Board meeting Minutes/1 Jun 2015

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
18 May 2015
Board meeting Minutes Next:
15 Jun 2015


Minutes approved: 15 Jun 2015


  • NOTICE to those on the line: All present agree to a temporary recording of this call to be be deleted no later than when the minutes are approved. Please speak up if you disagree with this and we will discuss it after roll call.
Unspecified
Move your name to Present or Apologies prior to the meeting!
Present
(Subject to verification) Dan Rich (chair), John Boris, William Bilancio, Matt Disney, Steve VanDevender, Thomas Uphill (late likely), Mark Honomichl
Apologies
Ski Kacoroski,George Beech
Guests
 ?
Opened
9:23 PM Eastern Time
Closed
9:44 PMEastern Time

Consent Agenda

Action Items

Dan walked through the below tickets and asked the board to review their tickets and update them or resolve them. The tickets that were owned by past Board members were transitioned to other board members. See RT Board Queue

Id Status Pri Updated Queue Owner Subject
NEW and last updated more than 21 hours ago
707 new 10 Mon 08-12-13 Board mdisney Create a WiAC letter for corporate donation appeals
731 new 10 Sun 09-29-13 Board Matt Simmons New member packet
778 new 10 Mon 04-21-14 Board drich Clean up board and governance wikis
691 new 10 Tue 01-13-15 Board mdisney Update SAGE name to LOPSA on NJ Sales Tax Certificate
932 new 10 Mon 05-04-15 Board wbilancio Investigate LOPSA presence at Velocity
873 new 10 Sat 05-30-15 Board ski LPR badge for LinkedIn
900 new 0 Thu 05-14-15 Board stevev Can someone please see if we have any records of what happened to this member's settings
OPEN and last updated more than 45 hours ago
839 open 10 Mon 01-27-14 Board mdisney Create LOPSA operational/planning calendar
899 open 10 Thu 06-26-14 Board Nobody board.lopsa.org access and lopsa.org e-mail needed for new board members
929 open 10 Tue 11-11-14 Board Nobody FOSSETCON
394 open 0 Thu 05-16-13 Board wbilancio Look into shirt providers who can print-on-demand
71 open 0 Mon 07-29-13 Board wbilancio Move lopsa.org to a new registrar. (leave unowned for now)
576 open 0 Mon 04-21-14 Board drich Fwd: [LOPSA-Board] Suggestion for Value Prop
STALLED and last updated more than 10 days ago
334 stalled 10 Fri 05-10-13 Board Martin Gehrke Establish a Volunteer of the Year
41 stalled 0 Mon 05-04-15 Board ski Increase visibility on sysadmin sites and blogs
46 stalled 0 Mon 05-04-15 Board ski Find orgs, MLs, forums, blogs, etc via which to recruit new members
60 stalled 0 Mon 05-04-15 Board ski Other advertising/articles in magazines

Standing Reports

Treasurer's report (Disney)

  • Balance info
    • BoA Account: $57,287.71
    • PayPal Account: $2,826.30
    • TDBank: $2,000.81
    • Total: $62,114.82
      • +/- from last meeting: $36,018.36
      • LOPSA Balance: $51,029.11
      • CasITConf Balance: $11,085.71


  • Summary of expenditures since last report:
    • Budgeted operational expenses
  • Summary of income since last report:
    • Cascadia accounts receivable ($34,623.78)
    • Membership dues
  • Outstanding assets
  • Outstanding liabilities
    • VanDevender ($500.00, payment pending)
    • Cascadia accounts payable ($750.00)
  • Top priorities
    • Cascadia: accounts payable, accounts receivable, contract for next year
    • Budget
    • Scott Koch refund
    • Transition bank accounts
    • 2013 990
    • 2014 990
    • Assuming HootSuite charges

Membership report (VanDevender)

  • See CiviCRM
  • Previous Month:
    • New: 23 (19 students)
    • Renew: 7 (2 students)
    • Lapsed: 109
  • Month to Date:
    • New: 0 (0 students)
    • Renew: 0 (0 students)
    • Lapsed: 0
  • Total: 696 (526 paying)

Dan asked if Matt could send the Cascadia'IT memebership list so he could walk Steve through the import process. Matt stated it was sent earlier but would resend it to the board.

Steve will search Civi for memberships that used the Special Discount for LOPSA-East.

Conference/events activities report (Bilancio)

LOPSA-East is working on their budget. Adam Levin is the conference chair and the committee will ramp up their efforts after July.

Ohio Linux Fest is being worked on.

SCALE notified Dan that if we plan to do a training track we should send in what we want to do as soon as possible.

Local Chapter Committee report (Bilancio)

The chapters are doing fine and getting ready for summer break. William spoke to the New York chapter and they are doing well.

William asked about anyone in Texas. Mark is in that area and William will be trying to contact Travis. Mark commented that it has been slow and Mark said he is in Austin most of the time.

Development report (Kacoroski)

Nothing to report

Communications (LOPSAgram, #lopsa-live, etc) (Kacoroski)

LOPSAGram will go out on Weds/Thurs.

Liaison reports (LC, etc.)

Technical Services Report (Bilancio)

Chan has been off the grid and William will ask Philip if he would like to take over the position. Dan mentioned he has dabbled with Drupal 7 and might have a theme to review shortly.

Mentorship Report (Beech)

No report

Leadership Committee (Kacoroski)

The schedule has been delayed for a week as the LC is still looking for candidates. We also ran into problems in that you cannot post comments to a blog posting on our website unless you log into the website. This pretty much killed anyone from posting questions that they would ask of the candidates. To get around this we will put a request for questions into the LOPSAgram.

WB - Why is the LC still looking for candidates if they haven't found them by now they won't find any more and why is it bad that they have to login to ask the questions? We would know who they were if we were on IRC. I think it's time to disband the LC.

Rich - If no one responded to the call for nominations, and we have 4 candidates, we need to get the election under way. It isn't clear to me from reading the by-laws if we even need to hold an election. there isn't any provision for write-in candidates on the ballot is there? We may be able to just declare all candidates as elected without holding an election. If we do have to have an election, we need to get the word out asap. The by-laws require notice of the election 21 days before the end of balloting. So that means we have to announce by the 9th if elections are going to be held on the 15th.

Dan stated that the elections have to be announced by June 9th if they are to conclude by the end of June as required in our bylaws. The consensus of the board is we should announce the election.

A question arose if we really had to have an election since we had four vacancies and four nominations. Our by-laws are silent on this and Sturgis states that we should have this covered in our by-laws.

Lisa'15 (Kacoroski)

Nothing to report

Sysadmin Day (Uphill)

Ideas inline: Option 1: Unsung hero tales: Tell us a story where you or a colleague saved the day. Even if nobody found out we'd love to hear about it. If you noticed the problem before it became a real issue, that's cool too. Be as technical as you feel like, times when you had to write a 200 line Powershell script or went 10 levels deep in a pipe. Prizes to be awarded for the best stories.

Option 2: Describe what being a sysadmin means to you. What do you do that makes your job a profession and a career and not just a job. How do you help your company in unseen ways everyday. What are some of the things that sets sysadmins apart from other technology roles.

Option 2b: Same thing but in the form of a haiku that describes what it means to be a sysadmin.

This one is more tech support than sysadmin I think. Option 3: Tell us your greatest tale of helping someone solve their problem. How you helped someone recover their files or fixed a nagging issue for them.

This is actually subreddit.(talesfromtechsupport)


I think we need a word limit (500?) and some wording that says if they write about someone else, that other person has the right to share/have the prize. Something like that, I know I personally don't like writing about myself, so I'd be more keen to write about someone else…

A discussion of the options above followed and the consensus fell to Option 2 with an option to add a Haiku to it. Thomas will wordsmith it up and work with Ski to coordinate it.

New Business

No new business

Notes/announcements

Matt asked about discussing the handling of Local finances. It was the consensus of the board to continue to discuss that in emails and put it on the agend for the June 15 meeting. Dan also stated that the budget would probably be done by that meeting and it would also be discussed.

Adjournment

Matt motioned for adjournment Seconded by William