Board meeting Minutes/8 Aug 2016

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
25 Jul 2016
Board meeting Minutes Next:
22 Aug 2016



Minutes approved: 20-21 Aug 2016

  • NOTICE to those on the line: All present agree to a temporary recording of this call to be be deleted no later than when the minutes are approved. Please speak up if you disagree with this and we will discuss it after roll call.
Unspecified
Move your name to Present or Apologies prior to the meeting!
Present
(Subject to verification) Steve VanDevender, John Boris,Scott Suehle, Ski Kacoroski (chair), Paul English, Atom Powers, George Beech
Apologies
Matt Disney,Thomas Uphill
Guests
Opened
9:03 PM Eastern Time
Closed
9:37 PMEastern Time

Consent Agenda

Action Items

No Action items

Standing Reports

Treasurer's report (Disney, Kacoroski)

  • We need to resolve the Wells Fargo account
  • John deposited the checks that were received in the mail.

Membership report (VanDevender)

  • Total active members: 694 (previous report: 690, change: 4)
  • Paying: 441 (7 new in last 30 days)
  • Non-paying: 253 (9 new in last 30 days)

Paying members include Individual, Charter, Founding, and Lifetime memberships. Non-paying members include Student and Complimentary memberships.

Committee reports

Conferences/Events/Chapters activities report (Powers)

LOPSA-NJ (Boris)

I met with Joe Youn and Mike Stoppay and discussed the future of LOPSA-NJ. The next meeting will be September 1 at the Mercer County Library in Lawrenceville, NJ. There is a current request out to the lists for a speaker for that night. They have the Library reserved for the next few months. They want to host some meetings at Montclair University as they think they will draw some interest from NYC. They want to

  • Have LOPSA host the LOPSA-NJ email list and I have let William know this and he is on-board with handing that over when we are ready to do that.
  • Have LOPSA create email addresses for them to handle LOPSA-NJ email.

LOPSA-East (Boris)

I met with Jou Youn and Mike Stoppay yesterday at Montclair State University. The quick response is the site is doable for a conference. I will be putting together the entire report in the agenda for the next meeting on August 8th.

  • They have access to two buildings
  • One room is an ideal room for Keynote. Full AV, multile large screens, Confidence monitors for speakers and we can video anything in that room
  • Atrium for Hallway track
  • Seminar room for vendors and food
  • Outdoor area as well for hallway track and dining
  • 3 dates June 10,17 or 24th
  • They want to retain the name LOPSA-East
  • Will be one day event with Friday night gathering at local Hotel
  • Parking is an issue but workable on a Saturday
  • Will need to provide shuttle service from Train as Train doesn't stop at Montclair on Saturday but that would depend on the registrants.
  • We only need to pay for Food as Rooms/Internet are free.
  • If the conference were to grow they have a full conference center which is a cost. I told them to get me the price for that so we can compare.

I walked around the buildings with Joe and Mike which is a feat for me as it was a brutal day. It is a short walk from the parking lot or Shuttle stop. We could use the two buildings. I will be sending out a call for volunteers for the committee in a week or two. Then from there we will set the date, tracks etc.

I am also going to contact:

  • Tom Limoncelli,
  • Matt Simmons
  • Dave Parter
  • David Blank Edelman

The four of them have been integral with the success of past LOPSA-NJ conferences. I will get with them personally and ask them for their support in backing the conference, if they would be in the area if they would like to do a talk or tutorial.

This will be a scaled down conference of one day with Tutorials, Talks and Keynotes.Keynote will either open or close the day. The day will end around 5:30-6 PM. Probably have a start time of 8:30 AM Friday night will be a meetup session where we would stuff bags for Registration.

So it looks good for now. I told them LOPSA would sign any agreement and all agreements will have a back out clause where we will not get nailed for a big chunk.

Lisa'16 (Kacoroski, Uphill)

Yerkes Award

We are still looking for a winner. George and Ski will review Stackoverflow for possible winners.

Education (Kacoroski, Boris)

On hold until Face to Face

Speakers Bureau (Powers, English)

  • On hold until F2F

Marketing/Communications (LOPSAgram, #lopsa-live, etc) (English, Uphill)

  • August LOPSAgram is pretty thin. Anyone got anything? I've got: some locals, and President's corner. That is it!!
  • Accumulating Marketing "stuff" here: https://board.lopsa.org/Marketing for a meeting with Heather, hopefully before F2F
  • Paul will try to speak with Heather before the F2F and will work with her on the next LOPSAgram so he will be able to turn it over to her.
  • With Heather's help we should be able to have a better budget with defined expenditures.
  • Paul is working with a vendor for advertising in the LOPSAgram for September/October.
  • George recommended a call for nominations for Yerkes Award winners in the next LOPSAgram.
  • Atom asked about any conferences coming up that we can remind people of. Steve recommended the big list on USENIX's site.
  • John mentioned about an email from Aleksey about Volunteers of the month/year. Also mentorship award was handed out at the Mentorship BoF.

Technical Services Report (Beech, VanDevender)

Dan is officially the chair!

Proposed Projects to get started

Short term projects
  • Migrate everything off of lopsa-sb1 (to DreamHost?)
    • Wiki
    • art-dept
    • Any other static content (?)
    • mailman lists
    • lopsabot
    • Ticketing (RT - migrate to something else?)
      • John suggested Spiceworks
      • George said let the Tech team decide as they will work with it the most.
    • Archive all of the old lopsa.org web pages and membership records
    • Other?
  • Identify other hosts and evaluate if we still need them:
    • lopsa-dev
    • monitoring
    • Other?
  • Setup and configure locals.lopsa.org
    • Test WordPress server currently running at locals-dh.lopsa.org, one site configured for SASAG
  • DNS - Do we want to migrate it to DreamHost?
    • Ski suggested move the DNS


Long term projects:
  • Project tracking
    • Find a way to track our projects, volunteer resources, and time spent
  • Secure vault
    • We need a better method for securing shared passwords, certificates, etc.
  • Slack instead of / in addition to IRC?
    • Can we build a bot to mirror the content between them or does one already exist?

Does the board have anything else they want the TSC to work on?

Mentorship Report (Boris, Beech)

  • Craig will be away for a few weeks. We have to stop the current automation as it is not working properly.

Recognition (Uphill, Disney)

Sysadmin Day

  • John sent a package of stuff to Warner. He was the only Local that requested anything.
  • We have a winner and we will get his contact info to send him the prize. Paul will contact Thomas on this.

Leadership Committee (Warner, Kacoroski)

Sent gift cards out to folks who helped with the election. Need correct address for Greppy.

LISA '16 Exchange Agreement with USENIX (stevev)

  • See email from Jasmine Murcia <jasmine@usenix.org> to lopsa-board.
  • In return for a $45 registration discount for LOPSA members to LISA '16, USENIX is asking for a LISA '16 listing on the LOPSA events calendar and a post to LOPSA social media channels to promote LISA '16.
  • Proposed addition to agreement: LOPSA table at LISA '16 in exchange for USENIX table at Cascadia and/or LOPSA-East in 2017?
  • I can continue working with USENIX on the agreement as approved by the board.
  • It was also suggested that we have the table starting Tuesday at the Registration and possibly move it to the vendor area for the rest of the week. In previous meetings we discussed that we might look into getting a table in the vendor area.

Next Meeting Date

The next meeting will be the Face to Face and at that meeting the new meeting schedule will be set.

Notes/announcements

No announcements

Adjournment

 George Motioned for Adjournment
 John Seconded