Board meeting Minutes/10 November 2008
27 October 2008
|Board meeting Minutes||Next:
24 November 2008
Minutes approved: 5 January 2009
In-person meeting in San Diego, California.
- Trey Harris (chair), Derek Balling, Matthew Barr, Philip Kizer, Chris Palmer, David Parter, Stephen Potter, Jesse Trucks
- Bob Apthorpe, Deepa Solanki
- Sam Albrecht
- 9:38am Pacific Time
- 8:10pm Pacific Time
- Approve minutes of 13 October 2008
- Approve minutes of 27 October 2008
- Record email MOTION: if we are unable to obtain free replacement shirts from Stitch America, that additional funds ($2000), to complete the original order for Twills and Polo shirts, be authorized so as to be able to have the inventory on hand before the LISA expo hall opens. Moved 8 November 2008 by Balling, seconded by Trucks. Passed 8 November 2008.
- Consent Agenda Approved
- Executive Director's report - Provided by Sam Albrecht, EVP
- Treasurer's report
- Membership report
- Technical services report
- Damian Alexander was invited to discuss technical services. (See notes below for 2009 infrastructure.)
- Conference/events activities report
- Reviewed previous years activities and accomplishments, lessons learned, and began planning for 2009.
- Development report
- Albrecht briefed that a new person had been hired at AH to provide development and a draft plan was being circulated for review and approval.
Recess for break at 11:00am.
Board returns to session at 11:15am.
Executive Session (Harris)
Board enters executive session at 11:20.
- Executive Session with guest Albrecht
Board leaves executive session at 12:34.
Board recesses at 12:35 for lunch and strategy session.
Meeting called back to order at 14:00.
Damion Alexander joins at 14:00.
Damion Alexander leaves at 15:55, and Board recesses for strategy session.
Meeting called back to order at 16:54.
- Sys Admin Day
- Board agreed to contact Ted for continuation of this project. Tech services committee to take lead.
- Sys Admin of the Year - Splunk has cancelled event for this year and would like to discuss partnering with LOPSA to run as a more appropriate (versus marketing) program.
- Discussion on "of the Year" part of the program. Board agreed to contact Splunk about revamping this program. Maybe make "200X Sys Admin Achievement Award" type of program.
- Mini-conference, co-hosted/sponsored events, booth only, etc
- Personal Health Insurance Program
Annual Meeting Prep
- 2008 Annual Member meeting is Wednesday night
2009 Budget Planning
- Monthly pro-forma budgeting, versus straight-line (1/12 per month)
- Develop "cash and cash equivalents" versus "current liability" policy
MOTION: That a policy be set to keep a reserve of $25,000. Moved by Potter, second Palmer. Motion passes.
MOTION by Potter, second Palmer.
Individual directors may authorize expenditure of up to $200 per instance, limited to five (5) instances per year per director, against a pre-approved budget line item without a formal motion from the Board.
Organization officers may authorize expenditure of up to $500 per instance and creation of an ad-hoc budget line item, limited to twelve (12) instances per year per officer, without a formal motion from the Board.
Motion amended by Harris, second Palmer. Motion amended.
- Discussion of 2009 election and communication to Leadership Committee.
Executive Session (Harris)
Board enters executive session at 19:14.
Board leaves executive session at 20:09.
MOTION to adjourn by Palmer, second by Potter. Passed.
Board adjourns at 20:10.