Board meeting Minutes/7 Nov 2011
24 Oct 2011
|Board meeting Minutes||Next:
21 Nov 2011
Minutes approved: 21 Nov 2011
- Philip Kizer (chair), Ski Kacoroski, William Bilancio, Matt Disney, Dan Rich, Lois Bennett, Nadine Miller, Chris St. Pierre, Jesse Trucks
- 09:05pm Eastern Time
- 10:17pm Eastern Time
- 1 Consent Agenda
- 2 Action Items
- 3 Standing Reports
- 4 SAGE Salary Survey Partnership with USENIX (DISNEY)
- 5 Leadership Committee Interactions (drich)
- 6 Financial Tracking (drich)
- 7 LOPSA branded merchandise (drich)
- 8 ByLaw change for Secretary-Treasurer (trucks)
- 9 New Business
- 10 Notes/announcements
- 11 Adjournment
- Approve minutes of 24 Oct 2011
- 17 unowned tickets -- we need to pick these up faster
- We need to do better at managing tickets
RT Ticket Status User Open tickets by queue Totals Board Customer S Membership Mentorship Tech Team Website Unassigned 3 6 1 4 3 17 drich 7 3 1 1 12 jessetruck 3 3 lois 13 1 14 mharlow 5 5 nickanders 6 6 pckizer 4 4 ski 6 1 7 stpierre 3 3 wbilancio 12 2 7 21 zodic 5 5 Totals 51 12 1 13 10 10 97
Stalled tickets Ticket # Description Queue Owner Created Last Updated 28 Build linkage between Google Apps and CiviCRM Board wbilancio 1 years ago 2 months ago 30 Set up an online tee-shirt sale Board wbilancio 1 years ago 8 months ago 54 Speak with Rob Kolstad re: state of Body of Knowledge Board lois 1 years ago 8 months ago
Unowned tickets Ticket # Description Queue Status Created Last Updated 416 Membership invalid when trying to renew? Customer Service new Fri Nov 04 08:17:25 2011 Fri Nov 04 08:17:27 2011 404 Organization information Customer Service new Mon Oct 03 10:47:01 2011 Mon Oct 03 10:47:02 2011 365 Membership card Customer Service new Wed Aug 17 14:22:20 2011 Wed Aug 17 14:22:22 2011 331 Sync board and governance wiki contents Board new Sat Aug 13 08:32:59 2011 Sat Aug 13 08:33:00 2011 53 Build relationships with conferences other than LISA (tal can provide introduction to ACM) Board new Tue Oct 05 15:32:12 2010 Tue Oct 05 15:32:12 2010 35 rewards for members (referral codes) Tech Team open New Reply Tue Oct 05 15:23:56 2010 Mon Oct 24 10:38:34 2011
- Treasurer's report
- Bank balance is healthy - some bills for items for our booth at LISA
- Discussion about what to do about AH debt as they have not been responding to our questions
- Membership report
Membership Summary (counts are new / renewed / total) Members by Type Oct Nov (MTD) 2011 (YTD) Current # Individual 8 / 4 / 12 3 / 0 / 3 289 / 48 / 337 568 Student 0 / 0 / 0 0 / 0 / 0 16 / 1 / 17 36 Honorary 0 / 0 / 0 0 / 0 / 0 0 / 0 / 0 0 Charter 0 / 3 / 3 0 / 0 / 0 1 / 22 / 23 139 Founding 0 / 0 / 0 0 / 0 / 0 0 / 1 / 1 13 Complimentary 0 / 0 / 0 0 / 0 / 0 1 / 0 / 1 1 Totals (all types) 8 / 7 / 15 3 / 0 / 3 307 / 72 / 379 757
- Membership Additional
- We have lost 220 members to date so we are growing, but not keeping our members
- Plan to set out note to members about the work that we are doing to keep their interest up
- We need to improve our benefits
- Nadine is willing to help folks publish stuff
- Ski needs to set up a survey to find out why people are not renewing
- Discussed setting up email addresses for lopsa members such as <username>@somedomain.org
- Technical services report
- No major projects
- Conference/events activities report
- SCALE trainers are set. We need to figure out how to manage the class security.
- Cascadia and PICC are coming along fine.
- LISA stuff in progress or already to go. Lois will get the Yerkes award ready. Mentorship is planning a BOF. We will have several meetings with other groups (Usenix, Mentorship, etc.) at LISA.
- Mentorship Status report
- They want to meet with the board at LISA
- Development report (Meeting focus at first meeting of the month)
- Need a better way to track sponsor contacts (e.g. use Civi to do this)
- Dan will send William a contact at Splunk for a conference sponsorship
- Upcoming LOPSAgram and #lopsa-live (last meeting of the month only)
- See needs input for LOPSAgram. Ski wants to get it out at the 1st of December.
SAGE Salary Survey Partnership with USENIX (DISNEY)
Usenix would like to have us partner with them on the Salary survey. We would like to have some input on the questions though. We also need to understand more what Usenix would like us to do as a partner. Matt will follow up with the Usenix folks.
Leadership Committee Interactions (drich)
- TEP and I now have a bi-weekly call before the board meeting
Suggestion from tep:
More communications with the members about what the Board is doing, more comms with the LC about how we can help, and some drive to get to 1K users, or 20 volunteers, or some other measurable goal that can be achieved.
What can we do to achieve this and/or what specific steps can we take? What do we want from the LC?
- Build a project portfolio for volunteers (asap)
- Define our annual and quarterly goals -- all should have discrete goals and measurable completion
- We need to delegate!!! (i.e. get Jr. people to do a lot of individual board member legwork - maybe a Jr. person for every board member -- Board job would be to mentor them and give them work to do that would help them to grow)
- The idea is to get this set up so we can start really working with the Leadership committee starting in 2012.
- We need to figure out how to create project plans so we can expand our work to more volunteers.
Financial Tracking (drich)
We need to come up with a better method of tracking our finances and managing financial processes. Have we considered purchasing an organizational copy of Quickbooks and/or looked into on-line versions of it or like software?
- We decided to check into QuickBooks online
LOPSA branded merchandise (drich)
I have been looking for somewhere that can provide quality branded merchandise, something beyond what we can get from a Zazzle or Cafe Press. The two best I have been able to find are L. L. Bean and Land's End. Both produce quality products that would be branded with our logo or design.
Who wants to work with me in evaluating what they offer and building a comparison of the two of them (and/or identifying other vendors)? This is something I would like to move on quickly so we can get an on-line store in place offering merchandise. I believe both of them would provide order fulfillment, so other than ordering in quantity at a discount for conferences, we wouldn't need to keep any stock on hand.
- Dan would like help with the evaluation of these options. William will work with Dan on looking at another option.
ByLaw change for Secretary-Treasurer (trucks)
I, William Bilanco, move that the Board of Directors amend the ByLaws for Article 7. Officers to split the Secretary-Treasurer position into two separate positions of Secretary and Treasurer. The wording for the new Article 7. Officers section of the ByLaws would be as follows:
Article 7. Officers
The Officers of the Association shall be: (a) the President, (b) the Vice-President, (c) the Secretary, and (d) the Treasurer.
The President shall preside, or arrange for other Directors to preside, at all general meetings and at all meetings of the Board of Directors.
The President shall have general supervision over the affairs of the Association subject to the control of the Board of Directors. The President shall perform such other duties as may from time to time be assigned to this office by the Board of Directors.
The Vice-President shall perform all the duties of the President in the President's absence or at the Board's request and in so acting shall have all the responsibilities of and be subject to all the restrictions upon the President.
The Vice-President shall perform such other duties as may from time to time be assigned to this office by the Board of Directors or by the President.
The Secretary shall ensure that all records are maintained and that all member communications are conducted in accordance with the Rules of the Association.
The Secretary shall perform such other duties as may from time to time be assigned to this office by the Board of Directors or by the President.
The Treasurer shall ensure that all books and financial records are maintained and shall prepare an annual financial report for the Association. The Treasurer shall file all statements and reports required of the Association in a timely manner.
The Treasurer shall perform such other duties as may from time to time be assigned to this office by the Board of Directors or by the President.
- Motion passes unopposed
- Lois nominated by Philip and seconded by William for Treasurer. Lois elected unopposed.
- Ski nominated by William and seconded by Dan for Secretary. Ski elected unopposed.
First new item...
Ski motions that we adjourn and William seconds at 10:17pm