Board meeting Minutes/8 September 2009
25 August 2009
|Board meeting Minutes||Next:|
22 September 2009
Minutes approved: 20 October 2009
- Subject to verification Trey Harris (chair), Derek Balling, Lois Bennett, Travis Campbell, Ski Kacoroski, Philip Kizer, David Parter, Deepa Solanki
- Dan Rich, Jesse Trucks, <Name 1>, <Name 2>, ...
- 8:34pm Eastern Time
- 9:52pm Eastern Time
- 1 Consent Agenda
- 2 Standing Reports
- 3 Conflict of interest policy (Solanki)
- 4 LISA planning (Balling)
- 5 Yerkes Award (Harris)
- 6 Membership Contests & Discount (Ski)
- 7 OLFU Report (Lois)
- 8 Adjournment
- Approve minutes of 25 August 2009
- ACTION ITEM: Requested that Gentile finish updating minutes
- Amend Project copyright policy to correct the word waved to waived.
- Approve amended Local Policy
- Executive Director's report
- First day back in the office after two weeks. Going through emails and project status'. Full report will be given at next meeting.
- Treasurer's report
- Merchandise expenses will be tracked seperately for each event
- Membership report
- See https://lopsa.org/memberdata for this week's status
- Question raised as to whether member notices are being sent on a regular basis. Ski suggested all notices are bcc'd into a general mailbox. Ski will lead
- Technical services report
- Conference/events activities report
- Development report
- Upcoming MtM
Conflict of interest policy (Solanki)
- MOTION: Approve Conflict of interest policy.
- Bennett motioned to adopt Conflict of Interest Policy. Seconded by Balling.
- Gentile to send out to board for completion and return. Wiki page will be set up to track returns.
To protect the integrity of LOPSA's decision making process, it is essential that every effort be made to ensure that all participants in the activities of LOPSA are governed exclusively by the best interests of the society. Significant financial or administrative relationships which might create a conflict of interest must be fully disclosed and mechanisms established to deal with such conflicts.
LOPSA recognizes the inherent right of members to pursue outside interests. However, these outside interests may affect a transaction in which LOPSA is involved or diminish LOPSA's ability to conduct objective and unbiased decision-making. If a potential conflict of interest exists, it is LOPSA's policy to require disclosure. Examples include:
The need for disclosure applies to all LOPSA officers, councilors, committee chairs, development committee members, editorial board members and administrative staff, herein after referred to as the "disclosees".
Advance disclosure requirement
Each LOPSA disclosee will report each issue, subject, person or entity in which s/he has a financial or other interest where there is the potential for a conflict of interest relating to LOPSA. This disclosure will be made on the appropriate form and reviewed by LOPSA's President and Executive Director, and kept on file in the LOPSA office. To ensure accurate information, each disclosee will review his or her disclosure statement biennially and update as necessary.
Immediate disclosure requirement
When the LOPSA council/board or committee addresses an issue, subject, person or entity in which the disclosee has a financial or other interest that is not listed on their disclosure form, s/he will immediately disclose the potential conflict.
Procedure for dealing with potential conflicts of interest
LISA planning (Balling)
- Discuss LISA planning items
Yerkes Award (Harris)
- Need an award committee and plan for trophy, etc.
ACTION ITEM: Set up web page to acknowledge past winners
Membership Contests & Discount (Ski)
1. Offer discounted memberships until the end of 2009. A new membership will be $40 and they get a free t-shirt.
2. "Why I Joined LOPSA" contest. A member can write a blog entry about Why I Joined LOPSA and then the board can pick the best one and give out a $100 Amazon gift certificate at LISA.
3. "Refer a New Member" contest. Person with the most new members referred gets a $100 Amazon gift certificate at LISA. If a member gets 12 referrals, they get a free year membership.
- Do we want to offer a check for the "lifetime member"?
- Discussion regarding why we couldn't do a two year membership because of a liability issue. Not a liability issue - just an accounting issue. We would have to show the second year of dues as "deferred revenue".
OLFU Report (Lois)
- Board Presence
- Booth volunteers
Adjourned 9:52pm EDT. Motioned by Parter and seconded by Balling