Board meeting Minutes/2 October 2006

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
25 September 2006
Board meeting Minutes Next:
9 October 2006



Minutes approved: 9 October 2006

Present
Trey Harris, Doug Hughes, Andrew Hume, Chris Palmer, Stephen Potter, Pat Wilson (chair, note taker), Sam Albrecht
Apologies
Matthew Barr, David Parter, Tom Perrine
Opened
20:03 Eastern Time
Closed
21:11 Eastern Time

Consent Agenda

Action Items

Board Committees

  • Development Committee (Wilson/Potter)
    • Albrecht - Develop sponsorship strategy and report to board. see agenda item below
  • Partnership and Liason Committee (Perrine)
    • Palmer - Contact local office of possible partner [due 10/16]
    • Albrecht - Send thank you packages to Sysadmin Day volunteers. - in progress men's shirts sent; women's are backordered
    • Barr - Connect with Chapman regaring TechReach International and come back to board with proposal(s) for cooperation - no report, but havne't heard back from Chapman at all on this. Will ping him.
  • Leadership Committee (Greg Rose)
  • Policy Committee (Harris)
  • Communications Committee
    • Palmer - Discuss possible member survey methodologies with Chavez - not done
    • Albrecht - Select current sponsor to use regarding possible ad mockup. no action.
  • Membership Committee
    • Wilson - Work on final wording for survey and send to Board for approval [due 9/27] - DONE

Program Committees

  • Conference Planning Committee (Wilson/Perrine)
    • Wilson - form LISA planning group - on hold for Memo to Members
    • Albrecht - Check AH Marriott room rates - in progress
    • Barr - Check further pricing on catering service and rooms - holding on Marriott response. Need to register to register BOF.
  • Technical (Online) Services (Hughes/Parter)
    • Parter - Mailing lists/online forum - no report
    • Parter, Hughes - Arrange appropriate access for Biordi on Wiki and website - DONE
  • Content Services Committee (Palmer/Potter)

Non-Committee

  • Financial
    • Hume - Prepare statement about AH payment [due 6/26] - in progress
    • Hume - prepare annual financial report [due 6/26] - in progress
  • Albrecht:
    • Touch base with IRS [due 10/16]
    • Query insurance company regarding possible member insurance options [due 10/16]
  • Barr:
  • Harris:
    • Restart Resume Standards project - no action
    • Present draft financial policies for Board approval (low priority) - no action
  • Hughes:
  • Hume:
    • Chat with the SNIA Chief Scientist regarding possible partnering - should be due 10/30
  • Palmer:
  • Parter:
  • Perrine:
    • Contact Leadership Committee regarding next (summer 2007) election [due 9/18] - no report
  • Potter:
  • Wilson:
  • All:

Standing Reports

  • Treasurer's report (first meeting of the month only)

The picture is not rosy - sponsor and member revenue is not keeping up with budgeted amounts. On the other hand, the "2006 budget numbers" aren't quite accurate, and a strictly linear pro-rate of the budget doesn't tell the whole picture. Hume and Albrecht will work on a cash flow budget for 2007. The level of detail of the published budget reports will be addressed at the next Treasurer's report.

  • Membership report
    • See the online report for this week's status

Increase in membership this week is most likely due to (1) conversion of non-member web accounts and (2) new contacts from the Ohio Linux Fest.

  • Online report

Hughes has introduced anti-spam measures (greylisting) on several of the LOPSA lists (though many of the public lists are intentionally not subject to the greylisting tactic).

  • Training event report
    • see the web site

A discount room rate ($109/night) has been secured. Online registration form should be going live within 48 hours.

  • Development report

LOPSA Live Follow up

Palmer reports that dicussion was fairly upbeat. Members are requesting a LOPSA evangelization kit (for their local groups and for their employers). A new LOPSA Chapter may be forming in Austin.

Proposed New Chapters

  • Madison, WI USA
    • Albrecht has received a formal reqest from 3 LOPSA members to form a provisional Local Chapter of LOPSA. All are paid members. No plans to charge local dues yet. Will recruit the other 9 required members to be removed from provisional status. Recommend approval.

MOTION: by Hume, seconded by Palmer to accept the Madison, WI local as a new provisional chapter. Passes.

Still waiting on the rest of the paperwork for the Arizona chapter.

Some sort of systematic contact with the chapters should happen - the Locals Committee (Parter) might want to define a process for this.

ACTION ITEM: Locals Committee (Parter) to work on a process for periodic contacts with chapters.

Sponsorship stuff

  • Proposal from Michelle about Sysadmin Days sponsorships

Sense of the Board is that this looks good

  • We owe BitPusher a "named event" at SAD (and verbal thanks to the Silver Corp sponsors, too)

OLF Report

~1000 attendees overall; ~200 came by the booth. Potter represented LOPSA on a panel about user groups and did a quick interview for OSTG, as well. Good exposure for LOPSA.

ACTION ITEM: Potter to send Albrecht Eicher's details for thank you

Potter is on the OLF 2007 planning committee. Sense of the board is that LOPSA should continue and possibly broaden its involvement.

Adjournment

MOTION to adjourn by Hume, seconded by Potter. Passes. Adjourned at 21:11 ET