Difference between revisions of "Board meeting Minutes/23 Mar 2015"
(Populate page from internal wiki: Board_meeting_Minutes/23_Mar_2015)
Latest revision as of 15:46, 13 April 2015
9 Mar 2015
|Board meeting Minutes||Next:
6 Apr 2015
Minutes approved: 6 Apr 2015
- NOTICE to those on the line: All present agree to a temporary recording of this call to be be deleted no later than when the minutes are approved. Please speak up if you disagree with this and we will discuss it after roll call.
- Move your name to Present or Apologies prior to the meeting!
- (Subject to verification) Dan Rich (chair), William Bilancio, John Boris, Steve VanDevender, Matt Disney,George Beech,Thomas Uphill
- Ski Kacoroski, Mark Honomichl
- 9:02 PM Eastern Time
- 9:35 PM Eastern Time
- 1 Consent Agenda
- 2 Action Items
- 3 Standing Reports
- 3.1 Treasurer's report (Disney)
- 3.2 Membership report (VanDevender)
- 3.3 Conference/events activities report (Bilancio)
- 3.4 Local Chapter Committee report (Bilancio)
- 3.5 Development report (Kacoroski)
- 3.6 Communications (LOPSAgram, #lopsa-live, etc) (Kacoroski)
- 3.7 Project Management report (Rich)
- 3.8 Liaison reports (LC, etc.)
- 4 10th Year Celebration (Kacoroski)
- 5 Office Manager... (Ski)
- 6 LOPSA-East '16 (Bilancio)
- 7 Designate CasITconf 2015 sponsors as LOPSA sponsors (Disney)
- 8 New Business
- 9 Notes/announcements
- 10 Adjournment
- The minutes of 9 Mar 2015 were approved
Board members were asked to review the RT queue.
Treasurer's report (Disney)
- Balance info
- BoA Account: $29,753.89
- PayPal Account: $52.70
- TDBank: $1,989.89
- Total: $31,796.48
- +/- from last meeting: -$9,203.48
- Explanation for substantial balance decrease since last meeting: Cascadia IT Conference expenditures and outstanding accounts receivable.
- We will expect about a $15,000 increase from Cascadia. That includes our membership payment. Cascadia did not need our help with startup. $3,800 of the $15,000 is our membership money. We will hold the remaining amounts for SASAG for future conferences.
- Matt Disney congratulated SASAG and the Cascadia volunteers on a job well done.
- Matt Disney suggested there might be room to improve the conference but it is run very lean already. But it should be reviewed to see if anything could be improved.
- Summary of expenditures since last report:
- Budgeted operational expenses
- Summary of income since last report:
- Cascadia sponsorships
- Outstanding assets
- Cascadia accounts receivable
- Outstanding liabilities
- VanDevender (report submitted, William has this)
- Cascadia expenses
- SCALE expenses to Ski (pending)
- PO Box reimbursement to William (pending)
- Top priorities
- Cascadia: accounts receivable, contract for next year
- Scott Koch refund
- F2F reimbursement (VanDevender)
- Transition bank accounts
- 2013 990
- Assuming HootSuite charges
- Expected overall net income from Cascadia (including memberships): approx $15,000
- Need VanDevender expense report
Membership report (VanDevender)
- Previous Month:
- New: 22 (9 students)
- Renew: 5 (0 students)
- Lapsed: 45
- Month to Date:
- New: 8 (3 students)
- Renew: 5 (0 students)
- Lapsed: 71
- Total: 799 (631 paying)
- The import from Cascadia is needed. Matt Disney will pass this on to Steve once he reconciles the Cascadia results
Conference/events activities report (Bilancio)
- LOPSA-East later in the agenda.
- William is waiting to hear back from Warner on Ohio Linux Fest.
Local Chapter Committee report (Bilancio)
The locals are doing fine. William is trying to coordinate a meeting.
Development report (Kacoroski)
Did mailing for Netwrix. Nothing else to report.
Communications (LOPSAgram, #lopsa-live, etc) (Kacoroski)
Sent out request for LOPSAgram content. Please get it to me by the end of the week. I have a volunteer who will be helping me to proof read it before it goes out.
Project Management report (Rich)
No report but reminded the board members to take ownership of one or more of the projects on the Project page
Liaison reports (LC, etc.)
Technical Services Report (Bilancio)
William is continuing to try and get a report from Chan but has had no success. He will keep trying.
Mentorship Report (Beech)
The group hasn't met.
LOPSA Professional Recognition
Leadership Committee (Kacoroski)
Nothing to report. Dan Rich mentioned that he has spoken with Ski and forwarded the Calendar the LC should be working on. The notice for Elections should be out.
10th Year Celebration (Kacoroski)
Talked with Trueability and they are willing to work with us to set up a contest for our anniversary celebration at LISA. I am currently planning to announce it at system admin days in late July to build up to the contest. Any other ideas are appreciated.
Office Manager... (Ski)
Please check out https://docs.google.com/a/lopsa.org/document/d/1QAuTg_d7zJIN3mfgCte7Q7FJ6WEOu1AsZaJGdbOWHbE/edit I have edited it to take in account your feedback. I would like to start posting it this week if you approve. The consensus of the board was to put this on hold until the budget was finished and we will be able to see if we can afford the position.
LOPSA-East '16 (Bilancio)
LOPSA-NJ has signed a contract with the Hyatt Regency New Brunswick for May 5/6 - 5/7 2016. They need to know from the lawyer if they can use the LOPSA Tax exempt status so they don't have to pay NJ sales tax. This will save at least $2,718.69 (Sales Tax paid in 2014). Dan Rich stated that from how he reads the BY-Laws the locals are an extension of the National but he would rather get the legal response from the lawyer. Dan Rich will reach out to the lawyer on this. A short discussion about the lawyer's responsiveness. He did cash the retainer check and he has to be more responsive. Both John Boris and William Bilancio said they would personally visit his office if need be.
Designate CasITconf 2015 sponsors as LOPSA sponsors (Disney)
MOTION by Matt Disney: I move that, in recognition of their support of Cascadia IT Conference 2015, LOPSA extend an offer of corporate sponsorship status to the 2015 Cascadia IT Conference sponsors at a commensurate level, as listed below (actual donated amount in parentheses), once accounts are settled:
- Peak Hosting ($3000)
- Silicon Mechanics ($3000)
- Virtual Qube / Fujitsu ($3000)
- Cambridge Computer ($1500)
- Pogo Storage ($1500)
Furthermore, LOPSA will offer to the following 2015 Cascadia IT Conference sponsors a credit toward LOPSA corporate sponsorship at the commensurate level (e.g. offer to apply $250 toward a LOPSA corporate sponsorship, which would require an additional $750 this year to reach Bronze status):
- Apcera ($250)
- EMC ($250)
- GCS IT ($250)
- IX Systems ($250)
- Opengear ($250)
- Puppet Labs ($250)
- Salt Stack ($250)
- Prior to a second there was a short discussion on how the money from Cascadia was handled. It was decided that we (the National) only handled the money for Cascadia and the monies were paid to Cascadia.
- John Boris stated that we should show in the Treasurer's report a line item that shows that money is marked for Cascadia/SASAG.
- George Beech clarified that the only money that LOPSA receives is the Dues and the remaining money goes to the Local that put on the conference.
- George Beech was concerned about that later down the road we might trip over some legality.
- William Bilancio pointed to USENIX doing something similar for LISA. He also stated if this is going to be done in the future it should be explained in the conference materials.
- Further discussion on what Sponsorships are and how they are defined continued.
- Matt Disney stated the Board would have the authority to call anyone a sponsor for any reason. Dan Rich defined that as long as it is a policy and not a by law.
- Dan Rich searched Governance for this clarification and based on that search the Board has the authority to do this.
- Thomas Uphill asked that SASAG be mentioned as well when the Sponsors are notified as they may not easily put SASAG with Cascadia.
- The Motion was seconded by William Bilancio.
- The Motion passed without objection.
- Another discussion followed on making this offer to Conference Sponsors a Standing Motion or a Policy.
- Matt Disney suggested that if a Local gets a local sponsor and we can then offer them something. on that end Matt said he would take this suggestion and put together a proposal for the next meeting and through email for approval.
No new business
Matt Disney moved for Adjournment Seconded by William Bilancio