Board meeting Minutes/3 April 2006

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
27 March 2006
Board meeting Minutes Next:
10 April 2006



Minutes approved: 10 April 2006

Present
Tom Perrine (chair), Matthew Barr, Trey Harris, Doug Hughes, Chris Palmer, David Parter, Stephen Potter, Pat Wilson (note taker)
Apologies
Sam Albrecht, Andrew Hume
Opened
20:05 Eastern Time
Closed
22:06 Eastern Time

Consent Agenda

Wilson holds minutes of 27 March 2006 for redaction

not approved; will return next week.

Action Items

Board Committees

  • Development Committee (Wilson/Potter)
    • Potter - Work on proposals for potential sponsors - in progress; waiting on reply from inquiry

Barr brought forward potential contacts from last week's event

  • Partnership and Liason Committee (Perrine)
    • Potter - Investigate potential discounts from targeted companies - in progress Signed up for Safari Affiliate program.
  • Leadership Committee (Greg Rose)
  • Policy Committee (Harris)
    • Barr, Harris - Work on Third-party discounts for members policy - no action

It was noted that this action item should not be a bottleneck for the discount-recruiting process.

    • All - talk to contacts about getting discounts for members (some already here)
  • Communications Committee
  • Membership Committee
    • Harris - Write and send a letter to non-paid lopsa.org account holders encouraging them to join. - no action
    • Harris, Parter - Produce a proposal for "sprint" membership drive mode. - no action
    • Parter - Look into "ongoing" mode membership drive mode issues - details needed Hughes has added a "referred by" field to the online new membership registration process.

Program Committees

  • Conference Planning Committee (Wilson/Perrine)
    • Parter - Write a note to the intl members asking whether they'd like to be ambassadors for LOPSA to SANE - Done
    • Perrine - Send a Parter-written note to the intl members asking whether they'd like to be ambassadors for LOPSA to SANE - not done; waiting on letter
  • Technical (Online) Services (Hughes/Parter)
    • Parter - Monthly transaction/product sales reports - no action
    • Parter - Mailing lists/online forum - in progress
    • Parter - Sponsorships page from database - no action
    • Hughes - Sponsorships in "userdb" interface - no action
    • Hughes - a user management infrastructure for Sam - no action
    • Hughes - Membership Discounts page ready for production
    • Hughes - Worthy Causes page under way (re: openssh)
  • Content Services Committee (Palmer/Potter)
    • Parter, Palmer - Revise the About Us page and begin the corporate history. - in progress

Non-Committee

  • Financial
    • Hume - Present draft financial policies for Board approval. - no report
  • Albrecht:
  • Barr:
  • Harris:
    • Post a description of the Resume Standards project - no action
  • Hughes:
  • Hume:
    • Work with Usenix to pursuade them to sign a grant letter to the IRS by 30 March 2006 - no report
  • Palmer:
  • Parter:
  • Perrine:
    • Add expenses to business plan - Done
    • Repost business plan by the weekend - Done
    • Email Ellie Young of Usenix asking about LOPSA space at Usenix ATC - not done
  • Potter:
  • Wilson:
    • Produce a proposal for a volunteer recognition program (with Harris, Parter) - no action
  • All
    • Re-read business plan
    • Think about other orgs that our members may be interested in giving money to

Standing Reports

  • Treasurer's report (first meeting of the month only)

moved to 10 April meeting by Hume request

  • Membership report
    • See wiki for this week's status
  • Online report

There seems to be some trouble sending mail to comcast - Barr will investigate.

Business Plan update

A discussion and review of the business plan took place. Perrine will re-edit and repost. It does appear that the plan is taking shape, and should be released soon.

[Palmer leaves at 21:46]

Membership Drive(s)

  • Membership drive(s) and membership goals

Various membership drive scenarios were discussed.

ACTION ITEM: Perrine and Parter will finish up the first drive proposal.

Misc

  • request for board member in UNC area (Mar 23 Sub: LOSPA membership question)
    • Parter has volunteered and should bring an expense plan for Board review
  • budget for "locals" support
    • the locals issue will be addressed next week in its own agenda item
  • Volunteer-USA
    • We'll mention Volunteer-USA's request in the April Memo to Members and follow up with them regarding future collaborations.
  • Book of the Month
    • ACTION ITEM: Barr and Potter will coordinate the April BotM and try to find a volunteer to carry it on.
  • Re: feb thread on clear indication about who is on board@lopsa.org
    • lopsa.org/AboutUs was modified to say: Send email to the Board of Directors and key staff: board@lopsa.org

Conferences

  • MIT SPAM report

Barr reports it was a nice conference (free admission). Numbers were down due to timing (MIT spring break) and the fact that the date had changed several times. LOPSA had tablespace, and Barr made a few contacts that should be followed up on.

  • LOPSA training event report

Progress continues; venue and date are set, program is solidifying.

Adjournment

MOTION to Adjourn by Barr, seconded by Hughes. Passes Adjourned at 22:06 ET.