Board meeting Minutes/23 October 2006

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
9 October 2006
Board meeting Minutes Next:
30 October 2006



Minutes approved: 30 October 2006

Present
Tom Perrine (chair), Matthew Barr, Trey Harris, Doug Hughes, David Parter, Stephen Potter, Pat Wilson (note taker), Sam Albrecht
Apologies
Andrew Hume
Opened
20:05 Eastern Time
Closed
22:03 Eastern Time

Consent Agenda

Consent agenda passes.

Action Items

Board Committees

  • Development Committee (Wilson/Potter)
  • Partnership and Liason Committee (Perrine)
    • Palmer - Contact local office of possible partner [due 10/16] - no report
    • Barr - Connect with Chapman regaring TechReach International and come back to board with proposal(s) for cooperation - no progress waiting on Chapman. Wilson will ping him
  • Leadership Committee (Greg Rose)
  • Policy Committee (Harris)
  • Communications Committee
    • Palmer - Discuss possible member survey methodologies with Chavez - no report
    • Potter - Select current sponsor to use regarding possible ad mockup. - in progress Sent request to Rackable
  • Membership Committee
    • Hume - Correct and update Memo to Members notification of Annual Membership Meeting, and resend to members - no report

Program Committees

  • Conference Planning Committee (Wilson/Perrine)
    • Wilson - form LISA planning group - DONE
  • Technical (Online) Services (Hughes/Parter)
    • Parter - Mailing lists/online forum - no progress
  • Content Services Committee (Palmer/Potter)
  • Locals Committee (Parter)
    • Parter - Work on a process for periodic contacts with chapters - no action AH will institute a procedure
    • Albrecht - email Arizona chapter about missing paperwork - DONE

Non-Committee

  • Financial
    • Hume - Prepare statement about AH payment [due 6/26] - no report
    • Hume - prepare annual financial report [due 6/26] - no report
  • Albrecht:
    • Touch base with IRS [due 10/16] - no progress waiting on State of NJ
    • Query insurance company regarding possible member insurance options [due 10/16] - no action next due 11/13
  • Barr:
  • Harris:
    • Restart Resume Standards project - in progress mail sent to mailing list; Harris will start a new wiki for the project
    • Present draft financial policies for Board approval (low priority) - no action
  • Hughes:
  • Hume:
    • Chat with the SNIA Chief Scientist regarding possible partnering [due 10/30] - no report
  • Palmer:
  • Parter:
  • Perrine:
    • Contact Leadership Committee regarding next (summer 2007) election [due 9/18] - DONE sent "early warning" message to Cmte on 10/16
  • Potter:
    • Send Albrecht Eicher's details for OLF thank you - DONE thank-you gift mailed
  • Wilson:
    • Email each Board member on 10/15 prodding for updates sent to rest of Board the following day - DONE
  • All:
    • Consider locations for Q1 2007 Sysadmin Days

Standing Reports

  • Treasurer's report (first meeting of the month only)
  • Membership report
    • See the online report for this week's status

New online accounts are still happening, though the conversion rate isn't great. Conversion "nag" email should be sent monthly (and November is almost here). Memberships are coming up for renewal soon - IT work will be required to set this up. More IT volunteers should be recruited.

ACTION ITEM: Hughes to work on member renewal system

  • Online report
  • Training event report
    • see the web site

More advertizing is crucial; local partners have not stepped up as much as expected. Go/no-go point has been passed; work now towards success of event.

ACTION ITEM: Hughes to generate a list of names for Perrine to contact directly
ACTION ITEM: Albrecht to generate detailed cost-breakdown/projection numbers (due 10/26)
ACTION ITEM: Perrine to post text of his mailing list message to the wiki
ACTION ITEM: Albrecht to talk to CEO of AZTech Council
ACTION ITEM: Wilson to attempt to find local .edu contacts

  • Development report

Biordi continues to make sponsorship contacts.

Sysadmin Days 2007

deferred until 30 October meeting

2007 Election Schedule

Election must be held in June. Voluteers will be needed to run the election (and review the election software) - they should be recruited at least 90 days before the election. The Leadership Committee will need to have an idea of how many candidates they'll need to find (including how many current Board members will be running); Perrine will convey the Board's sense that an excess over the required 9 is desired, but they should avoid encouraging candidates to run just to provide an excess.

ACTION ITEM: Perrine to contact Rose of Leadership Committee and convey Board's thoughts on the election.

Phoenix Board Meeting

Travel plans should be posted on the Board Meeting page. Agenda is online at 8 November 2006.

New Business

Monthly MtM Format

Potter's advertizing focus group suggest that we consider a PDF format for the MtM. This would make ads more visually striking as well as allow the introduction of design elements not possible with text. Others note that many members may not appreciate getting non-text attachments - perhaps it's possible to come up with an alternative (emailing just headlines with pointers to the full-text PDF, enabling users to set format preferences for this mail, etc). Volunteers should be recruited to investigate, as well as to determine how feasible it is to produce a non-ASCII MtM monthly.

It does seem to be the consensus that paid advertizing, provided it's done well, will happen.

Notes/announcements

Wilson apologizes for 30 October meeting.

Adjournment

MOTION to adjourn by Barr, seconded by Harris Passes. Adjourned at 22:03 ET