Board meeting Minutes/28 August 2006

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
21 August 2006
Board meeting Minutes Next:
11 September 2006



Minutes approved: 11 September 2006

THIS WAS THE DESIGNATED ANNUAL MEETING OF THE ORGANIZATION

Present
Tom Perrine (chair), Matthew Barr, Trey Harris, Doug Hughes, Andrew Hume, Chris Palmer, Stephen Potter, Pat Wilson (note taker)
Apologies
David Parter, Sam Albrecht
Opened
20:05 Eastern Time
Closed
21:35 Eastern Time

Consent Agenda

Tabled until next meeting.

Action Items

Board Committees

[ Potter joins at 20:10 ET ]

  • Development Committee (Wilson/Potter)
    • Potter - contact Albrecht regarding moving forward on sponsorship, advertizing proposals - DONE; specific advertising opportunity passed, Potter/Albrecht decided to move forward with generating mockup for future opportunities; Albrecht to develop sponsorship strategy and report to board
  • Partnership and Liason Committee (Perrine)
    • Palmer - Contact local office of possible partner - in progress, haven't heard back yet.
    • Perrine - Write Sysadmin Day thank you letter for volunteers - not done
    • Perrine, Parter, Palmer - Designate which appreciations go to which Sysadmin Day volunteers - not done
  • Leadership Committee (Greg Rose)
  • Policy Committee (Harris)
  • Communications Committee
    • Palmer - Convey Board's decision and negotiate with Rich - DONE, see below
    • Palmer - Discuss possible member survey methodologies with Chavez - not done
    • Potter - Consult with Palmer regarding possible ad mockup - in progress Albrecht to select current sponsor to use
  • Membership Committee
    • Harris, Palmer - Initiate template(s) for future account conversion guidelines to be sent out this month - see Visitor to member conversion plan - DONE

Program Committees

  • Conference Planning Committee (Wilson/Perrine)
  • Technical (Online) Services (Hughes/Parter)
    • Parter - Mailing lists/online forum - no report
  • Content Services Committee (Palmer/Potter)

Non-Committee

  • Financial
    • Hume - Prepare statement about AH payment [due 6/26] - in progress
    • Hume - prepare annual financial report [due 6/26] - in progress
  • Albrecht:
    • Touch base with IRS [due 8/28] - no report
    • Query insurance company regarding possible member insurance options [due 8/28] - no report
    • Send notice of designated Annual Meeting to the Board - DONE by Harris
  • Barr:
  • Harris:
    • Restart Resume Standards project - no progress
    • Present draft financial policies for Board approval (low priority) - no progress
  • Hughes:
  • Hume:
    • Chat with the SNIA Chief Scientist regarding possible partnering [due 9/11]
  • Palmer:
  • Parter:
  • Perrine:
    • Contact Leadership Committee regarding next (summer 2007) election [due 9/18]
    • Contact AH regarding shirt order status and getting an inventory online - DONE
  • Potter:
  • Wilson:
  • All:
    • Re-read business plan and pick top 3 issues for near-term focus for agenda discussion below

Standing Reports

  • Treasurer's report (first meeting of the month only)
  • Membership report
    • See the online report for this week's status
  • Online report

Some site performance issues will be addressed by reducing process memory footprint

  • Training event report
    • see event web site

Steady progress being made

ACTION ITEM: Wilson to contact Parter regarding Training Event questions (primarily dates)

  • Development report

Amy Rich column (Palmer)

It's possible that there may be a confusing trademark problem with Rich's column name, but on further discussion, there probably isn't.

ACTION ITEM: Palmer to contact Albrecht to verify the Board's understanding of the trademark/DBA issue.

In-person meeting?

The sense of the Board was that there should be an in-person meeting this year. As at least one Board member can't make it to LISA and no one reported conflicts with a date around the Training Event, it was decided to do the in-person meeting at the TE. A date needs to be decided, and space will need to be aquired.

Officer Confirmation

[Perrine yields chair to Potter]

[Hume moves for Executive Session]

[Executive session ends]

Officers for 2006-2007 will remain

  • President - Tom Perrine
  • Vice President - Pat Wilson
  • Secretary/Treasurer - Andrew Hume

Near-term focus issues

Obviously, the top two near-term goals are the Training Event and getting the sponsorship program on track. After that, specific priorities are less clear - see the summary page.

[Potter leaves at 2100]

Next meeting

Sept 4th is Labor Day, so next meeting will be Sept 11th.

Notes/announcements

Perrine will be unavailable 9/15-9/24

Adjournment

MOTION to adjourn by Hume, seconded by Barr. Passes. Adjourned at 21:35 ET.