Board meeting Minutes/2 July 2007

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
18 June 2007
Board meeting Minutes Next:
9 July 2007



Minutes approved: 9 July 2007

Present
Tom Perrine (chair), Matthew Barr, Trey Harris, Doug Hughes, Andrew Hume, David Parter, Stephen Potter, Pat Wilson (note taker), Sam Albrecht
Apologies
Opened
20:02 Eastern Time
Closed
21:23 Eastern Time

Consent Agenda

  • Approve minutes of 18 June 2007
  • e-vote: MOTION by Potter, seconded by Parter, to proceed with getting a booth at the Ohio Linux Fest and approve payment of the $75 registration fee. Passes.
  • e-vote: MOTION by Potter, seconded by Hume, to approve up to $600 to sponsor maddog as a keynote speaker at OLF. Passes.

Consent agenda passes.

Action Items

Board Committees

[ Harris joins at 20:05 ]

  • Development Committee (Wilson/Potter)
  • Partnership and Liason Committee (Perrine)
  • Leadership Committee (Esther Filderman)
  • Policy Committee (Harris)
  • Communications Committee
    • Albrecht: Write a memo for distribution to members explaining the situation with Sysadmin Magazine - DONE will need to be sent
  • Membership Committee
    • Parter - Set up retention-rate report [due 5/28] - no action suggest making this Hughes' action
    • Albrecht - Refresh conversion letter - DONE needs to be sent out

Program Committees

  • Conference Planning Committee (Wilson/Perrine)
  • Technical (Online) Services (Hughes/Parter)
    • Perrine - Organize Sysadmin Day 2007 site update - in progress new volunteers found, and perhaps a project manager. The site should have a link to Sysadmin Days

[ Hughes joins at 20:10 ET ]

  • Content Services Committee (Palmer/Potter)
    • Palmer, Potter - Draft a plan regarding how a paid/compensated content director might help the website, and what sort of requirements we might make for that position [due 5/28] - no action Potter is investigating the idea of paid content

ACTION ITEM: Albrecht to investigate the idea of hosting the sysadmin CMP content on the LOPSA site

Non-Committee

  • Financial
  • Albrecht:
    • Provide status on IRS 501(c)(3) status - negative progress apparently IRS has lost paperwork. it has been resent
  • Barr:
  • Harris:
    • Present draft financial policies for Board approval (low priority) - in progress
  • Hughes:
    • Work with Frisch, Chalup, Halprin, Barr on consultant resources skeleton/framework [due 6/11] - no action
    • Contact Gilbert Wilson about work-pay ideas - no action
  • Hume:
    • Reconvene Code of Ethics review committee - no action
  • Palmer:
  • Parter:
  • Perrine:
  • Potter:
  • Wilson:
  • All:

Standing Reports

  • Treasurer's report (second meeting of the month only)
  • Membership report
    • See the online report for this week's status
  • Online report
  • Sysadmin Days report

Press release has gone out to members with a plea to redistribute. Potter will investigate getting a banner on the OLF site. Registrations continue to trickle in.

  • Development report (Meeting focus at first meeting of the month)

Albrecht will be sure to schedule a Development section during the new Board orientation in August. Albrecht will ask Biordi to distribute a current version of the sponsor contact spreadsheet by next week.

ACTION ITEM: Albrecht to delegate to staff to make a list of potential sponsors from targeted resources.

  • Upcoming MtM (last meeting of the month only)

Website advertising (tep)

It's the sense of the Board that (some) advertizment on the web site is not anathema. Perrine has begun a Web_site_advertising_proposal, which presents some advertizing models; agreement was reached that a gradiated model, where paid LOSPA members see the fewest ads, is probably best.

A detailed proposal should be created, addressing questions about the advertizing model, the source of the ads (many online ad companies exist), and how best to display the images.

OLF

OLF booth

See email MOTION in Consent agenda. Eicher has volunteered to pay the booth fee on LOPSA's behalf. Potter will recruit local LOPSA members to staff the booth.

OLF mini Sysadmin Days

LOPSA (via the Crossbow project) will work with OLF to provide appropriate training classes.

maddog looking for sponsor

LOPSA will sponsor maddog - see email MOTION in Consent agenda.

Opt-out for LOPSA mailings

MOTION by Harris, seconded by Parter: Amend Privacy policy to change, "You may opt out of recieving periodic announcements and memos" to, "You may opt out of receiving periodic announcements and memos, except for: 1. Announcements of changes to this Privacy Policy; 2. Announcements of elections or referenda; 3. Announcements LOPSA is legally required to furnish the membership; 4. Announcements deemed of an extraordinary nature by specific vote of the Board." Passes (Hughes abstains)

ACTION ITEM: Hughes, Parter to implement an appropriate opt-out mechanism

Notes/announcements

Perrine apologizes for July 9th and 16th; Potter apologizes for July 9th.

Adjournment

MOTION to adjourn by Barr, seconded by Parter. Passes. Adjourned at 21:23 ET