Board meeting Minutes/17 Dec 2012

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
3 Dec 2012
Board meeting Minutes Next:
14 Jan 2013


Minutes approved: 14 Jan 2013

Present
Philip Kizer (chair), William Bilancio, John Boris, Ski Kacoroski, Evan Pettrey, Dan Rich, Jesse Trucks
Apologies
Matt Disney, Martin Gerhke
Opened
8:02 PM Eastern Time
Closed
8:55 PM Eastern Time

Consent Agenda

Action Items

The board is reminded to look at their open Tickets in the RT Queue and update them.

Standing Reports

  • Treasurer's report

The Square account needs updating to point to the correct account. The insurance papers have been submitted. We now have a Non Profit PayPal account and we will soon have that as a PayPal Pro account.

  • Membership report
    • 813 members
    • 74 lapsed members this month, 133 this quarter, 394 YTD
    • 38 membership payments during LISA, I don't have an easy way to report on new vs. renewal during that time
    • 78 membership payments during our LISA $40 price reduction

The LISA numbers are down from previous years. This may be a concern. CiviCRM does have a code extension and this will be tested on the Dev Server.

  • Technical services report

The Development Server is up and Drupal 7 install is started. There are some issues with Drupal 7 and the new server. We need to find a Drupal 7 Theme writer. They must follow the branding guide and be artistic. As soon as Drupal 7 is running on the Development server work on the Forums will commence. The branding Guide is being used on the LOPSA-EAST site.

We do have a monitoring server up and running compliments of programmer.com (Luke). The team has been doing some performance tuning. We had no downtime during LISA. The production logs are being pushed to the monitoring server.

There aren't any process to sync the development server and the working servers. But one is needed in case of failure of the main server so we can flip over. The Tech Team will look into this just for the Web Site.

  • Conference/events activities report

SCALE The Wireshark trainer is holding up everything for SCALE.

LOPSA-EAST has closed their CFP and they are going over all the submissions. Tutorials will be taken as late as possible.

Cascadia's CFP is still open.


  • Mentorship Status report

There was no meeting due to LISA. It looked like the LISA presentation went well. The automation seems to be working fine. We had three new proteges this week. The Mentorship Team page needs tweaking and this will be done by William.

  • Development report (Meeting focus at first meeting of the month)

Deferred to LISA report.

  • Communications (LOPSAgram, #lopsa-live, etc) (last meeting of the month only)

Ski has found a low cost way to provide video on Ligthstream.org. It costs approximately $600/year for unlimited usage. More info next meeting.


  • Project Management report

Phone call interviews will be used to get a handle on the Projects.

  • Liaison reports (LC, etc.)

The LC has started building the Leadership Committee. He did make a call at LISA for Committee volunteers and people that want to run for the board. Dave and Dan have been in discussion.

Secretary Officer Position (Trucks)

Jesse will be resigning his position as Secretary and will stop doing it as soon as we find a replacement. John Boris has accepted the nomination for the position as Secretary.

Approved unanimously unopposed.

LISA'12 Debrief (Kizer)

  • Our table was not in a good spot. Ski had a great plan and has improvements for future conferences.
  • The annual meeting went very well. The presentation went very smoothly. Our work at LISA may help us get more sponsorship.
  • We had a very informative meeting with USENIX and they want to expand our interaction. One point that we could get a table at any time at any USENIX conference. There is a Steering committee that we will be a part of.
  • USENIX wants us to get our forums on line to get a better relationship with USENIX. We will try to get a better relationship with opschool.
  • The educators asked that since they are restricted with most things they have more leeway with videos. They would like to see more sysadmin videos they can use.
  • Highlight any notable items from the recap
  • Discuss any needed modifications to add to the planning pages for next year
  • Discuss/decide if or how some of the topics that came up should be implemented
  • There was a big response for more Locals.
  • We have an inside contact with Microsoft an award winner from the PowerShell team stopped by the table and signed up.
  • We will put a Call out to members to check for their renewal and if they don't get the notice to get with us as soon as possible.
  • Philip to insert email here

New Business

LOPSA SWAG, T Shirts etc

William met with the printer. Dan has been working with Lands End. The printer said that the best option would be to get about 50 T Shirts printed. He will handle the printing, shipping. We take the orders using ubercart. More information at the next meeting. Last year we sold T Shirts. The Lands End page needs more work before we make it live. Dan requests that everyone look at the page.

Notes/announcements

The Yerkes Award looked very well.

Adjournment

Motion to Adjourn by William Second by Dan