Board meeting Minutes/18 September 2006

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
11 September 2006
Board meeting Minutes Next:
25 September 2006



Minutes approved: 25 September 2006

Present
Matthew Barr, Trey Harris, Doug Hughes, Andrew Hume, David Parter, Stephen Potter, Pat Wilson (note taker), Sam Albrecht
Apologies
Tom Perrine
Opened
20:07 PM Eastern Time
Closed
21:20 Eastern Time

Consent Agenda

Consent agenda passes.

Action Items

Board Committees

  • Development Committee (Wilson/Potter)
    • Albrecht - Develop sponsorship strategy and report to board - in progress
  • Partnership and Liason Committee (Perrine)
    • Palmer - Contact local office of possible partner [due 10/16]
    • Perrine - Write Sysadmin Day thank you letter for volunteers - DONE

ACTION ITEM: Albrecht to take on thank you packages

  • Leadership Committee (Greg Rose)
  • Policy Committee (Harris)
  • Communications Committee
    • Palmer - Discuss possible member survey methodologies with Chavez - not present
    • Albrecht - Select current sponsor to use regarding possible ad mockup - not done
  • Membership Committee
    • Hughes, Palmer: Generate appropriate lists and send letters out to non-member web accounts - sending in coming week

Program Committees

  • Conference Planning Committee (Wilson/Perrine)
    • Wilson - form LISA planning group - in progress
    • Barr - investigate suite arrangements at LISA
      • $500/night - junior suite (~10 people)
      • $1000/night - executive suite w/wetbar (~40 people)
      • Possibility of bof room (followup)
      • Albrecht to check AH Marriot room rates
      • Barr to check further pricing on catering service and rooms
  • Technical (Online) Services (Hughes/Parter)
    • Parter - Mailing lists/online forum - somebody potentially interested
  • Content Services Committee (Palmer/Potter)

Non-Committee

  • Financial
    • Hume - Prepare statement about AH payment [due 6/26] - in progress
    • Hume - prepare annual financial report [due 6/26] - in progress
  • Albrecht:
    • Check with State of NJ regarding article changes - DONE
    • Touch base with IRS [due 8/28] - in progress
    • Query insurance company regarding possible member insurance options [due 8/28]
    • Email Parter regarding LOPSA shirt re-orders - DONE
    • Email folks with outstanding shirt orders regarding the delay - DONE
  • Barr:
  • Harris:
    • Restart Resume Standards project - no report
    • Present draft financial policies for Board approval (low priority) - no report
  • Hughes:
    • Generate a list of member consultants to directly query regarding possible insurance offerings - DONE
  • Hume:
    • Chat with the SNIA Chief Scientist regarding possible partnering [due 9/11] - no response yet; sending another
  • Palmer:
  • Parter:
  • Perrine:
    • Contact Leadership Committee regarding next (summer 2007) election [due 9/18] - no report
  • Potter:
  • Wilson:
    • Concretize member survey agenda item (see below)
    • Email Board regarding finalization of in-person meeting - DONE
  • All:

Standing Reports

  • Treasurer's report (first meeting of the month only)
    • July and August financials should be done next week.
  • Membership report
    • See the online report for this week's status
  • Online report
  • Training event report
    • see the web site
    • We are finalizing speakers. We need to sign the contract with the hotel this week. This will commit LOPSA to a $20,000 penalty if the event is canceled between 0 and 30 days out, $10,000 if cancelled between 30 and 60. Break-even point for registrations is somewhere around 150 attendees. Parter and Albrecht recommend a motion to authorize the signature of the contract. The contract has been reviewed by Parter, Albrecht, and AH meetings department.

MOTION by Parter, seconded by Hume, to sign the contract for the Training Event in Phoenix Passes.

  • Development report
    • See Albrecht's report

Resume Standards Project update (Harris)

from 11 Sept meeting

Harris unavailable - push to next meeting

Member survey (Wilson)

from 11 Sept meeting

Straw poll to find out whether we're going to retain significant numbers of initial members. "How are we doing" questions, and perhaps "what is the one thing you'd like to see in the near term?".

When (exactly) are the first wave of members due to renew?

ACTION ITEM: Wilson to resend earlier suggested survey questions to Board

In person meeting (Wilson)

from 11 Sept meeting

Set for Nov 8th in Phoenix. Hume and Hughes won't be physically present, but will teleconf in. Albrecht and Wilson will handle logistics of the meeting.

Partnership with TechReach International

Email from Brent Chapman regarding TechReach International which is a fledgling non-profit specializing in applied technology for disaster relief.

ACTION ITEM: Barr to connect with Chapman and come back to board with proposal(s) for cooperation

Non-member reminder mail

Hughes to get ahold of Palmer and get messages sent out this week

New Business

Annual Meeting

We need to hold an annual meeting. Where and when?

move to 25 September agenda; first impressions are that a meeting at LISA is mandated by policy

Adjournment