after she leaves the board. Ski has a $100 certificate that she can use. Discussed ongoing budgeting for this and Google analytics for our website.
  • Discussion on Linked-In LOPSA group and list of folks who want to join. Dan will be updating the templates and check into a vanity link so we can measure how many folks join after they get the deny mail for not being a member.

Adjournment

Lois motioned to adjourn at 1012 and Ski seconded.