Board meeting Minutes/30 October 2006

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
23 October 2006
Board meeting Minutes Next:
8 November 2006



Minutes approved: 8 November 2006

Present
Tom Perrine (chair), Matthew Barr, Trey Harris, Doug Hughes (note taker), Andrew Hume, David Parter, Stephen Potter
Apologies
Pat Wilson
Opened
8:10 PM Eastern Time
Closed
9:32 PM Eastern Time

Consent Agenda

Action Items

Board Committees

  • Development Committee (Wilson/Potter)
  • Partnership and Liason Committee (Perrine)
    • Palmer - Contact local office of possible partner [due 10/16]
    • Barr - Connect with Chapman regaring TechReach International and come back to board with proposal(s) for cooperation
    • Wilson - Ping Chapman regarding Barr's email - DONE
  • Leadership Committee (Greg Rose)
    • Perrine - Contact Rose and convey Board's thoughts on the election - Rose in Australia
  • Policy Committee (Harris)
  • Communications Committee
    • Palmer - Discuss possible member survey methodologies with Chavez - Absent
    • Potter - Select current sponsor to use regarding possible ad mockup. - In Progres
  • Membership Committee
    • Hume - Correct and update Memo to Members notification of Annual Membership Meeting, and resend to members - Need to get ahold of Palmer
    • Hughes - Work on membership renewal system - To be have something by 11/8
    • Hughes - send out monthly non-paid-member note- DONE

Program Committees

  • Conference Planning Committee (Wilson/Perrine)
    • Phoenix Sysadmin Days
      • Hughes: Generate a list of Phoenix-area names for Perrine to contact directly - DONE
      • Albrecht: Generate detailed cost-breakdown/projection numbers [due 10/26] - Done
      • Perrine: Post text of mailing list message (intro to event) to the wiki - Sent to board, not to wiki. fixed soon
      • Albrecht: Talk to CEO of AZTech Council - CEO did not return phone calls

Discussion about whether to hold SysadminDays 2006 or not for 40 minutes. Various concerns were raised about low attendance numbers and the future of the organization. The sense of the board was that we felt it important to honor our committments to sponsors, attendees and speakers regardless of the additional expense. It's important to the organization to attempt to have a successful training event, even if we don't get the number of attendees desired or meet our monetary goals. We will have many lessons learned regarding scope, cost, location, marketing, and local involvement which we can use to make the next event a success.

Potter: Motion to hold SysadminDays 2006 in Phoenix as planned
Hume: Second
Motion passes 7:0
(not voting by absense: Palmer, Wilson)
      • Wilson: Attempt to find local .edu contacts - Perinne took. Got a few hits
  • Technical (Online) Services (Hughes/Parter)
    • Parter - Mailing lists/online forum - no progress
  • Content Services Committee (Palmer/Potter)
  • Locals Committee (Parter)
    • Parter, Albrecht - Work on a process for periodic contacts with chapters - Albrecht to take on this action going forward

Non-Committee

  • Financial
    • Hume - Prepare statement about AH payment [due 6/26] - will be ready next week. Will send email to board after tomorrow in preparation for next week
    • Hume - prepare annual financial report [due 6/26] - ditto
  • Albrecht:
    • Touch base with IRS [due 10/16] - Waiting for NJ state
    • Query insurance company regarding possible member insurance options [due 11/13] - Health insurance currently not feasible at our current size, but some sort of practitioners insurance may be. Still investigating.
  • Barr:
  • Harris:
    • Set up wiki for Resume Standards project
    • Present draft financial policies for Board approval (low priority)
  • Hughes:
  • Hume:
    • Chat with the SNIA Chief Scientist regarding possible partnering [due 10/30]
  • Palmer:
  • Parter:
  • Perrine:
  • Potter:
  • Wilson:
  • All:
    • Consider locations for Q1 2007 Sysadmin Days

Standing Reports

  • Treasurer's report (first meeting of the month only)
  • Membership report
    • See the online report for this week's status
  • Online report

Hughes reports on status of spam reduction, captcha, and momentum on Tools

  • Training event report
    • see the web site
  • Development report

Sysadmin Days 2007

from 23 October meeting

Where? When?

Deferred until after Nov 8

LOPSA Participation in Data Protection Summit

See DPS Conference Proposal

Yes, we want to do this (sense of board)

Using Job Target for Jobs board

see email about Jobs Board

Potter to take on more evaluation as part of Development committee

SysAdmin Magazine, CMP and LOPSA

> Amy Rich's Questions and
> Answers column is our most popular column in the magazine, and I was thinking
> that it would be nice to be able to answer additional questions submitted by
> readers via our new website. We could post some of the answers on the site, and
> send some of them via the e-newsletter, too. This could also be a good area for
> a chat room of some sort on the new site.
> 
> Would members of LOPSA be interested in answering some of the reader-submitted
> questions for the newsletter/site?
> Please let me know if you have some suggestions or feedback for this idea. We'd
> like to get it started soon.

Hughes and Barr volunteer to be additional answer people. We want branded content that sends people our way. Perinne to follow up with SA mag by Nov 3 for board meeting next week.

Adjournment

Motion to Adjourn: Barr 9:35, Second Hughes. Motion passes