Board meeting Minutes/2 May 2011

From GovernanceWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Prior:
18 April 2011
Board meeting Minutes Next:
16 May 2011



Minutes approved: 16 May 2011

Present
Philip Kizer (chair), Lois Bennett, William Bilancio, Ski Kacoroski, Dan Rich, Matthew Barr
Apologies
Jimmy Kaplowitz
Opened
2007 Eastern Time
Closed
2125 Eastern Time

Consent Agenda

Action Items

RT Ticket Status
User Open tickets
Nobody 5
drich 12
lois 9
pckizer 4
pensezbien 7
ski 7
wbilancio 8
  • Notes
    • Lois and Philip making progress on getting director's insurance application done.
    • Philip will set up wiki to allow searches on 3 letter words
    • Discussion about clicking on a URL pointing into site, logging in and it takes you to home page, but not to page you asked for. Philip will investigate.

Standing Reports

  • Treasurer's report
    • Doing fine with a net positive cash flow.
    • Tax return due date is 5/15 and Lois is working on it.
  • Membership report
    • Membership is ranging from 690 - 705.
    • Lopsagram sent to 705 which is a new record.
  • Technical services report
    • Tech team split into three groups: infrastructure (for servers and os updates), web services (drupal and website), projects (as needed for specific projects with set start/end date)
    • Jesse going to fill out the infrastructure group and William the web services groups
  • Conference/events activities report
  • Mentorship Status report
    • Program held back by behaviour of RT. Leaders of program do not want to expand it until this is fixed. (william will try and get on this problem).
    • Leaders are gung-ho to get items from vendors for raffles/awards to mentors/mentees to encourage them
  • Development report (Meeting focus at first meeting of the month)
  • Upcoming MtM (last meeting of the month only)
    • Appreciate feedback on Lopsagram. New boiler plate is up so if you can add items to it that would be great.
    • William will get list of contacts for Locals


PICC Report (William)

98 attendees. 12 more than last year. LOPSA will get $3840 for the attendees. Thinks he will clear $5 - $10k from this conference. Found a great IPv6 speaker from U of Penn. Classes were good. May add 2 - 4 more training rooms for next year. Date for next year is May 11- 12th. It was a big success. Powershell class also got rave reviews. 2 of the 3 keynotes were very good.

  • Matthew would like us to get involved with the SURGE devops conference 9/28-30.
  • Ski noted that our conferences fill a niche need that has no competition for system admin training in the hundred's of $$ range instead of thousands of $$$.

Table Banners (Lois, William, Jesse)

Google had a fitted cloth banner. It fitted perfectly over a 6 foot table. We would like to buy 3 of them. One for the East coast, One for the West Coast and a floater. They are easy to ship and good looking.

  • Decided to get 2 of these. Once for each coast.

Badge Holders (Lois, William)

We are now out of badge holders. We handed them out at 2 LISA conferences and 2 PICC conferences and at Cascadia. These are good to have for conferences. We need to find out the cost and get the ordering and art info from Derek.

  • These will be ordered.

Separate the Treasurer/Secretary roles (Lois, Jesse, William )

We feel that it's time to start the process to separate the Treasurer/Secretary roles. We feel this should be done before the current election so that the new board can vote for both a Treasurer and a Secretary.

  • Decided to do this, Jesse will write up the bylaw changes.

Discussion with D Edelman about LOPSA at LISA.(Jesse, William)

What LOPSA wants from USENIX for LISA.

  • Philip will send him a proposal to continue our agreement where we advertise LISA and we get a table in the registration area. David will take it to the USENIX board.
  • David also mentioned that USENIX and LOPSA should be able to work closer together.

ServerFault Membership Sort Of (William, Jesse)

Kyle at Serverfault at broached the idea of Serverfault bought their top 20 contributors memberships to LOPSA. What would we be able to do for them.

  • Ski will follow up on this one.

Linuxfest NW report... (Ski)

Not quite as active as last year, but he made a contact at Cascadia Community college and am signed up to give a presentation to their computer science department. This year people are saying they have heard about LOPSA. Lots of folks mentioned that they would have attended Cascadia if they had known about it (especially students). Idea is a credit for one of our tutorials (William will look into this).


Adjournment

Ski motion that we adjourn at 2125 EST and Lois seconded