Board meeting Minutes/26 Mar 2012

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
12 Mar 2012
Board meeting Minutes Next:
9 Apr 2012


Minutes approved: 9 Apr 2012

Present
Philip Kizer (chair), William Bilancio, Lois Bennett, Dan Rich, Jesse Trucks, Matt Disney
Apologies
Ski Kacoroski, Nadine Miller
Opened
9:04pm Eastern Time
Closed
11:13pm Eastern Time

Consent Agenda

Action Items

  • Dan cleaned up a lot of older items that should have been closed
  • Need to update case for contacting non-renewing members (Ski needs to contact Mary)


Standing Reports

  • Treasurer's report
    • Will focus on the 990 IRS form
  • Membership report
    • Cascadia new members and renewals not added yet
    • 59!! lapsed members this month, 27 in Feb
    • 94 new members since the first of the year
  • Technical services report
    • Making progress on the forums. David Lang is working on this. These will tie into the mailing lists.
    • Civi updates went well.
  • Conference/events activities report
    • Cascadia is all done. Did a great job with lots of sponsors and 114 people including one who registered on Saturday. Chairs were confused about the the room block so they did not use it. Lee Damon will co-chair next year.
    • PICC is doing great and already has date and contract signed for 2013.
  • Mentorship Status report
    • Got job description of mentor coordinators and added to our volunteer need list.
  • Development report
    • A few companies interested in sponsorships or discounts
  • Upcoming LOPSAgram and #lopsa-live


TSS Redmond Training... (Ski)

At Cascadia one of our sponsors was TSS Redmond, a training company. They have the infrastructure to provide interaction instructor led courses over the internet at prices started at 450/day/pp. They are willing to work with us to possibly set up some 2 - 4 courses of using our instructors and using some of their instructors. The idea is a LOPSA/TSS Redmond series of General System Admin courses (e.g. Tom's course on Time Management, etc.). Lots would have to happen to make this work such as we get instructors to agree to this. We may also be able to use them to stream podcasts about system admin topics also. Comments and what to do next?

  • William and Ski will follow up on this.

Education Projects (Kizer)

  • Update on Pepperdine
    • Not much here, mostly touching base
    • Need updated lists (benefits, etc)
    • Dan and William will set up membership benefits page
  • Some new movement reaching out to LOPSA
    • Suggestions include methodology (which groups to target and in what order, and that selling LOPSA does sometimes involve also pushing non-LOPSA orgs/events such as LISA, SANS, etc. which can still help sell LOPSA offerings due to closer and petter on price)
    • Discussion on reaching out to edu facilities

How to we get the board excited to be running LOPSA? (Dan)

We all need to be spending more time doing "board things". How do we get everyone on the board committed to spending 2-4 hours every week (or more) on LOPSA business?

  • each board member maintain some minimum "office hours" each week? (this bad idea brought to you by disneydisney)
  • Discussion what we could do better on this.

Group prep for #lopsa-live (all)

  • Discussion, brain-storming, and item generation for the next #lopsa-live

New Business

First new item...

Notes/announcements

Adjournment

Motion to adjourn at Dan by 10:13pm. Seconded by William