Board meeting Minutes/3 April 2006
27 March 2006
|Board meeting Minutes||Next:
10 April 2006
Minutes approved: 10 April 2006
- Tom Perrine (chair), Matthew Barr, Trey Harris, Doug Hughes, Chris Palmer, David Parter, Stephen Potter, Pat Wilson (note taker)
- Sam Albrecht, Andrew Hume
- 20:05 Eastern Time
- 22:06 Eastern Time
- Approve minutes of 27 March 2006
Wilson holds minutes of 27 March 2006 for redaction
not approved; will return next week.
- Development Committee (Wilson/Potter)
- Potter - Work on proposals for potential sponsors - in progress; waiting on reply from inquiry
Barr brought forward potential contacts from last week's event
- Partnership and Liason Committee (Perrine)
- Potter - Investigate potential discounts from targeted companies - in progress Signed up for Safari Affiliate program.
- Leadership Committee (Greg Rose)
- Policy Committee (Harris)
- Barr, Harris - Work on Third-party discounts for members policy - no action
It was noted that this action item should not be a bottleneck for the discount-recruiting process.
- All - talk to contacts about getting discounts for members (some already here)
- Communications Committee
- Membership Committee
- Harris - Write and send a letter to non-paid lopsa.org account holders encouraging them to join. - no action
- Harris, Parter - Produce a proposal for "sprint" membership drive mode. - no action
- Parter - Look into "ongoing" mode membership drive mode issues - details needed Hughes has added a "referred by" field to the online new membership registration process.
- Conference Planning Committee (Wilson/Perrine)
- Parter - Write a note to the intl members asking whether they'd like to be ambassadors for LOPSA to SANE - Done
- Perrine - Send a Parter-written note to the intl members asking whether they'd like to be ambassadors for LOPSA to SANE - not done; waiting on letter
- Technical (Online) Services (Hughes/Parter)
- Parter - Monthly transaction/product sales reports - no action
- Parter - Mailing lists/online forum - in progress
- Parter - Sponsorships page from database - no action
- Hughes - Sponsorships in "userdb" interface - no action
- Hughes - a user management infrastructure for Sam - no action
- Hughes - Membership Discounts page ready for production
- Hughes - Worthy Causes page under way (re: openssh)
- Content Services Committee (Palmer/Potter)
- Parter, Palmer - Revise the About Us page and begin the corporate history. - in progress
- Hume - Present draft financial policies for Board approval. - no report
- Post a description of the Resume Standards project - no action
- Work with Usenix to pursuade them to sign a grant letter to the IRS by 30 March 2006 - no report
- Add expenses to business plan - Done
- Repost business plan by the weekend - Done
- Email Ellie Young of Usenix asking about LOPSA space at Usenix ATC - not done
- Produce a proposal for a volunteer recognition program (with Harris, Parter) - no action
- Re-read business plan
- Think about other orgs that our members may be interested in giving money to
- Treasurer's report (first meeting of the month only)
moved to 10 April meeting by Hume request
- Membership report
- See wiki for this week's status
- Online report
There seems to be some trouble sending mail to comcast - Barr will investigate.
Business Plan update
A discussion and review of the business plan took place. Perrine will re-edit and repost. It does appear that the plan is taking shape, and should be released soon.
[Palmer leaves at 21:46]
- Membership drive(s) and membership goals
Various membership drive scenarios were discussed.
ACTION ITEM: Perrine and Parter will finish up the first drive proposal.
- request for board member in UNC area (Mar 23 Sub: LOSPA membership question)
- Parter has volunteered and should bring an expense plan for Board review
- budget for "locals" support
- the locals issue will be addressed next week in its own agenda item
- We'll mention Volunteer-USA's request in the April Memo to Members and follow up with them regarding future collaborations.
- Book of the Month
- ACTION ITEM: Barr and Potter will coordinate the April BotM and try to find a volunteer to carry it on.
- Re: feb thread on clear indication about who is on email@example.com
- lopsa.org/AboutUs was modified to say: Send email to the Board of Directors and key staff: firstname.lastname@example.org
- MIT SPAM report
Barr reports it was a nice conference (free admission). Numbers were down due to timing (MIT spring break) and the fact that the date had changed several times. LOPSA had tablespace, and Barr made a few contacts that should be followed up on.
- LOPSA training event report
Progress continues; venue and date are set, program is solidifying.
MOTION to Adjourn by Barr, seconded by Hughes. Passes Adjourned at 22:06 ET.